Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2017/2018 (Mud Season May/June))

Poster: A snowHead
stanton wrote:
@Village, Difficult to tell..imo why Avi Level remains 4-5 which effects the whole Stanzertal (Landeck to St Anton) the situation will remain the same...

I think the SnoPak is so unstable they cannot take the risk..even under pressure from various sections..

Thanks for these serious updates, hope everyone is ok out there at the moment.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Still raining this morning. It is dark, so hard to tell the rate. Very sad! 😰

Perhaps things are slowly improving. Lech Ski TV is showing more lifts and pistes open than yesterday, and an Avi Level 3. St Anton typically does not update until quite late, but the Gampen cam suggests a reasonable amount of new snow - not that we need more right this very minute!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-01-18 6:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Village, it was a nice city trip Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Now snowing lightly, but the temps are marginal.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travel Restrictions may get relaxed a bit today.

St Anton is not alone in being cut off.

It is the same situation round the the corner in Paznualtal (Ischgl,Kappl,Galtur)

Temperatures expected to rise (unseasonably) significantly tomorrow freeze level 2900M
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is new Update on the Tourist Board Website only in German (last time i looked)

Avi Commision are going to probe the slopes..

Some roads will be open for w hile this morning

Next Update will be at 13:00hrs
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ noticed that yesterday. Just back from a week in Kappl and just got out in time. Interestingly St Anton had more runs/lifts open than Ischgl on the days Ischgl was shut/partially shut.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 25-01-18 9:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mountain being progressively opened. Zammermoos, Rendlbahn, and Osthang running.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is a NEW Update on the Official Website

Road Access restored but Railway still closed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Turned into a spectacular afternoon. Fantastic skiing in the open areas.

Maybe 50% of the mountain now open. From the looks of the preparations this afternoon, I expect a lot more will open tomorrow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting morning getting in with the busses, was on one of the ones towards the back of the convoy and we ground to a halt as we exited the road section of the tunnel in to a service chamber. Eventually everybody got out and walked as it turned out one of the from busses had lost traction on the icy road out and had slid back in to the bus behind...

As said above, road links are pretty much all restored now, although there are still some closures further down the valley beyond Pettneu which is affecting some busses. Believe they are hoping to get some of the railway up and running tomorrow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/KBhZWdsv03E
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Trains apparently running again and most roads open.

Maybe 90% of the mountain now open. Notable exceptions include Schindler, Riffel 2, and Steissbachtal. The first 2 were being worked today. Steissbachtal remains full of avalanche debris.

It became clear today that it was not just avalanche risk that delayed the opening of many lifts - a ridiculous amount of snow had to be moved to enable them to operate.

BTW: a stunningly beautiful day, but way too warm for January.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heading to St Anton tonight for a long weekend - looking good! Maybe a bit mild, looks more like a March weather forecast than January!
latest report
Stuben Clean Up !

http://youtube.com/v/s36UK0ph7mc
snow report
Dont forget it Australia Day tomorrow. Always a Big apres ski in the KK & Tapps starting early at 12:00

No Whinging Poms allowed.
ski holidays
Looking for some advice.

I'm driving a rental car from Memmingen to St. Anton on Saturday, and leaving the following Saturday. The car will have winter tyres, I have no experience with winter tyres. How bad does the snow have to be to need snow chains with winter tyres? It won't be an issue driving to St. Anton but it looks like there could be snow on the return leg. The rental company charge €90 for chains, so I'd prefer not to fork out that if I don't need to.
snow report
@conor90,

You will not need chains.

Use the Tunnel for return leg , its cheaper

Better still cancel the Car and come by Train from Memmingen.
ski holidays
Fohn weather till the end of January.

Significant decreasing temperatures will approach at the 1th of February.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/q462T_aeGOA
ski holidays
And the award for most boring YouTube clip goes too 🤓
ski holidays
@boabski, Very Happy

Some folks ask questions about the ArlbergPaß
ski holidays
Schindler opened today. I think that the only thing of significance still closed is Steissbachtal. The latter looks a bit like a glacier, with the avalanche debris “flowing” down the valley.

Not too much of an issue having Steissbachtal closed this week, for it was reasonably quiet. It is going to get ugly on Tanzboden and Kandahar when the crowds build up in the coming weeks.

Nice day today. Started out quite overcast, but finished up being a classic Arlberg winter’s day.
latest report
Steißbachtal likely to remain closed all season.

Cant say why on here but its not Avalanche or Safety.
snow report
Heading to St Anton for first time first week of February - am I missing anything great with Steissbachtal being closed? I’m a fairly advanced skier.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Schindler opened today

And what about snow quality. Is wind or sun affected?

Still deciding where to go tomorrow, if Rendl, Schindler, Stuben, or Zurs. It still will be some line to do?
snow report
Hey: anyone know the real reason Steißbachtal (happy valley) still closed??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead wrote:
Hey: anyone know the real reason Steißbachtal (happy valley) still closed??

Something to do with land disputes or something like that I've heard. stanton refuses to say, although he apparently knows...
snow conditions
Stanton is just big-noting himself, playing that asinine children’s game of “I know something you don’t, nah, nah!”.

Every local I have asked has given the same reason - waiting for the avalanche risk to subside, so it can be cleared.
snow conditions
NEpow23 wrote:
Heading to St Anton for first time first week of February - am I missing anything great with Steissbachtal being closed? I’m a fairly advanced skier.

No its just the main route back to the resort, nice route all the same but I think there are alternatives, steep black and something else
snow report
@ulmerhutte, the locals have a code of silence...

I can 100% say it nothing to do with Avalanche & safety.
snow report
8611 wrote:
NEpow23 wrote:

No its just the main route back to the resort, nice route all the same but I think there are alternatives, steep black and something else

It's the crappy piste that funnels all the muppet beginners and kiddie-skiers who think they can ski back to St Anton and eventually get to Kangaroo/Mooserdrunk and be party animals. Best take the relatively easy black, keeping to the sides so as to bypass the skiers who've bitten off more they can chew trying to ski back to town. Other than that Steissbachtal is the go to piste when heading home.
snow report
stanton wrote:

Evidently that code extends to ABB because their Marketing rep gave the same response - snow pack is still too unstable.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

Yawn, locals happy to share it with non locals clearly, move on, had enough of the playground "I know something you don't"
ski holidays
@kitenski, Believe what you will..@ulmerhutte, that is the official line being put out.
snow conditions
The real reason Steissbachtal is shut...picture by a snowhead out there this morning!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 28-01-18 21:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi there, just arrived in St Anton and wondered what the rules were around ski touring up the side of pistes? Also whether the resort is okay with experienced tourer doing it in the early morning before lifts open?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
The real reason Steissbachtal is shut...

Yup, and that field of avalanche debris looked bigger this morning.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, that was this morning, 9am, taken from Gampen...my photo😜 looking forward to fresh pow this week! Kitenski kindly offered to post it for me (I don’t know how on here) To demonstrate how it is for a safety reason not some other nonsense conspiracy theory that our thread-holder believes to be privy to 😂😂
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy