Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Be nice to admin...

Poster: A snowHead
The US equivalence of snowhead, epicski.com, are turning off its light at the end of this week. Members are scrambling to save their photos, posts, or their favorite information threads. (I don't post much, only read).

Just a reminder that the "virtual" digital ground we stand on are actually erhhh... not "real".
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I used to go there, but not for a long time.

Why are they closing? I assume costs??

Admin...if you are reading this I would expect a large influx of North America based members to join here. Could I suggest adding a couple of suitable new "Chapters" (or whatever they are called!) to contain and reflect their heavily North American based threads?

....and does this mean that a snowHead original WearTheFoxThat will be back here...I hope so...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rungsp, looks like Vail bought the URL to go with their Epic Pass branding and didn't care baout the forum.

Seems technically challenging and costly to migrate elsewhere.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@rungsp, looks like Vail bought the URL to go with their Epic Pass branding and didn't care baout the forum.

Seems technically challenging and costly to migrate elsewhere.

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can comment, but I was under the impression that if a person or organisation has an officially registered web address then they had the right to keep it unless they chose voluntarily to let it lapse?

Edit: Having looked at the discussion on the Epic forum it seems that Vail/MNC had bought the Epic forum some time ago, so legally it's theirs to do with what they want. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A combination of Vail's branding and Facebook? Facebook has taken over an awful lot of forum activity - and not just for skiing. The bashes are a unique feature of snowHeads that holds the site together, IMV. As for the Ex Epic-ers, I think that they'll mostly migrate to Pug and TGR, if there are not already members, rather than here - though it would be good to see some more American faces.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I was under the impression that if a person or organisation has an officially registered web address then they had the right to keep it unless they chose voluntarily to let it lapse?

I don't think it's that simple any more. Owners of a registered trademark, for example, can use it to show they have stronger rights to a domain name than the existing owner. I seem to remember that individuals can also do the same in certain circumstances.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forums are shuttering up everywhere. The Motley Fool shut down. Probably too much kitchen spam for the moderators to cope with Happy.

Seriously, for corporate owners the liabilities are too big compared to the revenues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Admin sells out to Mumsnet very soon wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to go on Epic quite a bit some years ago, and they do/did have bashes or "gatherings"; a few of us have been on at least one. A lot of the more regular posters were US ski teachers and I suspect that they set the site up to talk to each other.

It then started using a new engine (if that's the correct term) which looked nice but which was shocking to use, especially on an old PC, so I stopped visiting.

I didn't know Vail had bought it, but it was certainly less well used the last time I looked.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Facebook is, I find, a much more transient platform and where its not searchable in any useful way in the same way SH or other forums are.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
https://twitter.com/mumsnet_madness

Is worth following on Twitter, just to see posts about , well , just about anything.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If admin called it a day, then on FB there'd be no more than a handful of small groups of those that often ski together. I'm in 1-2. That's friends I have now (thanks to sH), not friends I don't yet have.
As a forum, FB is useless. As a way of seeing photos posted direct from coffee stop, chair lift, etc. within 2 minutes, it's not bad.
The only thing they have in common is their date of birth.

Never used epicski or any of the others, but it's always a shame when a community gets sold on (esp. if monetised), and then closed.

All my other hobby forums have now been either closed and moved to unofficial facebook groups, or sold and died a slow death.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Epic Fail?

http://www.epicski.com/t/24968/binding-mounting-using-nut-inserts
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Facebook is, I find, a much more transient platform and where its not searchable in any useful way in the same way SH or other forums are.

That's true. But it's vastly easier to post photos to, because images are not size limited, and because posting to FB (and other social media) is built into mobile phone apps. It's also very easy to set up a new group - and there are no server costs to support.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course, there is the bijoux point that many skiers are friends on FB wouldn't have become friends without this forum.
snow conditions
@achilles, but that does leave you beholden to the vagaries of the platform you're on - a la Huddle for Epicski. A lot of the functionality you mention could be done if SH moved off phpBB and onto - for example - XenForo, but as @Admin has pointed out before now there is a lot of customisation which has been done beneath the skin of the forum which allows all the whistles and bells we do have to work as well as they do.
latest report
SnowHeads and Alpinforum are the best ski forums in Europe.

SnowHeads is very user-friendly, expertly moderated, and gets plenty of traffic.

Epicski had a bad user-interface and it was a deterrent to return.

Admin, if not already doing so, should make a push to pick up a few dozen Epicski refugees. For example, open a thread on there today and encourage posters to move to SH (forum closes in 3 days), open a North America section, etc.

Facebook is for old people.
latest report
You'd think Facebook would be able to nail something like the forum chat / topic format but I personally find it awful. I'm on a few Facebook ski groups (mainly buy and sell) and the user experience is miles behind this forum format. I know it's a different target and medium but I couldn't see it replacing this site and community. Got to love snowHead
snow report
Vail bought it to protect the name, relied on goodwill and paying a pittance to site managers to keep it going, sacked people to lower costs, ended up having it run by a casual skier residing in Costa Rica then obviously weren't prepared to foot the bill to migrate it. All of this was inevitable. Something commercial will get launched under the epicski name or it will be set up to divert to snow.com.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
SnowHeads and Alpinforum are the best ski forums in Europe.

Facebook is for old people.

I don't want to worry you but it's a (v) mature crowd on here.

Good idea about posting before it closes.
snow conditions
I was a member on Epicski, sad to see the place go. The Australian Ski Forum that I originate from ski.com.au, the admin there posted in the RIP thread to encourage people to move to the Aussie Ski Forums. I saw a message directing people to snowheads from a member there.

Most people have duplicate accounts with Pugski, because they are kinda engrained with each other over the years. Those only on Epicski will migrate to Pugski or TGR, which I now have accounts on both (TGR for ages, Pugski today). This might get some to broaden their horizons to overseas forums like this and the Aussie one.

Oh and if you want good old Aussie banter and a great European thread with guys who go every year.
Join us down under: http://ski.com.au
latest report
dadmin might want to set up an epicski refugee zone as well.
snow report
I too am sad to see Epicski fold. I saw/see Snowheads as more social, while Epicski was more technical - at least that's how I used them. Complementary versus in competition.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Seriously, for corporate owners the liabilities are too big compared to the revenues.

Not only corporate owners. I used to run a forum for owners of a breed of dog. Someone threatened to sue me due to (apparently) horrid things someone else has posted. It was all nonsense but who needs it?

Facebook is good for photos but I have little interest in the holiday snaps of people I don't know. I like words and discussion and for that, Facebook is close to useless.
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
I too am sad to see Epicski fold. I saw/see Snowheads as more social, while Epicski was more technical - at least that's how I used them. Complementary versus in competition.

Fundamentally serving different geographies. Technique talk probably more detailed over there but oh so boring and lots of I'll will and respect mah authoritee going on.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:

+1 some very good reviewers on there who were in the mountains every day. Shame to lose that feedback.
snow conditions
Got change for a nickel ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
All very unfortunate but... Be nice to Admin? Are you serious? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just for the record I'd like to register my full support for the sentiment expressed in the title of this topic.
snow conditions
@admin, Laughing
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
davidof wrote:

Not only corporate owners. I used to run a forum for owners of a breed of dog. Someone threatened to sue me due to (apparently) horrid things someone else has posted. It was all nonsense but who needs it?

Yes true.

Still Stanton still posts nonsense here so I guess Admin has a thicker skin than us. Smile
latest report
dogwatch wrote:

Perhaps the guy was trying to compensate for his 'Miniature Schnauzer'...
ski holidays
Jellybeans1000 wrote:
I was a member on Epicski, sad to see the place go. The Australian Ski Forum that I originate from ski.com.au, the admin there posted in the RIP thread to encourage people to move to the Aussie Ski Forums. I saw a message directing people to snowheads from a member there.

Most people have duplicate accounts with Pugski, because they are kinda engrained with each other over the years. Those only on Epicski will migrate to Pugski or TGR, which I now have accounts on both (TGR for ages, Pugski today). This might get some to broaden their horizons to overseas forums like this and the Aussie one.

Oh and if you want good old Aussie banter and a great European thread with guys who go every year.

We were in Melbourne a few years ago and were on the point of trying skiing there but it all fell apart (long story). Is it any good/comparable with New Zealand? We also wanted to try it when we were in NZ last year, but the timings and snowfall just didn't fit unfortunately.
snow conditions
Jellybeans1000 wrote:

Judging by this thread you're a bit alternative:

Quote:
I know nobody would use his map to go down the Northeast Spur, and the "walking down is preferable to climbing up " suggestion is a trap for young players with a snowboard on their back and a Mars bar in their pocket.
He gives me the shivers by showing a straight route down. It would take two days with a machette instead of a three and a half hours pleasant walk from the summit. Or quite a bit longer with a broken leg.
NEVER go down the Northeast Spur without first climbing up it and tying your spare jumper to a tree to mark where you must drop off the ridge to visit the lyrebirds and be down before dark.
ALWAYS keep in mind that a wonderrun far down the Glacier must be followed by a climb back up unless you have packed a paraglider.
ski holidays
abc wrote:
"Be nice to admin..."

Absolutely. Let's all support the Royal Society for the Protection of Admins.

By the way, is discussion of the 'elephant in the French ski apartment' still banned?
snow conditions
Hopefully.
latest report
I was shocked to read about the Epicski shutdown. I found it early in its life as I was just getting into skiing, and thought it was a great resource, and it was a post on Epic that brought me to Snowheads.

I disengaged from Epic soon after it became a corporate site, but still occasionally looked up technical stuff there. There were some really interesting discussions between the instructors on the forum.

It looks like they got hit by a perfect storm of an unsuitable platform and ownership by a corporate giant.
snow conditions
Was Epic the site Wears the Fox Hat was involved with a few years back?
snow report
achilles wrote:
Was Epic the site Wears the Fox Hat was involved with a few years back?

Yep
ski holidays
Yep, used it occasionally. A shame.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy