Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All Mountain Ski Review.

Poster: A snowHead
OK, the thread title is possibly a bit of a misnomer, but I did ski four skis over seven days in decent conditions at Snowbird, Utah.

Me, 13 stone/185 lbs/85kg, 5'11", advanced intermediate (ish).

Day One & Two. On arrival it had snowed lightly since the previous afternoon and didn't stop untill around 2.00pm on day one then snowed overnight and into day two. Stayed on marked runs which hadn't been groomed, with snow depth at about 4" on top of the firmer groomed snow underneath. First days of the season and skied last years model Rossignol B2's 174cm. No suprises with the ski as I'd been on it before, it does everything pretty well without shining in any particular area. Predictable, easy to handle, initiates turns easily, floats OK but gets knocked about a little by piles of snow later in the day. Does carve well too, but memories of last season remind me that it is difficult to get an edge into really hard snow. You have to be really going some to get any rebound off it at the end of a turn, but that isn't to detract from it as some people may not like that feature.

Day Three. Powder day. Therefore dumped the B2's and sensibly chose Dynamic SL27 165cm. Didn't ski on the runs too often today (the ones we did had several feet of snow on anyway) and stayed mostly on the single diamond and one easier double diamond off piste routes. Possibly not the best choice of ski for the conditions, but earlier on the big shovel, short length and tight turn radius did provide a degree of confidence as the ski whipped round nice and quickly to allow good speed control for a novice powder hound. On the downside the inside ski was very keen to plough a seperate line if the skis were angled slightly differently. I was also able to discover that some areas of new snow covered an even softer lower layer about 2' down, a joy lost on fatter ski riders, which also enhanced my recovery skills. It took me until late in the day to start performing to any degree of competance, but they are useable in deeper snow. (Also good for strange looks in the ski queue).

Day Three A.M. Nearly another powder day although not really enough new stuff to fully cover all the cut up areas, but deeper snow was easily located. Went and hired a pair of Volkl Karmas in 177cm. First impression was how stable they were just to stand on while gliding in a straight line down to the lifts. The next was how easy to turn they were, very much like the B2's in initiation but even easier to finish turns on, it didn't seem to matter where your weight was. Didn't feel like I'd jumped up about 15mm in waist width from the B2's as they were very similar in performance, but with added float and the ability to spray snow on anyone following you. Probably had more rebound than the B2's at the end of the turn, but they were still knocked about quite a bit by cut up snow as the morning wore on.

Day Three P.M. Swopped the Karmas for Dynastar 8800's 178cm. These were a little more involving than the Karmas'. You had to keep you tips weighted and drive the ski more with your shins, especially to finish the turn. If you get lazy the 25m turn radius makes things interesting by straightening you up and pointing you down the hill at a speed faster than you'd expected. On the upside, it doesn't get deflected about very much in cut up snow; so if you don't like the look of the emerging bump run then you just ski through the newly formed bumps. It's also more work to carve turns on, but when it does carve it is nicely stable. More so than the B2's or the Karma's.

Day Four, Five and Six. Bought the 8800's and lived on them through another powder day and two days on wind blown powder. Got used to the extra work needed to turn them, so that by the end of day four I didn't notice it any more.

Day Seven. Moved to Deer Valley Resort which had fully groomed hard snow pistes only. Back on the Dynamic's and WOW! Once I realised that they don't let go of an edge until you want them to it was just a case of being able to carve everything with SL, GS or Super G turns, or a combination of all, sometimes on the same turn. A big grin day until the taxi came to take me to the airport.

Conclusions, for piste work buy a slalom or slalom carver ski - it is like cheating, honest, and makes those groomed runs really fun. For deeper snow get a fatter ski to help with float and one with a big turn radius to help with balance and which eliminates the "twitchy" nature of short radius skis. With a cynical hat on, if you buy a ski in between, you have to work equally hard to make it work in either of those snow conditions. If you don't want two skis, then buy a fat or a slalom (dependant on the usual snow conditions where you ski) and hire the other now and again when conditions change.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc gledhill,
Quote:

Conclusions, for piste work buy a slalom or slalom carver ski - it is like cheating, honest, and makes those groomed runs really fun

I bought a women's specific carver last year, and they are really pants. No matter how much I pressure the shin, the tips flap around/get deflected..have to ski them slooowly. I'm now looking at mid fats, like the Stockli Stormrider AT and the Movement Demon Flame, tested both, enjoyed both, even on boiler plate!. I guess we all have different needs, and skis work in different ways for lots of us snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, strange, what were the slalom carvers?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, I'm not sure they could be classed as slalom carvers, however they are definitely narrow underfoot at 64mm. They are Atomic B9W, supposedly with a wide performance potential, maybe it's me rolling eyes . I seemed to get on so much better with the mids, even though I tried the Dynastar Legend 4800 and loathed the lack of edge grip and general soggy nature, they still gave me more confidence at speed than the Atomics...weird, but I am y'know Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbunny, Ah, I see. I'd guess that the slalom carvers I'd be thinking about in the Atomic line would br SL9's or ST11's.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm now looking at mid fats, like the Stockli Stormrider AT and the Movement Demon Flame, tested both, enjoyed both, even on boiler plate!.

How did the Movement Demon Flames handle? I have been interested in purchasing a pair, but haven't gotten around to testing them yet. I am specifically interested in how they handled on groomed trails and on moguls.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A Random Skier, They were pretty good on the hard stuff, and I found a few soft bumps, but not many, to try them on. I did a short review here.. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=13120
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Marc,

Nice trip then, you sussed the easy, Utah, dry powdery stuff then, now try it in Europe Wink

Got any pics?

Assuming your missus has a pair of skis do you take 3 pairs on hols? I packed my Fischers for my 3 days, then took them out of the bag as it made the bag v heavy and long! Hoping to take them to Courcheval in April though!

The 1080s were surprisingly good on the piste, esp as it got a little slushy under the European heat Wink

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny wrote:
marc gledhill, I'm not sure they could be classed as slalom carvers, however they are definitely narrow underfoot at 64mm. They are Atomic B9W, supposedly with a wide performance potential, maybe it's me rolling eyes

I think they are probably just softer than a full slalom ski which is probably the issue (and I'm betting a women specific is even more so) - my C9s have something of the same affliction but I forgive them because most of the time they are quite good fun snowHead

I am tempted to follow marcs advice tho' (which makes sense to me) and try out a full on slalom ski next time I hire, I figure I have the weight to put behind them and the stiff flex boot, must be worth a try seen as I am always on piste...

aj xx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DECENT CONDITIONS?!?!?! Oh, Marc, c'mon! Fresh snow every day is "decent"?!?!?! Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, a great trip thanks. My carving improved, but my powder skills jumped from "terrified of it" to "looking for it" snowHead . I'll try the Euro version next week (I hope rolling eyes ), but I was told that the Utah stuff was slightly heavier than usual as the temps didn't drop too much below freezing.

ssh, it's the Northern English way to understate things Very Happy . Nice to see you posting back on here though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so are you taking 3 pairs next week marc?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, yep.

My SL's, the 8800's and the wifes 5*'s. But I'll take two bags.

I've had it when the kids grow older Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, it was definitely not the normal Utah fluff. But sometimes in the shade and trees, I hit come amazing pockets. It was pretty wonderful, wasn't it?

...and thanks for the welcome back...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ajhainey,
Quote:

snowbunny wrote:
marc gledhill, I'm not sure they could be classed as slalom carvers, however they are definitely narrow underfoot at 64mm. They are Atomic B9W, supposedly with a wide performance potential, maybe it's me

I think they are probably just softer than a full slalom ski which is probably the issue (and I'm betting a women specific is even more so) - my C9s have something of the same affliction but I forgive them because most of the time they are quite good fun

According to the S&R blurb, my B9W is identical to the C9, mind you, they also said it was stable Laughing
ski holidays
marc

Quote:

If you don't want two skis, then buy a fat or a slalom (dependant on the usual snow conditions where you ski) and hire the other now and again when conditions change.

Fair point but it is extra cost and hassle. I notice you didnt try Stockli Stormrider XL or Legend 8000 either of which may have worked as a one ski quiver. I doubt the stocklis give much away over a carver in terms of edge grip/rebound/etc and offer more fun in the crud powder.

J
snow conditions
jedster, good points too. They didn't have Stockli's in at all, or I would have tried them.

I didn't try the 8000 either as I already had the slalom skis, so was specifically looking for something around a 90mm waist.
snow report
marc gledhill, nice review. i came to the same conclusion as you and now own some atomic sx11s and some dyna legend pros. thing is, i always go away in the hope that i will find powder (no matter how hopeless it may seem) so the sx11s tend to stay at home
latest report
snowbunny wrote:

According to the S&R blurb, my B9W is identical to the C9, mind you, they also said it was stable Laughing

Yeah - I think they are, other than some lightening technology - i remeber reading that somewhere too - my point is the c9 (and thus presumably the B9W) is no where near a slalom ski (at least mine aren't) despite the narrow waist. It's got barely any 'kick' to it at all. That said mine are stable in a strange way - the front dithers a bit but unless I look down I usually can't tell it's happenning and somehow despite the 'wibble' I find them quite confidence inspiring and very easy to turn and control - plus if you go fast enough they seem to sort themselves out wink Still going to try and get hold of a full on slalom for a day though and see what I think - always assumed they'd be too stiff but I'm coming to the conclusion I like stiff skis... aj xx
snow conditions
marc gledhill, I thought you bought the 11000s Wink
snow report
ajhainey,
Quote:

It's got barely any 'kick' to it at all.

You can still accelerate on the tails though.
Quote:

plus if you go fast enough they seem to sort themselves out

I was unable to get up enough speed to iron out the wobble, before my nerve broke.
ski holidays
Very Happy I don't ski that fast! I think it's perhaps more to do with me being _ahem_ a little bit heavier than you Blush That may also be the reason behind them seeming to lack kick, come to think of it rolling eyes I'm off to la plagne in a few weeks, so I'll get the chance to rent something more agressive and see what the final verdict is... aj xx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy