Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen or Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Time for me to tap into the collective wisdom of Snowheads.com to help with a decision,well those that still hang around now that the excitement of the ski season is over.

If you religiously read other threads you might have come across a post explains that, largely as a result of Crystal Skis incompetence, we are buying a motorhome which we intent to drive all the way from NE Scotland to Austria and back at Xmas & New Year. Unfortunately our first choice of campsite at Solden is already fully booked, but those at Mayrhofen and Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis have confirmed they can fit us in for a week from 26th.

Since I've never skied at either I'm after opinions of which ski area is the best? I'll ski anything on piste but have never really ventured much beyond them. The wife, 20yr old son and 10yr old son can all ski up to red, possibly the odd easy black if they are feeling brave. We don't mind repeating runs so not necessarily looking for huge mileage. A lack of lift queues is handy though since the youngest has no patience.

We spent 2 weeks in Mayrhofen during the summer last year and loved it. It'd be nice to see it in the winter and revisit some of the places we ate etc. Campsite is also within walking distance (if not wearing ski boots) of the town and all it's facilities. Also buses to the other ski areas like Ziller for a change of scene and maybe more to do if the snow is late arriving for the third year in a row.

The campsite at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is in the valley at Ried. We've never been there so although it looks like a fair sized village I'm assuming it's a lot quieter than Mayrhofen. That's not necessary a problem, as long it it has a few places to eat out, get a beer and a supermarket we'll be happy. There's a lift to a small ski area right beside the campsite though, but probably only big enough for one days skiing.

Both campsites require hopping on and off of ski buses but I'm slightly concerned that the ones in Ried might only be morning and then late afternoon with nothing in between. So if anyone has used them recently... a long shot I know.

There's not a lot between the 2 campsites in terms of facilities, price etc so it really comes down to the pistes an the ease of getting to and from them.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm only really hoping for opinions on the ski resorts, I'm not expecting opinions on the campsites.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I read the title of you thread thought it might be a tricky one as both areas have their strengths, but having read the locations of each camp site I think it's a no brainer. Surely you will go with Mayrhofen, being near to town, making skiing and Apres a lot easier? It sounds like you already know the merits of the village and ,as you point out, you have 3-4 other great ski areas within travelling distance (+ a glacier). Going to the site near SFL would be a huge risk IMHO and although the ski area is great, it is not worth the risk, when the Zillertal is the other option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ravelin, the ski bus service in Mayrhofen is excellent, no need to walk in boots. Alternatively pay for a deposit locker at the lift base station, this is our preferred option and it works well. Intersport and the Penken is great.

Lots of skiing choice in the Zillertal so a great option.

Where is the campsite in comparison to the town? Which end?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bennyboy1 It's at the ''downhill' or 'Train Station' end of town. I wish now we'd walked around it just to be nosy when we were there as we walked past it at least twice. I'd thought of the locker option but then it might be better to keep them handy to head elsewhere along the valley.

@EdYarker I'm leaning towards Mayrhofen. Apres Ski won't be a big deal for us but we do like to stop off for a drink before heading 'home' and it's nice on New Years Eve to have some fireworks which I'd assume Mayrhofen will do and Ried possibly not. The fact is I think either would work out great which makes it such a difficult decision.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ravelin, Mayrhofen has street party and fireworks at NY.

Ok so train station end means you will need the bus to get to lifts. But it's a quieter end and nicer IMHO.

Out of interest, how does it work with a motor home, can you unhook each day to drive to different areas? Or is that too much hassle each day? Zell is 5 mins drive, Glacier 30 mins.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There is no need to drive anywhere in the Zillertal Valley the train and bus services are excellent and well linked. Ski bus ever 20 min from outside camping.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BennyboyWe've had a caravan for years but this will be our first motorhome and we don't have it yet so I've no practical experience. In theory though you could unhook the electric connection (if you have one) and just drive off, that's what#s supposed to be so good about them. Not sure how much hassle it'll be but you'd need to secure everything and I suspect that if you are staying at the same place for a week, and it has a good free bus service, it'll be easier just to leave the motorhome and use the bus. I did wonder if you were wanting to skis say Kaltenbach, whether it'd be easier to just have breakfast ,unhook, drive, but unless you are sure you are going to be able to park something 'outsized' it might still be better just to hop on the bus/train. It'll be a learning experience for us.

During the summer we took the train from Mayrhofen to Zell Am Ziller then walked out to the ski area for a trip up the gondola there (it's got the most impressive kids play park we've ever seen half way up). I've a feeling though that when I was looking at options that there's a bus from Mayrhofen that goes straight there and it goes past the campsite.

Still not completely ruling out Reid as I've a feeling the campsite there might be slightly better, the town more 'traditional' and I like the look of the ski area. We'll make a decision this weekend, but if my youngest has his way it'll be Mayrhofen as he knows the locations of all the Pokemon Go pokestops there. Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy