Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying with a snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

This might be a silly question: Can one use a roller snowboard bag as your main luggage, containing both your board and your other "stuff"? As opposed to checking it in as sports equipment?

Something like the Dakine Low Roller. In general, and Easyjet in particular

Cheers, Robin Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can with BA but most airlines require it to be checked in as sport equipment, you can still put all you other 'stuff' in ski/board bag. Don't think there is much difference in price though £30 for a case and £35 for sport equipment.

If your flying with charter/package some are fussy and you paying per ski/boot set.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dklemm, thanks 😀
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Swiss and Lufthansa have free carriage if you take a classic fare (not light) just call after booking to add sports baggage.
Easyjet jet 2 Ryanair you can take roller up to maximum weight (20 or 22kg) as one piece of sports luggage plus carry on.
BA let you take it instead of a suitcase as long as its under 23kg.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@robin_mxx, easyJet will want the bag booked as sports equipment, but you can bung other stuff in the bag up to their 20kg limit for "small" sports equipment which is how their website suggests a snowboard should be categorised. However, you might want to carry more than 20kg, which is where things become interesting...

Whilst you can add extra weight to hold luggage online, you can't do that for sports equipment. You could book an additional bag online at vast expense, and then you can pool the allowance and take up to 32kg in your snowboard bag. However, if you ring their customer services they may tell you that you can book the bag on as "large" sports equipment for an extra fiver and get a 32kg allowance. Or they may not.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone, sports equipment it is Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Robin Agogo wrote:
Thanks everyone, sports equipment it is Very Happy

Hold on Robin. Where are you flying from?

I assume it is the EOSB. If you want to go BA you get it as a hold bag. Current price is £108 return from Gatwick.

However, if you want a hold bag and board bag and fly BA..... if you fly one leg club europe (one leg is an extra £60) then you get the second bag free on BOTH legs. You ale get lounge access on the business leg and get free food and drinks. So it starts to pay vs EasyJet.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GlasgowCyclops, that's a lot better than I thought, I'll have a look Very Happy Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Robin Agogo, if you just have one board and are going for one week you will get everything in a roller board bag 23kg, a decent size carry on bag/roller plus a daypack/personal item. BA allows all this and hand luggage has no weight limit as long as its within size limits. I've done it many times meaning I don't have to pay for ski carriage however if you must have a suitcase too then upgrading one way is the way to go as it allows extra bag on both legs. Try to upgrade on the way out as its the upgrades leg that gets lounge access.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
speachmaus wrote:
@Robin Agogo, if you just have one board and are going for one week you will get everything in a roller board bag 23kg, a decent size carry on bag/roller plus a daypack/personal item. BA allows all this and hand luggage has no weight limit as long as its within size limits. I've done it many times meaning I don't have to pay for ski carriage however if you must have a suitcase too then upgrading one way is the way to go as it allows extra bag on both legs. Try to upgrade on the way out as its the upgrades leg that gets lounge access.

Agreed - Did a trip a few weeks ago with SleazyJet and I was a good 4-5 kilos below their weight limit with everything in my board bag and a backpack which had my laptop
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've ended up going with EasyJet, with a board bag checked in as snowboard equipment and a carry on backpack, I'll see how I get on. I'll definitely be looking at BA next time Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For reference (to complete the set) I did the same on Ryanair and BA with no problems....but BA do oddly say you can't have your ski boots in the same bag (maybe that doesn't apply to snowboard boots Happy

In reality it seems unlikely they'd check (they never asked me), but an annoying clause to have.

BA also allow you 3kg more than Easyjet and Ryanair (I think).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And of course BA is just "nicer" haha
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vjmehra wrote:
....but BA do oddly say you can't have your ski boots in the same bag (maybe that doesn't apply to snowboard).

Did BA and kit this morning, they didn't question a thing and just allowed me though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Did BA and kit this morning, they didn't question a thing and just allowed me though.

I doubt they ever check, it's just one of those annoying airline clauses to keep you guessing if you're the paranoid type.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy