Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Independent suggests "Ten Ways to be a Greener Skier"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Independent newspaper has an article today by Simon Birch looking at ways skiing is waking up to its environmental impact, beginning with a reference to the Turin Winter Olympics - which are planned to "offset" their CO2 emissions.

The feature concludes with a list of ten ways skiers can reduce their own impact on the planet.

Click here for the full article.

Any comments?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith,

I guess my only question is to why Skiing/Winter Sports writers are obsessed with environmental issues ? I was somewhat surprised when you raised the issues when I joined this board a year go ..( did you pen this article?). I have yet to see a rugby/football/swimming/athletics/cycling etc. article in the same vein.

Given I suspect our chosen sport is a LOT worse than most wrt the environment why are we going on about it ? Guilt ? I even note at least 3 of the 10 ideas ( eg Be more eco-friendly at home) have nothing to do with the sport or its functioning itself ... am I missing something ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, The Independent has had a very strong environmental agenda in recent years, so I guess the Turin Games gave them a good reason to run the article.

This piece of The Independent's, about the warnings of the scientist James Lovelock, is actually a lot more stimulating than the ski article. Lovelock reckons that the planet is now past 'the point of no return'.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
well it's clearly a load of cobblers.

Whilst I'm sure that most who love skiing would like to reduce the environmental impact the brutal truth is that taking lots of short haul trips is bad- all that CO2 in the atmosphere....

You could - take fewer and longer holidays- go once for a fourtnoght rather than twice for a week??

Go ski touring- and pack out ALL your waste-

Or just accept that skiing-like many things isn't very ecofriendly and try a bit harder with the rest of your life.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, I admit to strong environmental tendencies as well and have previously read some of Lovelock's musings but I also readily admit to being a hypocrite as I am only eco-friendly when it suits me ....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Ask your tour operator if they have a written environmental policy; if they don't, ask why not.

And ask for it in triplicate? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

accept that skiing-like many things isn't very ecofriendly and try a bit harder with the rest of your life.

This is clearly the right approach as we accept that sking is not at all eco-friendly, particularly jetting off for long weekends. The shocking news that the 3V burn 550 litres of diesel fuel an hour just bashing the pistes is mind boggling.
We can all try to reduce our overall impact on the environment through the rest of the year. Tree planting, going camping in Cornwall, take the train to Paris rather than jet, recycle, turn the heating off and wear the thermals for more than just one or two weeks a year. How far you take it is a matter of individual choice, and looking around one can easily see extremes at each end of the spectrum around us.
Being aware of the issue is a start, and people will only change if they want to. Coercion will not work on an individual basis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"* Consider another winter sport. Ski touring, cross country skiing and snow-shoeing are all great winter activities which crucially have minimal environmental impact."

Shouldn't that be cruelly Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you don't live in the mountains (and probably if you do), an indulgence in downhill skiing means you're responsible for way more carbon emissions than Mr/Mrs Average Global Citizen. Getting below the average would mean giving it up, along with a lot of other indulgences most snowHeads take for granted. Anything else is mere window-dressing. Those who are seriously worried about the impact of climate change, and continue with their depredations, are essentially hypocrites. Discuss. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, I am a hypocrite rolling eyes nm
ski holidays
 brian
brian
laundryman, no discussion needed. I am a happy hypocrite Embarassed

What's the point of saving the planet if your life's passing you by in a skiless way ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
I guess my only question is to why Skiing/Winter Sports writers are obsessed with environmental issues ? I was somewhat surprised when you raised the issues when I joined this board a year go ..( did you pen this article?). I have yet to see a rugby/football/swimming/athletics/cycling etc. article in the same vein.

I think it's because our sport is so affected by climate change that we're more sensitive in than other sports to environmental issues. The validity/futility of that sensitivity is another question...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AlexF, Seems very valid to me .
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy