Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Scrambler 7's vs 8's vs Others?!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone.

I'm new here but need some advice on some skis I'm thinking of buying. Puzzled

I'm a level 6-7 skier, 90kg, 6'3" and a non-aggressive skier getting the hang of carving (just!) and ski roughly 50/50 on and off-piste.

I was in La Plagne with my mates back in the 2nd week of Jan (when it last snowed!) and ditched my old 170cm Heads and hired a pair of 175cm Salomon Scrambler 7's to give them a go but also to help me in the new snow.

I loved them. Skied well and had a great time. So.....

I'm looking at buying a new pair but can only get the Scrambler 8's in the UK. Same profile as the 7's but a different binding.

What is the difference between these two skis? Is it just the binding and graphics? I'm a little worried about longevity of these skis too because they seem to be a simple foam resin type construction and not as long lasting as wood cored skis. Is this correct?

I've skied Atomic Metrons and found them heavy and cumbersome - the Salomons were quite the opposite.

Sorry for the waffle.

Off to Val Thorens in early March so I'm either going to buy there or rent another ski to get a comparison.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Guy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or Fischer AMC's?

Like I said, *any* help would be much appreciated.

Thanks v much.

Guy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guy L, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I see the snowHeads have been a bit backward about coming forward on this, unfortunately I can't help though...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get some Rossignol Bandit B2's, would be ideal for your ability and needs, and you won't grow out of them. Much better than the Scrambler's.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try the salomon website. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, not the most helpful response I’ve had from a forum even after following all the forum guidelines, etc, etc.

3 replies in 3 days.

1 telling me to get Bandit B2’s with no comment on my questions.
1 telling me to go to the Salomon web-site. Thanks – great place for a critical and non-biased customer review of the Salomon skis in question.

You might think I’m being paranoid? Well…..

MichaelC writes in about goggles and in less than 24 hours he gets 57 replies.

Hibernia asks a ski selection question on 25th Jan and gets 40 replies. You could have just pointed him in the direction of the manufacturers’ websites and saved a lot of typing surely?

Me? 3 replies.

I can take a hint.

No doubt the replies will flood in now.

bye bye Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Guy L,

not been on this bit for a while so missed your post

the difference between the scrambler 7 and 8 is the 8 is a little stiffer both in longitudinal and torsional flex, so will grip a little better on ice,, you will often find that resort shops offer lower spec skis for rental than the ones for sale sometimes even the same looking ski in retal and retail will be different (rental being softer and more user friendly.

i would try a few more skis before you decide what to buy, have a look at the B2 from Rossignol, the Monster 77 from Head or the apache recon from K2 all are great all rounders which will work well off piste and on the groomed slopes

Salomon skis are ok but i personally believe that here are some far better ones out there...that will last you longer and be more fun to ski on and you do get more for your money form the other brands rather than paying for lots of full page ads in the mags
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guy L, welcome to snowHead

Did you notice the amount of non goggle-related posts on the goggle thread though wink

Shouldn't be a problem with foam cores: my Rossis have them and over the past couple of seasons I've hammered 'em
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guy L, a bit insecure are you?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Don't know anything about the Salomon skis of late so didn't feel I could post.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My ex had a pair of Scrambler 33Ws but didn't like them and bought some K2s instead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use a pair of last year's Scrambler 8 Pilot 165s occasionally. (6'0, 66 kgs). They're 'easy' skis, do a lot of the work for you, small radius turns at 14m, and fine for messing around without much effort in soft snow in particular. Never feel really comfortable on hardpack though, with chatter at moderate speed.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I haven't skied the 7's or 8's, but I have an aversion to Salomon ski's.

At your level, for carving, the Fisher RX6 is worth a try as is the Volkl 4*. If you are less carving and more off piste oriented, then the B2 mentioned above is a good call.

But, try them out before you buy and get the ones YOU like best.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guy L, just bought a pair of Scrambler 7´s myself in andorra they were in the sale for 180 pound i love them too, pity you werent coming here you could buy a pair here Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have not skied on either of the scramblers, but I have heard a lot of feed back on them. Supposedly they are not the best. If you are still improving, you will probably end up growing out of them. They are quite pricey as well. There are a lot of other better companies out there. The only difference is that they do not have the "brand" name. The Rossi B2 are about as good as it gets in that 50/50 category.
ski holidays
I tested a few pairs of skis in Meribel last week - the B2s were my second favourite but the best were the K2 Apache Recon which I ended up buying. I thought both were good all round skis for 50/50 piste/off piste skiing. I would take the advice above and try as many pairs you can before you buy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy