Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thoughts on touring gear part 2. Skins.

Poster: A snowHead
@jbob, I did test some 88's in Red last season (2016 Feb) at Kuhtai - but was told by Scott that they would not be manufactured in that colour - your skis look brand new and wrapped so next question is where did you get them from, and presume they have not been drilled?

Anyway I would not worry - you probably got a good deal on them!

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jbob, when I tested them recently, there were a couple of pairs of 88s and they were indeed red: "those are the girly versions, take the big ones" they said...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gotta say, I prefer next year's top sheet though. I'm not loving the broken triangle thing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jbob There were some 16/17 88's made with red top sheets which is what you have.

So far there has never been a Womens version of the Superguide in any of the tree widths.

For 17/18 Scott are doing a womens version of the 88 which is bright red/black and this is the ski that Scarlet saw at the EoSB. It is the same ski* as the mens/unisex version but in shorter lengths, ie 154, 160 & 168. The mens/unisex ski has a very dark blue top sheet and is available in 184, 178 & 168. So if you want the 168 length you have the choice of two topsheet designs on the exact same ski - just like Scott have done for the last few years on the now unfortunately discontinued Reverse/Luna models.

*Note that the actual sidecuts vary a tad between lengths to ensure the required radius etc.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 3-05-17 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Got them from sail and ski in Chester for a v good price. They are defiantly brand spanking new, not been out of the plastic. There's a label on them with no mention of girls on it. I came across an Edge and Wax YouTube video and they were testing red ones. I'm leaving them in the wrapper for now but unless I hear that they are girlie ones I'll stick with them. With recommendations from Jon and HammondR I'm tempted to blow the budget on some dynafit superlites rather than quiver killer some bindings off my other skis. I'm very slightly hesitant only that they don't adjust once you've fitted them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

just like Scott have done for the last few years on the now unfortunately discontinued Reverse/Luna models.

They've discontinued the Reverse as well?! Eeek, very glad I have two pairs of Lunas. What is the model intended to replace them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob wrote:
Got them from sail and ski in Chester for a v good price. They are defiantly brand spanking new, not been out of the plastic. There's a label on them with no mention of girls on it. I came across an Edge and Wax YouTube video and they were testing red ones. I'm leaving them in the wrapper for now but unless I hear that they are girlie ones I'll stick with them. With recommendations from Jon and HammondR I'm tempted to blow the budget on some dynafit superlites rather than quiver killer some bindings off my other skis. I'm very slightly hesitant only that they don't adjust once you've fitted them.

jbobYour skis are fine - see my post above.

If you're concerned about length adjustment on the Superlite 2 then they can be installed with heel shift plates, either initially or they can be retrofitted. There's no issues ski strength wise if retrofitting to the Scotts due to the jokkin' great/tough titanal plate under the top sheets which blunts my drill bits :roll. So if you're not planning a boot change then mount them directly to the ski but it's not a problem down the line if/when you do.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fixx wrote:
Quote:

just like Scott have done for the last few years on the now unfortunately discontinued Reverse/Luna models.

They've discontinued the Reverse as well?! Eeek, very glad I have two pairs of Lunas. What is the model intended to replace them?

They're not as The Ski is so similar and which greatly out-sold the Reverse/Luna.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, what is the point though? As @jbob has clearly shown, no bloke is going to touch anything with the word "female" on it, regardless of whether it is the same ski or not, and I honestly can't see any women who would be interested in a ski like the Super Guide rejecting it on the basis that teal isn't girly enough rolling eyes Just produce a non-floral ski without butterflies in 150-185cm lengths and call it a ski.

And since when was red a "girly" colour?!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jbob, isn't 178 a bit short Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
@spyderjon, what is the point though? As @jbob has clearly shown, no bloke is going to touch anything with the word "female" on it, regardless of whether it is the same ski or not, and I honestly can't see any women who would be interested in a ski like the Super Guide rejecting it on the basis that teal isn't girly enough rolling eyes Just produce a non-floral ski without butterflies in 150-185cm lengths and call it a ski.

And since when was red a "girly" colour?!

Scarlet, The new red Superguide 88 Womens, as with jbob's pair, does not actually say "Womens" anywhere on the ski so it is in effect unisex. Clever bit of marketing by Scott as a lot of ladies are not as gnarly as you & fixx (anyone that uses their face as a brake is truly hardcore wink) and specifically ask for the female version.

IMO Scott really screwed up with the floral version of the Luna as their girlie versions have never had the usual patronising pink flowers/butterflies/hearts like most other brands. I sold loads of Luna's & everyone wanted the unisex topsheet.

Anyway everyone knows that red skis are the fastest Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:
Scarlet, The new red Superguide 88 Womens, as with jbob's pair, does not actually say "Womens" anywhere on the ski so it is in effect unisex.

Fair enough, but he clearly got a bit worried there wink

spyderjon wrote:
Clever bit of marketing by Scott as a lot of ladies are not as gnarly as you & fixx (anyone that uses their face as a brake is truly hardcore wink) and specifically ask for the female version.

What?! Who are these women, and why would anyone want the same ski in a girlified design?! I generally understand the need for softer, shorter models (the problem with "men's" skis is often that the shortest length is too long for a little 'un like me), but if there is no difference other than the colour, again, what is the point? I fully appreciate that Scott are just serving their market and fair enough if they can sell them, but for those of us trying to escape the pink, other people insisting on it really isn't helping rolling eyes

(I had a green stripe around my eye socket last week, but I think it's gone now. My legs still look quite decorative.)

spyderjon wrote:

Nah, I'm sure we categorically demonstrated that the blue skis would leave you in the dust wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Nah, I'm sure we categorically demonstrated that the blue skis would leave you in the dust wink

But some of us were in control NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, Up until the moment of double ejection, I was perfectly in control wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it a bird, is it a plane?
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:

I'm sure @jbob can answer for himself, but I guess slightly shorter than normal is easier to kick turn
ski holidays
@jbob, ah maybe I'm looking at next years.
snow conditions
Themasterpiece wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

I'm sure @jbob can answer for himself, but I guess slightly shorter than normal is easier to kick turn

Exactly. I'm not great at kick turns and as I seize up with age I need all the help I can get. I've previously had some 178 dynastars which weren't at all good in deep snow or crust but were a dream on the up. I'm hoping for best of both worlds.
Interestingly looking at the scott web site the area of real estate with the 184 was very little more.
snow report
@jbob, Actual Superguide 95 specs are as follows:

184cm Length
Actual 'straight pull' length = 1822mm
Boot centre line to tail = 790mm
Boot centre line to tip = 1032mm
Weight per ski = 1530g

178cm Length
Actual 'straight pull' length = 1760mm
Boot centre line to tail =760mm
Boot centre line to tip = 1000mm
Weight per ski = 1450g

I'm 175cm tall & prefer to ski on the 184cm but I've only got a 30"/760mm inside leg measurement so for me the 178cm is noticeably easier to kick turn (both uphill & downhill), especially is soft snow.
ski holidays
@jbob, I only asked because I'm after some touring skis myself, after having a crack at it this year. My normal ski is 191, but my short legs (31") meant I had to adapt my kick turns to a sort of "slide around". No plonking down the tail and dropping it back the other way for me!

My piste skis are 177 and feel/look tiny by comparison.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc,
My legs are also 31" and I can manage uphill on 186cm but would go shorter for a pure touring ski (vs a side country freeride ski). I wouldn't want to go any longer for sure.
snow report
This is going in an interesting direction.
My legs are also short for my height at 31" v 6 foot tall. I found my 178 dynastar alti powders much easier to kick turn, plus once you've nailed a few your confidence rises which also helps a lot.
One other thing, which I'm not sure of the significance of is the dynastars seemed distinctly tail heavy which made them move predicabley when lifted and meant the tip cleared the snow on the upslope better and mainly without the need for much of a kick.
For me it's the distance from boot to tail that makes a difference. The extra area of ski going from 178 to 184 is a hundredth of a square metre. Slightly shorter would also help jump turns but maybe reduce edge hold a bit.

Like many things with ski gear there's a trade off, plus it's easy to over think things, but it's the summer and there's little skiing to do.
snow report
Skins have arrived. I was concerned as it stated "blue" on the order. They are in fact the coltext green wizz version, and very nice they are too. Thin and light with the wizz semi sticky glue. Feeling chuffed, just the bindings to sort out now.
ski holidays
@jbob, first hand experience that they work very well and allow supper quick transitions. They're mixed but are slightly less gripppy than other mixed skins I've had
snow report
@jbob,
I suppose one other thing to consider before taking the binding plunge is boots.

Is there any chance of changing them after your shiny new bindings are installed? I know Jon has described the Superlite adjustment plates earlier. One other Dynafit option which is very similar to the Superlite is the forthcoming TLT Speed (& Speedlite). It seems to be like a slightly heavier Superlite, only with a bit of boot length adjustment. Seems to have a broadly similar ramp too. See unveiling on Wildsnow.

Also, if you will be sticking to Scarpa, or another boot which has Dynafit fittings (as distinct from general tech fittings on some other boots), I would stick to Dynafit bindings of one sort or another. I can vaguely remember in the SkiAlper tests, the release/retention results were almost always less favourable when mixing non Dynafit certified boots with Dynafit bindings, and vice versa. Just a thought.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy