Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
Northface Sonnenkopf is still great down tjrough the trees but be careful where its forbidden (€5000 fine will hurt).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.longboardclassic.com/site/

https://www.sport1.de/actionsport/2018/03/longboard-classic-19-das-woodstock-des-snowboardens-ist-zurueck
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stanton, Looking at those photos they'll be enjoying better snow in Stuben vs last year for sure.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morton’s Fork today (Tuesday). Stay up high and enjoy good snow, but see little or nothing. Ski below mid-mountain and see everything, but get wet and ski on slush & ice.

Chose the former. Did quite a few laps of Bachseite - not particularly elegantly. The bumps up high were, well, tough to spot.

Tough day at the office!

Snowing down to village level this evening, but not sticking.

Mittwoch Update: maybe 10cm neu Schnee on the Galzig. Nice to ski, but certainly not “blower pow”. Marginal visibility.

I suspect it will be quite wet down low, but have not been there since this morning. Streets then were wet.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-03-18 17:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stunning day. Pretty much bluebird for the whole day, except for patches of high cloud later in the day.

About 20cm of new snow. Whilst just about everything easily accessible was trashed in about 92 minutes, fresh lines could be found until the end of the day,

Saw a heli at the end of the day, working an area near the top of Steissbachtal, and the slope below Schindlerkar. There had been a number of skiers “stuck” on that slope, just above a chute. Did not see any evidence of an avalanche, but my angle was not great to be definitely sure. Maybe one called for a taxi ride out???
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ulmerhutte, sounds good. Arrive in Stuben on Saturday Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@boabski, looking good for you. Jealous. We will be on an RJ to Zürich.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Overcast this morning...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sadly, if appears that a snowboarder lost his life in the Schindler incident I mentioned yesterday. Apparently impact-related.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very sad

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/14108643-91/auf-gesperrte-piste-gefahren-brite-48-starb-in-schneeloch.csp

Translation - St. Anton am Arlberg – on Thursday there was a tragic accident in the ski resort of St. Anton. A three-man snowboard group from the UK was on the road downhill in the area of Vallugalifts. Although four signs pointed to a lock, the group went on the "Schindlerkar Escarpment". In the deep powder snow one of them – a 48-year-old Briton – came to fall and fell headlong into a zugeschneites "snow-mouth". There he remained stuck up to his knees in the snow.

His two comrades hastened to help and tried to get the man's head free. It was only with the help of descendant skiers that they could pull the snowboarder out of the snow hole. Subsequent reanimation attempts were unsuccessful, but the emergency doctor could only determine the death of the 48-year-old.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RIP. One of the chutes skier's left of Schindlergradbahn top?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@8611, Below the track out of Schindlerkar I think based on @ulmerhutte, description.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arriving Wednesday the 14th until Sunday the 18th. I have tried to subdue my forecast paranoia until now but forecasts are finally starting to shape. Is next weekend looking as badly to others as it is to me? Seems like lots of snow or worse rain. Normally I like powder as much as anyone but in Europe it seems to make the experience not nearly as enjoyable as in the states(although we will have an off piste guide which maybe will let us take advantage of it)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We have been lite on fatalities this season but not all have been reported in the media...

There have been Two on piste( well known piste) that have gone unreported & i know why:-)

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 9-03-18 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I believe the victim in schindlerkar fell into a snow covered crevasse hitting the snowwall caused by tbe slides up there

The slides moving quite a few a day 30cms...because they cant blast (steißbachtal legal dispute)
snow report
@skiandgolfnut, if you can Arlberg Powder you can ski Pow ! Happy
ski holidays
@skiandgolfnut, so it's not as good powder as in the states why are you travelling all the way to St Anton😜 perhaps because like your fellow countrymen who are there more and more every season you know it’s a better resort than you have in the U.S.?
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@8611, Below the track out of Schindlerkar I think based on @ulmerhutte, description.....

Straight down at the end of the Schindlerkar piste, where the piste turns right, before the barrier fences on the catwalk.

There is a shoulder and a gully on the skier’s left. I saw a group “camped” up there for at least 20 minutes. On the 3rd ride up Zammermoos, they started to make their way down the gully. I did not see them again because I was making for Mattunbahn before it closed.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, thanks for all the updates whilst you have been in town.
latest report
@Markymark29, I think what he is referring to is the fact that you mostly ski above treeline in the Alps and mostly below treeline in the U.S., so it's the visibility rather than the powder quality he is worried about. At least that's my concern when I cross that way.
snow report
Thanks Mike-yes that is what I meant. Mark--I am coming because I know full well skiing in alps shits on anything here at home when visibility and snow are good. By a wide margin. Had the best powder skiing of my life in zermatt last year. But the visibility issue is a problem as is it seems this coming week the snow level (rain). At snowbird it can snow all day and I can keep doing runs and see straight. To me (and experience is limited to 3 trips so i could be wrong), it seems like if it actually snows all day and visibility is low it actually makes the skiing not so great.
snow conditions
@skiandgolfnut, pity you were not in Lech today then. Blue skies and still some freshies left on the Warth stashes.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@ulmerhutte, thanks for all the updates whilst you have been in town.

Thanks and you are most welcome.

We leave for Zürich tomorrow, and hence Australia, after 7 glorious weeks. We had a bit of everything that the mountains have to offer, and that’s a big thing that keeps skiing fresh, especially in the Arlberg.
latest report
Saw this which explains what a Schneemaul is

http://tirol.orf.at/news/stories/2518619/

It was a previous "Schneemaul" incident (thankfully non fatal) in the Mattun area. There is a picture showing the feature the woman feel into, I guess in English it would be a crevasse created by a slab avalanche then partially filled in with fresh snow.

@skiandgolfnut Weather forecast looks pretty good, I am managing to be there weekend 17th / 18th. German weather forecast suggests snow this Sunday evening and then Friday otherwise typical spring sunny and mild weather. Hard pistes first thing, soft sugary stuff at the end of the day. Always difficult to tell how much fresh snow there will be (maybe rain in the valley) hopefully enough to freshen things up.
latest report
I have always known that phenomenon as a “glide crack”. An English language explanation at: http://mountainacademy.salomon.com/en/demo/47/glide-snow-avalanche
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Great updates, safe travels.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
after 7 glorious week.

Ulmer! You can't be posting things like that! Safe journey home
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Markymark29, and @8611... thanks!
ski holidays
Spring conditions in Lech today - late spring... A warm wind like lanzarote

Some nice snow high up, soft then wet as you descend

But at least there's loads of it and the sun shone

Not many people about
snow conditions
St Anton gets the worst snowcracks in the Alps.

It has long been notorious for it.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/UKbIEor7Fao
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, Are you some kind of Ozzy millionaire 6-7 weeks in Arlberg ? Happy

Where do you stay for that length of time?
ski holidays
skiandgolfnut wrote:
Thanks Mike-yes that is what I meant. Mark--I am coming because I know full well skiing in alps shits on anything here at home when visibility and snow are good. By a wide margin. Had the best powder skiing of my life in zermatt last year. But the visibility issue is a problem as is it seems this coming week the snow level (rain). At snowbird it can snow all day and I can keep doing runs and see straight. To me (and experience is limited to 3 trips so i could be wrong), it seems like if it actually snows all day and visibility is low it actually makes the skiing not so great.

How does skiing in Snowbird during a white out make it easier to see vs skiing in the Alps in a whiteout? In the Alps head for the trees. If you've got a guide in the Arlberg I'd hope that is where they'd take you in poor vis.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
skiandgolfnut wrote:

How does skiing in Snowbird during a white out make it easier to see vs skiing in the Alps in a whiteout? In the Alps head for the trees. If you've got a guide in the Arlberg I'd hope that is where they'd take you in poor vis.

Trees exist at a much higher altitude in the states. Differently adapted species I presume. there for much more tree lined skiing.
snow conditions
@mcg, Colorado resorts like Aspen & Telluride are on the same latitude as Athens , hence higher Treeline.
ski holidays
In the states the vast majority of resorts have extensive tree skiing up to the summit. I have not been to St Anton so cant comment but I know at Zermatt while there definitely were a few areas with nice trees, it was generally fairly limited. Where are the best tree skiing areas in St Anton?

Wednesday and Thursday look fairly nice, the weekend looks iffier.

Can anyone on the ground now comment on the snow line yesterday and today? Has it been raining down in town?

thanks!
snow report
Just returned from Lech. Excellent conditions on piste, with even Madloch excellent.
Rain up to approx. 2000 m (?) on Saturday.
Dry with sunny spells on Sunday, very warm, spring snow, but still very good.

Flexenbahn still a fiasco.
Piste nr. 100 is a carnage on sunny mornings.
Long lines at Schindler/Arlenmähder/Flexen in morning, and by return Trittkopf/Flexen/Valfagehr in the late afternoon. But only in the St.Anton>Zürs>St.Anton direction.
People getting on yellow postbus -very crowded- again to get from St.Anton to Lech directly in the morning
Hoteliers in Lech and Zürs are not amused. Lech's Mayor hinting at strictly holding on the Lech-Zürs skipass-limitation (or even more?). Interesting to see what might come up next season.

Sad to see Steissbachtal closed, with consequently Schindlerkar, Mattun and Bachseit out of the question. Major issue in St.Anton, losing its signature routes...

No good years for Arlberg. One starts to wonder about the quality of the people in charge...Wrong focus? Quantity over quality?
latest report
Langerzug wrote:

Sad to see Steissbachtal closed, with consequently Schindlerkar, Mattun and Bachseit out of the question. Major issue in St.Anton, losing its signature routes...

Skiing Bachseite & Matun all the time Very Happy
snow report
For you folks who are unfamiliar with the old route back to St Anton--from St Christoph (Mainsee)

Over on the here some details

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59167#p5153680

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=991&start=4275#p5155710
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy