Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
The real reason Steissbachtal is shut...

Hard to believe avalanches could be real reason it's closed. There must be something more intriguing going on...

C'mon anyone know?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, That is nothing unusual.. slides come down all the time ..

They can be cleared...

Still not the issue
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NEpow23 wrote:
Heading to St Anton for first time first week of February - am I missing anything great with Steissbachtal being closed? I’m a fairly advanced skier.

I've spent about 16 days skiing in St. Anton and only seen the Steissbachtal open for one or two of those days. Steissbachtal closed seems to be the norm. If you're advanced, you're missing absolutely nothing. But it does have an unfortunate side effect for you, as described below.

It's mostly a problem for beginners, since the alternative route that remains open is the black 52, which IMO is the most demanding on-piste in St. Anton. Beginners who know this can plan their village descent accordingly and ride the Galzigbahn, but this requires a bit of awareness and forward planning. An unfortunate number of beginners are unaware of this and only realise the situation once they've passed the point of no return. Others may be too proud to ride the gondola down. So the 52 is often littered with people slowly plowing down, catching their breath, getting up after a fall or desparately looking around for the easiest route. On a slushy afternoon, its moguls tend to sap the energy out of my legs too. Smile

When in good condition and not full of people, it's actually an enjoyable ride for a decent skier, so my tip is to try it out before noon, to get a proper experience.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SkiingDad, Please do not jump to conclusions based on 16 days of skiing. Saying Steissbachtal closed seems to be the norm is nonsense. Apart from this year....
@Markymark29, Sorry, but seeing recent avalanches is not a valid explanation for the Steissbachtal situation either. They could have groomed through the avalanche. And the avalanche could have been "man-made". As they do all the time. I'm quite sure the current Madloch-Lech decent is also running through the remainders of a man-made avalanche. Seen the videos of last week of major avalanche-shooting there. Have seen that in former years too.
Also, Zugertobel (similar exposition and altitude as Steissbachtal) etc. in Lech are now open too, contrary to the last few weeks.
So I must admit, more and more signs that the Steissbachtal situation is something different.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 29-01-18 11:23; edited 5 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, Tinfoil Hat time: a ski instructor told me today that ABB wanted to build a sizeable wall down the side of Steissbachtal. A big avalanche barrier effectively. Not all the locals were enamoured with the idea and it clearly did not go ahead.

Is it true? Who knows? Not me - you can get only so much during a lift ride. Are there ongoing issues from that project, with perhaps ABB trying to prove a point? Or... is the simplest explanation correct, ie the snow pack is still too unstable in that area?

BTW: Mint day today. Appears everyone has headed over to the Flexenbahn. StA quieter than I would expect, given the crowds I saw this morning for first lifts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Langerzug, It is for a different reason.

Personally I think its great its closed it makes Bachseite,Zwarte Wand Larches etc almost private tc all the better.

The young 4--7 years old in Ski School love radding down Kandahar, the timid Adults should descend with the Galzigbahn or just transfer over to Seefeld Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:
Ok, Tinfoil Hat time: a ski instructor told me today that ABB wanted to build a sizeable wall down the side of Steissbachtal. A big avalanche barrier effectively. Not all the locals were enamoured with the idea and it clearly did not go ahead.

They do this every previous season in April ....it is not the issue.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Property Investment Loopholes for Non EU/EEA Citizens.

http://www.tt.com/wirtschaft/standorttirol/13944745-91/wohnungs-kaufverbot-%C3%BCber-firmen-ausgehebelt.csp
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, sorry! I didn't realise the Steissbachtal is such a touchy subject.

To be honest, the word "seems" should inform the reader that my all too limited experience doesn't necessarily reflect an objective truth.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Someone tell me that the cold front of temps up to -28c are the top of the Valluga next week.

The middle of the week seems mega cold.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Winter is returning later this week unclear how much snow is coming..

Its to warm right now ....

We need to get back to seasonable temperatures -5 to -10C
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah -10 is no issue. -25+ is.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Should be good enough amount of snow to keep incredible conditions next week if you can handle the cold (good for me cause the crowds won’t be as bad Razz )
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As long as they groom the Kandahar at least once next week 😳
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NEpow23, next 3 weeks will be busy...ita kids holidays in Germany/Holland!Austria
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
@NEpow23, next 3 weeks will be busy...ita kids holidays in Germany/Holland!Austria

But if it’s very cold some of them won’t come out or will stay on lower warmer slopes
latest report
Weather

The end of the month promises a change in weather and a temperature decrease. Mild, Atlantic air masses will determine the weather once more on Wednesday. Besides long sunny spells, partly clear skies and even slightly föhny conditions are expected. However, already on Thursday morning a cold front will signal the end of the recent mild weather. Clouds and snow showers are expected all day long and the temperatures will decrease significantly. The front will have crossed our regions on Friday, however, the changeable and cold north-westerly accumulations will continue to determine the weather. A brief period of improved conditions is expected on Saturday, before a further cold front will reach us on Sunday.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/7XQj5a3INBA
ski holidays
Just back from St Anton - fantastic conditions and weather, although it was a bit warm yesterday and very soft snow on the lower side of Gampen. The pistes seemed very crowded everywhere - is this normal for St Anton? The long blue 100 down to Alpe Rauz was especially crowded whenever we skied it, very cut up and with lots of beginners struggling with the steeper parts and the loose snow. Rendl was a good escape from the crowds and the pistes there were in great condition. The extreme ski route off the top of Riffelbahn II certainly lived up to its name.
snow report
Heading to St Anton in a couple of weeks and planning on spending at least a day in Lech/Zurs. A couple of questions, is it better to ski over or take the bus? If skiing over how long would it take and what's the fastest route?

Also, could anyone tell me which are the best ski routes for strong intermediate skiiers?

Great thread btw, very informative. Thanks to all who keep it updated.
snow report
@Jefferson Darcy,
I've been here three days and two have gone from Lech to St anton and back. My opinion is Lech to st anton is easier to navigate than the other way. One should be a competent intermediate to enjoy the trip. Travelling from Zürs to Lech involves a slow two seat chair and a red run that dumps you in a back street in town. Alternatively you can ski to Zug and up to the Lech side. It's a fun trip either way but not for a novice in my opinion. This is from a first time visitor mind you.
ski holidays
@MontyP, That's the Blue piste that gets everyone down to Alpe Rauz/Stuben to get the new lifts directly into Zurs and on to Lech. THis particular piste has always had more than its fair share of punters trying to get places a tad past their skill level. It used to be the Blue (free) bus to Zurs/Lech, now it's the long link into Zurs/Trittkopf and entry into the Lech/Warth/Zurs pistes. Usually I fly-drive to Lech/St Anton and tend to drive up to Zurs and start skiing in an attempt to escape the crowds.

@Jefferson Darcy, Drive to Zurs and start your ski day from there. There will be more skiers trying the St Anton to Zurs route than vice versa so the busier that direction will be especially first thing.
snow conditions
I guess it depends on whether the journey or the destination is more important.

If you want to spend the day in Lech/Zürs, or even go beyond to Warth / Schroken, then get the Post bus from West Terminal.

If you would like to see the sights on skis, then ski over via Valfagehr and the Flexenbahn. For this option, get out first thing, ie lift open.
snow conditions
@Jefferson Darcy,
Whether taking the bus or skiing is better is really up to you, isn't it? Sure, the bus will be faster, at least to Lech, but skiing is skiing, right? From vague (very vague) memory, you should be able to reach Zürs in an hour if everything goes near-perfect. Less, perhaps? But the route is popular, so expect some queues. Another 1-2 hours to reach Lech. I prefer the route through Zug, as Ptspeak mentions, but it takes a little longer.

I guess "strong intermediate" means you're comfortable on reds? Then, just ski to Zürs and follow the signs marked "Der weiße Ring". Do you intend to spend time in Lech/Zürs or to ski around that area? If skiing is the aim, ski around the ring. Once you're back in Zürs, you'll know whether you are in time for the Flexenbahn back to St. Anton or if you need to ride the bus.
snow conditions
Heading to Warth on Thursday. Any update on likely weather and current conditions much appreciated. The amount of snow forecast for the long weekend has dropped from 150cm to less than 30cm on some websites. Any suggestions as to how far into the three valleys or beyond we might get in a single day (lech, Zürs, st Anton!?). And finally which lift pas should we buy there appear to be 3 options, there for three full days. Cheers snowHead
snow report
Heading to Warth on Thursday. Any update on likely weather and current conditions much appreciated. The amount of snow forecast for the long weekend has dropped from 150cm to less than 30cm on some websites. Any suggestions as to how far into the three valleys or beyond we might get in a single day (lech, Zürs, st Anton!?). And finally which lift pas should we buy there appear to be 3 options, there for three full days. Cheers snowHead
snow report
SkiingDad wrote:
@Jefferson Darcy,
Whether taking the bus or skiing is better is really up to you, isn't it? Sure, the bus will be faster, at least to Lech, but skiing is skiing, right? From vague (very vague) memory, you should be able to reach Zürs in an hour if everything goes near-perfect. Less, perhaps? But the route is popular, so expect some queues. Another 1-2 hours to reach Lech. I prefer the route through Zug, as Ptspeak mentions, but it takes a little longer.

I guess "strong intermediate" means you're comfortable on reds? Then, just ski to Zürs and follow the signs marked "Der weiße Ring". Do you intend to spend time in Lech/Zürs or to ski around that area? If skiing is the aim, ski around the ring. Once you're back in Zürs, you'll know whether you are in time for the Flexenbahn back to St. Anton or if you need to ride the bus.

We tried to do the full ring from St Anton to Warth and back, but were probably slightly late starting (9.15ish from St Anton - late night the night before!). Fine until we got to Zurs but big queues to get up the far side towards Zug. We aborted when we saw the queue for the slow 2-man Madloch chair up towards Zug. The ski route down to Lech from the top of Seekopf lift was also closed (avalanche danger? Or is there a sinister explanation here like with Steissbachtal?) so skied into Zurs and got the bus to Lech. By this time it was getting too late for the full circuit so we did a few runs around Lech, had a nice lunch and then rushed home to make sure we didn’t miss the last lift up from Alpe Rauz back to St Anton.
snow conditions
@Jefferson Darcy,

There is a logic to why they built these lifts max out your liftpass & get the value out of it ...

The lifts were built so folks(wintersporters) would not need use busses or cars.

You pay for a lift pass...use them !!

Bus costs extra ...Cars cost extra....

Everyone complains Arlberg has one of the most expensive lift passes then they pay even more taking buses and taxis..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Snowsartre,
Change in current warm spell..back to winter Snow is expected ....Thursday - weekend

https://wepowder.com/en
ski holidays
@MontyP, @MontyP, the Madloch 2-man chair is the real pain at Zurs. Slow, big lift lines, kiddie punters, and slightly ski-skill demanding, the route into Zug, despite usually great snow conditions, tends to attract numpties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favourite runs is ruined by trippers rather than skiers. Puzzled
snow report
I’ve only been in the Arlberg early season so far when it was very quiet. It sounds like they are experiencing the same problems at Madloch that they were last season. The Flexenbahn moves too many peoplr to Zurs which then causes a bottle neck at Madloch. Given Madloch was already a bottle neck before the new lift this should not have been a surprise.
snow conditions
skimastaaah wrote:
@MontyP, @MontyP, the Madloch 2-man chair is the real pain at Zurs. Slow, big lift lines, kiddie punters, and slightly ski-skill demanding, the route into Zug, despite usually great snow conditions, tends to attract numpties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favourite runs is ruined by trippers rather than skiers. Puzzled

What is the difference between a tripper and a skier?
snow report
stanton wrote:
@Jefferson Darcy,

There is a logic to why they built these lifts max out your liftpass & get the value out of it ...

The lifts were built so folks(wintersporters) would not need use busses or cars.

You pay for a lift pass...use them !!

Bus costs extra ...Cars cost extra....

Everyone complains Arlberg has one of the most expensive lift passes then they pay even more taking buses and taxis..

I don't mind the buses in Lech. I don't mind the lift pass prices in the Arlberg. Come to USA, walk up to the window and plunk down some cash for a lift ticket, and then talk to me about lift pass prices!
latest report
SkiingDad wrote:
NEpow23 wrote:
Heading to St Anton for first time first week of February - am I missing anything great with Steissbachtal being closed? I’m a fairly advanced skier.

I've spent about 16 days skiing in St. Anton and only seen the Steissbachtal open for one or two of those days. Steissbachtal closed seems to be the norm. If you're advanced, you're missing absolutely nothing. But it does have an unfortunate side effect for you, as described below.

It's mostly a problem for beginners, since the alternative route that remains open is the black 52, which IMO is the most demanding on-piste in St. Anton. Beginners who know this can plan their village descent accordingly and ride the Galzigbahn, but this requires a bit of awareness and forward planning. An unfortunate number of beginners are unaware of this and only realise the situation once they've passed the point of no return. Others may be too proud to ride the gondola down. So the 52 is often littered with people slowly plowing down, catching their breath, getting up after a fall or desparately looking around for the easiest route. On a slushy afternoon, its moguls tend to sap the energy out of my legs too. Smile

When in good condition and not full of people, it's actually an enjoyable ride for a decent skier, so my tip is to try it out before noon, to get a proper experience.

+1 mirrors my recent experience exactly. Morning run after recent snow and not too busy- a real joy and for me a nice sense of achievement. Wind on a week later to afternoon with blue run closed. Carnage. A sense of relief having escaped unscathed. What a mess Sad
ski holidays
I wonder with the 50cm of new snow forecast if it will create travel disruption again this weekend?
latest report
I think by Saturday it should be fine
snow conditions
@NEpow23, hope so as I’m travelling this Sat.
ski holidays
Madlochbahn is likey to be upgraded this summer.
latest report
@VolklAttivaS5, @NEpow23,

This weekend and the next Two will be very busy whatever. The highway will be packed in & out always is.

Best to travel by Train.
latest report
@stanton, that’s fine I don’t mind that as long as I can get there on the day I’m meant to and get in my accommodation.
This time (after that time 6-7 years ago when there was a lot of snow again and so the railway and road was closed) I will make sure I can get through before I get on the bus/train. I’d be better off staying in Zurich for a day and having a city day instead of trying to find somewhere to stay nearer St Anton at very short notice.

At least I know what might happen this time to be prepared properly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy