Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
Has turned into a much better morning than anticipated- especially after seeing Nassereinerstraße turn into “Nassereinbach”.

Visibility up high at Rendl is not too bad. There is a significant amount of new snow on side-pistes, albeit quite heavy. Plenty of people getting acquainted with it via their faces.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sunday Ski Touring (down valley) should be Epic.. Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anothee great empty private slope Saturday to ski
..a few German coaches in the car park..

Some lawine control work been going on ...aa it is quite warm...

One more week of kids ....comi g on today..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was much better than forecast, at least until the rain set in a little after 2pm. Typical spring conditions: almost dry snow at the top of the mountain, hard pack mid-mountain, and slush at the bottom. The last run off Rendl was like skiing a slurpee.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Froze overnight light snow in the air will clear up later..

Apres Ski Bars all saying (despite the snow) worse (numbers) season in years.

Some of it to do with Steißbachtal but generally numbers are down in town especially Brits

This effects staff wages & layoffs
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from great week in Lech and despite extensive search via locals and officials, no nearer to why Steissbachtal closed! The plot thickens.....sorry just seen latest update which makes sense.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 18-02-18 17:28; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Much colder than the preceding days.

More slides into Steissbachtal, probably last night.

Rendl, up high, was delightful this morning. Dry(ish) snow and good visibility.

Tried Galzig, Kapall, and Bachseite this afternoon. Visibility sucked up high, which made skiing the bumps a little difficult. Heading back into Nasserein was “interesting”. Pretty much blue ice. A character-building afternoon!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Interesting... I think the resort has got it's strategic marketing into a bit of a muddle over the last 5 years. The old 'scutter' places like the funky chicken & platzl etc get replaced by new high-end developments, so the scutters go to Ischgl but high end punters still see St Anton as a booze-fueled stag-party and aren't tempted away from Lech. I'm simplifying things, but you get the idea.

They're caught between two stools as we say in the UK

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 18-02-18 20:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27, @stanton, It is simple: snowfall might be good for the mountain, but it is bad for F&B-business. F&B needs sun, and this season is not so sunny up til now.
And definitely the Flexenbahn is costing St.Anton' piste-restaurants, bars etc quite a bit I'm sure. St.Antonians are taking a (hurried) lunch in Lech, thanks to Run-of-Fame hysteria.
Whilst in Lech one should take a slow lunch!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steve Angus mentioned that numbers are down 7% in VDI. It may be similar in st anton, perhaps because of good snow elsewhere, poor weather early season and a weak UK economic situation?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Official Weather

COLD NIGHTS

Freezing air masses will determine the weather throughout the upcoming days and beyond the weekend. Due to a northerly to north-easterly air current, which will be influenced by a high-pressure area, cold air masses will approach from the Arctic. A severe decrease in temperature may arise at the weekend and starting next week. Before, however, usual winter temperatures are expected, particularly as sunny conditions will repeatedly interfere with the weather. The best chances of sunny spells are expected in the high mountain regions. Low stratus is repeatedly expected in the valleys. The low stratus will disperse sometimes earlier sometimes later in the daytime. Significant amounts of precipitation are barely expected throughout the upcoming days, however, occasional snowflakes, caused by low stratus, cannot be excluded.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton,

Quote:

as sunny conditions will repeatedly interfere with the weather.

Will those pesky sunny conditions ever stop interfering with the weather?!

Still, looks like I'll be freezing my dangly bits off next week... Any risk of lift closure because of low temperatures?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@SkiingDad, Lifts do not close due to temperatures only wind & snow. Daytime temp is normal Winter time Temp.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stanton,
Gasp! Are you telling me that I - an adult - will need to make an independent and informed decision on whether I want to dangle about in a chairlift in -30°? Not sure I could cope with the responsibility...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

Interesting... I think the resort has got it's strategic marketing into a bit of a muddle over the last 5 years. The old 'scutter' places like the funky chicken & platzl etc get replaced by new high-end developments, so the scutters go to Ischgl but high end punters still see St Anton as a booze-fueled stag-party and aren't tempted away from Lech. I'm simplifying things, but you get the idea.

They're caught between two stools as we say in the UK

is it not as much this year that the snow is good everywhere and more regular skiers are going to other resorts that would not traditionally have such good conditions.
ski holidays
@mcg, I'd agree with that.....people are spread more across the Alps rather than being drawn to the Arlberg for snow they can get in in their own areas and other resorts.
latest report
Light snow for most of the day, but since it is from the south it is unlikely to amount to much.

Some of the pistes are now rock-hard blue ice.

Much, much more quiet than last week.
ski holidays
Next week should be busier again; Dutch mid-term (largest part that is)
snow report
stanton wrote:
Official Weather

COLD NIGHTS

Freezing air masses will determine the weather throughout the noob. Due to a northerly to north-easterly influenced by a dodgy area of cold air mass, popsicles will approach from the Arctic. A severe decrease in arctic rolls may arise at the weekend and starting next week. However, usual winter temperatures are conditions that will repeatedly interfere with drinking. The best chances of sunny spells are expected in the high mountain regions. Low stratus is repeatedly expected in the valleys. The low stratus will cost twice as much as last year

Shocked
snow report
We can expect it getting down to -20C from Sunday for a few days next week...

Gut wetter für

Glühwein
JagerTee
Schnaaps

Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Possible design for new Schlegelkopf in Lech

http://baumschlagerhutter.com/projekte/oesterreich/wettbewerb-schlegelkopf/
snow report
Lastnights incident in Town.

A Violent "Rabid" Englishman injured a security guard & then attacked the Police.

http://www.tt.com/panorama/verbrechen/14038722-91/security-und-polizist-attackiert-mann-in-st.-anton-festgenommen.csp
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/4Utli1I8lNs
ski holidays
Quote:

Some of the pistes are now rock-hard blue ice.

@ulmerhutte, Hi, turning up Saturday and have only got my wide powder skis 118mm underfoot, (smashed my bindings last time out and had to buy some new ones which don't fit my narrower skis)......how bad is the ice right now, surely it cant be as bad as last New Year when it was sheet ice everywhere? Was hoping to be spending my time off rather than on-piste, is it cruddy or any OP to be had? What do you think the super cold temps will do for it next week?

I see the cloggies are due, need to find some OP if possible, is there any to be had? - don't need to be in the way of them flying about everywhere on pistes out of control! wink
latest report
@Markymark29, you'll be hiring some piste skis then!! With little new snow around and baltic temps the pistes or OP ain't going to soften up anytime soon and sun won't be strong enough for spring snow OP I'd guess!!
snow conditions
Quote:

how bad is the ice right now, surely it cant be as bad as last New Year when it was sheet ice everywhere

When I left on Friday it was raining at most levels and the snow was heavy and wet. I don't think it has snowed much since the.
In which case OP will be grim
latest report
@kitenski, Ha yeah, they deffo won't be sub 90 for sure, don't do piste skis as you know!! wink Might buy a pair of all-mountains if anything going, its getting a bit too often this rain malarkey then super cold temps, don't like hiring.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, be interesting to see how Preachers would ski in such conditions!! You should them and a set of 80mm cheater GS skis 🎿
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, Was going to mount my new Radicals on the Ranger 108's that's narrow enough for me but there's too many holes in them already, Gorgonzola flavoured, hole clashes everywhere......will see how the Rags get on! Laughing
Quote:

80mm cheater GS skis you'll have me going round in circles! wink
latest report
@Markymark29, cannot really add much to the posters above.

We got a nice little top-up last night. Maybe 5 - 10cm in StA and a little more in Zürs. It has “softened” the up-high pistes and off piste, and made them more enjoyable. Not a deep powder day though! 😝

The lower pistes, especially in the high traffic areas, eg coming into Hexaboden, are suitable for ice hockey or Marcel Hirsher.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, Cheers....I'll be watching Marcel and Michi Matt at 2am tomorrow morning!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-02-18 8:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
https://www.stuben-arlberg.at/en/overlay/snow-report.php
Dontcha just love the spin the tourist info takes - compact powder = ice by the sounds of things Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Packed Powder

WTF is that supposed to be. It's either powder or it's packed. Classic cowdoo imported from Cairngorm snow reports.
ski holidays
Slick pistes are much better than groomed couduroy
ski holidays
Hello everyone, newbie from the states here.
was just about to pull the trigger on last minute trip to Lech in early March (first time) but sounds like the conditions are ... less than ideal and weather pattern not yet promising. I've got my pick of chewed over hardpack back home, so it sounds like I should hold off for now, or maybe look to the east side of alps? (flights are more expensive than Bos->Zur. I'm very flexible timing wise, just looking for that perfect cocktail of dry powder and picture perfect alpine views.
andrew

(btw, this forum is super good, much better than that certain one in the states. learned a ton reading old posts.everyone's very generous with their thoughts)
snow conditions
@andrewcaffrey, Welcome!

If you have been skiing for a while, you will have learned that predicting weather a week out is problematic, let alone 2 - 3 weeks out.

If you can jump on a plane with a day’s notice, then by all means wait for your perfect cocktail.

Otherwise, I say come. There is a heap of snow, heaviest year since 2012; close to 4m at mid-mountain. That will still be there in March. The views are to “die for” and they will also still be there.

Take your chances, I doubt you will be disappointed, even if you don’t find the deep powder.
snow report
@ulmerhutte,
I'm flying out on Monday and was wondering where one should go to avoid the ice. Apart from altitude, any particular areas which are less icey?
snow report
@andrewcaffrey, keep an eye on the weather thread, seems to be showing cold and snow for Austria the first week of March!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3197077#3197077

The views will be fantastic regardless of the snow, if it hasn't snowed you've got the chance for some fantastic spring snow assuming the sun comes out and warms up the snowpack. I've got some pics and videos from various April trips here

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
ski holidays
Awesome bronze in Pyeongchang in slalom for local guy Michi Matt.
latest report
@SkiingDad, Don't worry about it, get out early to beat the crowds, stay high preferably on quiet slopes, and avoid south facing and you wont go far wrong. Take plenty factor 30 and some warm layers. I'm on fat skis, not concerned in the least, I don't really trust forecasts over 3 days anyway, says its going to snow back end next week, could easily come forwards from that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy