Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
Wrap up this week folks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
........Apart from us English , who will be insulated between drunken fights, bike accidents and terrorist attacks by our multiple layers of blubber.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Over on the German Forum a nice foto of Steißbachtal

As you can see no Bachseite & Mattun are being skied, been skiing this all season Happy

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=144&t=58544&start=25#p5153788
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very cold today, pistes in fantastic condition, -24C on Rendl this afternoon, same on Galzig this morning. Coffee stops busy.....no ice, some hardback but skiable even with 118mm underfoot - very quiet no queues. Brilliant conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends where you are and when with regards to the ice as there are plenty of blue patches on the lower slopes, especially towards the end of the day once the sugar has been pushed away. Kandahar is apparently also icy in places, I've been avoiding it, almost been taken out by somebody sliding down on his butt, skis in hands.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, after much overthinking, finally booked, 7 days in Stuben at Apres Post, from March 7. thanks everyone for the input and maybe I'll see one of yous on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@andrewcaffrey, Apres Post is nice. Used to be called Post Hotel Stuben

It was completely renovated a couple of seasons ago...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Sitter, was down Kandahar twice today also yesterday - was fine, plenty soft to turn on.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best to stay inside folks if your not used to the polar cold temps
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/_lDFIP7kN2E
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It has surprised me how well we’ve coped in the temps. Ski school for kids finishing a bit early today but I’ve been out for 4 hours today on nursery slopes in Lech and just a bit cold on my cheeks. Base layer, fleece and warm jacket. Kids are wearing thin balaclavas
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Sitter, was down Kandahar twice today also yesterday - was fine, plenty soft to turn on.

It looked like Aviemore in the 80s later in the afternoon!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Official Weather

The cold wave will end, föhny mild days are expected. The cold easterly air current, which has been dominating the weather, will be replaced by a significantly milder south-westerly air current. On Thursday, higher patches of clouds will mark the milder temperatures in the higher altitudes. The sun will weaken. Föhny weather is expected from Friday through Sunday. The extensions of unsettled conditions will be reduced, subsequently the conditions will remain mostly dry. Sunshine and clouds will alternate, the temperatures will remain spring-like mild. More unsettled conditions will approach only next week, the temperatures will slightly decrease again.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lightly snowing in Nasserein this morning. Quite foggy down here.

Yesterday was a classic day - bluebird, still cold, and not that many people out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great morning light snow, heavy snowpack pm. Hopefully better tomorrow too warm now, best weeks of the season are behind us I fear.....pistes are really good still but offpiste heavy.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
, best weeks of the season are behind us

??
Best weeks are ahead of us!!
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
Great morning light snow, heavy snowpack pm. Hopefully better tomorrow too warm now, best weeks of the season are behind us I fear.....pistes are really good still but offpiste heavy.

Sounds like you are going home. Can't explain this nonsense otherwise
ski holidays
Some people prefer the cold, dry snow of winter. Others prefer the firn, or softer snow of spring, with more sunshine.

Each has its attractions. Sometimes you get spring in winter and vice versa.

Why the angst?
snow report
@ulmerhutte, yep, clearly the Dutch don’t understand my tongue in cheek comment.....😂
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
@ulmerhutte, yep, clearly the Dutch don’t understand my tongue in cheek comment.....😂

I understand. I just do not like seeing the word "pistes" Mad Mad

Markymark29 wrote:
..pistes are really good
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/AK8RlTkgUHU
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/L45a10AmzHE
snow report
Day 1 - cruised around Lech and Warth. Many ski routes groomed and they had fine snow. Few small ventures off piste on north facing slopes were pretty good. Nordhand teh pick. Solid otherwise so stuck mostly to pistes. Sun all morning, clouds rolled in around lunch time, and been snowing hard since 2pm Toofy Grin
snow report
@stanton that vid was terrific. were you in that group?
the tree section was amazing. do people ever skin that up from the road, or just come in from the top re: hike?
ski holidays
Yup, a day of distinct parts.

Sunny morning, with temps a little under zero. Lovely skiing here and over to Schröcken via Zürs.

By 12, or a little after, very dark, ominous clouds rolled and the light went flat. Felt warmer.

Around 3pm on the Galzig you could not see a foot in front of you. Braille skiing. Snowing. Sort of. Big queue to download on Galzigbahn.

Went up on the Gampen. Wind strong enough to blow a brown dog off its chain.

Down at street level, it was miserable sleet, but now (6pm), snowing quite steadily in Nasserein.
latest report
It is Saturday again & once again the only day to go piste skiing...empty slopes good German groups/skiclubs.

Warm this morning.
ski holidays
Schindlerkar highlight of a fantastic ski day, empty slopes and sunny. Nice offpiste to be had late morning too, back af Kapall really excellent too. Great week skiing....as always!
snow report
Hi again, I will be arriving in Stuben Tues afternoon. looks like light snow in the forecast.

If you guys can stand it, another question: anyone have experience with hiring schischule Stuben for the three-day group freeride (classic) or Arlbeg Alpin for the one-day group freeride, and have feedback?

Beyond the obvious difference in price, one thing that occurred to me: I'm pretty sure I'm not going to bring my touring skis, just my regular alpine downhill skis. Arlberg Alpin has indicated I dont need touring skis, but Ski school stuben has not yet answered my question, and its web site highly suggest touring skis will be needed.

my boots have dynafit lugs in them, so I'm good there
thanks again, andrew
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a first day in st Anton today, the bluest ski and great piste conditions. Finished the day in the heustadle with hundreds of other people watching the brilliant drierad. Arrived yesterday just in time to see the great Gunar perform in the murrmel bar, Fantastic talent. What can you say about st Anton it's just wonderful.
snow report
@xscreamer, haha! I do enjoy Dreirad at the Heustadl! Always a good end to the day!
ski holidays
Unfortunately the guy caught in the Hochkarspitze Avalanche couple of weeks ago died in Innsbruck Klinik

http://www.tt.com/panorama/unfall/14086788-91/lawine-am-arlberg-64-j%C3%A4hriger-versch%C3%BCtteter-in-klinik-verstorben.csp
ski holidays
snow report
In St Anton from the 11th for ~10 days - can't wait now... the forecast is beginning to look promising.... Smile

Anyone about give me a shout (pm) for a ski.

e.g. Stanton would you be on to ski with a visiting tourist for a 1/2 (or full) day???? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Arriving on the 11th. Is it going to rain much?
ski holidays
Snow Erica, think snow... and maybe look up a forecast Wink
snow report
Over the last few days, since the Big Chill finished, Spring has arrived in the Arlberg.

What were formerly blue ice pistes at the end of day, basically anything below mid-mountain, are now quite slushy.

The upper mountain, especially those slopes that predominantly face north, still hold good snow, some of it quite dry. Bachseite and Ochsenböden, for example, are still very enjoyable.

Weird crowd dynamics today. At lift open, the queue for Nassereinbahn was down the stairs and the street. It seemed that the crowd then moved to Kapall.

Similar story on Rendlbahn.

The Galzig was however all but deserted. That side of the mountain never really got busy for the rest of the day.

Let’s see what tomorrow brings, for the weather seems less promising.
snow report
Oh - it will be better in Lech then. snowHead
snow report
Agree with the weird crowd dynamics. Lapped Kapall a few times this morning, first couple queued for a while to get on the lift, but then on the piste felt fairly quiet. Next time, straight on the lift but the pistes felt packed (the last steeper section of the blue before the flat towards the top of Mattunbahn was reminiscent of Kandahar at 3:45pm).
snow conditions
@andrewcaffrey, Hi. I stayed in the Arlberg a few seasons ago and did a few of these freeride days with Schischule Stuben.

The only risk is a perhaps a few persons not being great off-piste but the guide usually shook them off after a few runs but you have that everywhere you join a group.

As an example: We did laps Stuben north face, grabbing a taxi on the road. Another day we did a skin up to Albonagrat a short ski and another skin to Maroikopft before dropping all the ways to Langen. Many options in the Arlberg of course.

I had ski touring boots like yourself but rented off-piste skis from Skibase in Stuben who have an excellent range of skis. https://www.skibase.net/
snow report
@jamtastx. thanks for the input. still vacilliating between committing to one 3-day bloc versus multiple single days...
think i am going to bring my big praxis powder touring skis after all, and see what my legs are made of after spending too much time this year and last in the office!
if anyone wants to meet up, i will be there from 7-13, flying our 14th, and will try to check in on this forum... will ease in on Wed after a long day of travel Tues.
cheers, and again thanks everyone for the helpful info.
andrew
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy