Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many km do you ski in a season

Poster: A snowHead
@SteveKirby, don't be a cock. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thornyhill wrote:
@SteveKirby, don't be a cock. rolling eyes

Don't think its me being the cock...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@SteveKirby, why are you so angry?!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@SteveKirby, do you want a hug
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm serious @SteveKirby, I'll give you a hug
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Come on @SteveKirby get back here
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moseyp wrote:
@SteveKirby, why are you so angry?!

Not angry at all, don't big yourself up Smile you have made 500 plus posts so know that the vast majority of posters are 1 week a year skiers (or people who have never been skiing before) so the "I've done 2000km, is that that more or less than average?" routine look a bit self indulgent to me...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SteveKirby, there you are! get into my arms
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would disagree with you though. Quite a few of the posters I interact with here do live and work in the mountains all season long. There's plenty of instructors, chalet owners and seasonnaires here - many of the more active contributors.

The majority of threads here aren't relevant to me - I don't go posting abuse in them though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also - I didn't ask this
Quote:

"I've done 2000km, is that that more or less than average?"

I typically only ski in the morning, so I know my figures are probably on the lower side compared to say, a ski instructor teaching intermediate/higher end skiers six days a week. But I'm interested to see the difference
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moseyp wrote:
I would disagree with you though. Quite a few of the posters I interact with here do live and work in the mountains all season long. There's plenty of instructors, chalet owners and seasonnaires here - many of the more active contributors.

The majority of threads here aren't relevant to me - I don't go posting abuse in them though.

Methinks the lady doth protest too much Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Huh I thought you assumed I was a man when you called me a cock but obviously not

Do you want the hug or what?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LET ME HUG YOU @SteveKirby
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SteveKirby wrote:
... so know that the vast majority of posters are 1 week a year skiers (or people who have never been skiing before) so the "I've done 2000km, is that that more or less than average?" routine look a bit self indulgent to me...

We ski a week a year maybe 2 or 3 when all the stars line up. I don't see a problem with his post. I know there are many here who ski to the moon and back* twice before lunchtime.

moseyp I'll take your hug ** wink

*depending on how close the moon might be during any given post

**please be a really fit 20 year old female Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Thornyhill, I gotcha!
snow conditions
@Thornyhill, I'm a beaut
ski holidays
Kirby is missing out
ski holidays
moseyp wrote:
@Thornyhill, I'm a beaut

Are you grooming me now? You are really a fat old bloke. Very Happy
ski holidays
snow report
snow conditions
0km for me Very Happy
ski holidays
perhaps a post about how many km you do a day on average would be better. Then everyone can join in. I average around 40 km a day ski distance.
latest report
@garethjomo, sure, but the thing is I specifically would like to hear other season long figures. Like I said, this year I've skied the same distance as I drove to and from home to get here (length of France) - which I think is rather interesting. I've recorded past years on the same app but lost them when I've changed phones so I can't see how one season stacks against another, which is a shame
snow conditions
@moseyp, Fair enough. For the record I did:

downhill skiing - 732km.

My Max speed was 112.2 km/h

My average speed was 22 km/h (but that keeps recording on lifts and stops (if I dont pause)

My max altitude 3227m

I did 304 runs

Info thanks to Ski Tracks
latest report
I honestly never look at crap like that. It all comes down to how much fun I had between sleeps.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, your loss!
snow report
@moseyp, why? It's not a willy-waving competition, it's exactly as @Frosty the Snowman says. This year I covered far more miles in St Anton & Saalbach than I did in Val d'Isere, but ValD was far more satisfying to me because I was touring/off-piste and the others I was piste bashing with groups of friends. Nothing wrong at all with piste bashing, great fun with nice people, but I'm not learning much and certainly couldn't do that every day in a season. 3 runs in a day after a tour/hike, or 20 runs lapped on 2 or 3 lifts? I know which I'd choose. I don't care what my max speed was (I know I'm rapid when I want to be) even less so my average speed.

The saddest site in skiing these days is a group of blokes (always blokes) whipping their phones out at stops and comparing stats. For me, it goes against the ethos of the mountains.
latest report
@Dr John, why? Because having an app doesn't detract from anything. You don't have any less fun. It doesn't take anything away

Also why do you think measuring distance would be impressive to someone? I've never heard anyone say "I skied 28.46km today, what did YOU DO???" Don't know what piste skiing has to do with it either - I use it for everything. Even nordic skiing

I'm repeating myself now but I'll say it again: I'm not concerned with high numbers - I don't even ski in the afternoon. My average day is 20km or less. That's low. And I'm not interested in raising it - I'm just interested in what I did in particular relative to something else (like the drive down, or the distance to the moon if you like , or vertical Everests etc etc etc etc). If you're not curious - that's okay too! But you(vous) don't need to attack people that are
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dr John, also I never said anything about speed, and I'm a girl. That doesn't take it out until the end of the day to stop it recording
snow report
moseyp wrote:
I've never heard anyone say "I skied 28.46km today, what did YOU DO???

Except for, erm, yourself in your original post;

moseyp wrote:
I've been logging my days and this winter was about 2,150km. Relative to other winters it's a bit more that usual. Anyone else do it?
snow conditions
Again, again, my point being - I'm not interested in DAILY figures, or getting them just for this: "
Quote:

whipping their phones out at stops and comparing stats

As you can see - because you quoted it - my original post was the season figure, and if you read some of the other posts you'll see it's also not a very large number. One poster skied the same amount of days as me, but 600km more. This is what I'm interested to know
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I honestly never look at crap like that. It all comes down to how much fun I had between sleeps.
+1
latest report
@moseyp, you're still comparing stats. Anyhoo, each to their own. But at the end of each day, over beer, me and my friends naturally talk about the day, stuff like good day today? Where had good or bad conditions? How are your new skis running? Did you see that berk stack it getting off the lift? etc etc. Everyone holding up their phones and saying I did 42km, 100k max, 17k average, let's have a look at your stats - it all just lacks a certain soul, you know? It also excludes learners and improvers from the conversation. I'd much rather listen to a learner excitedly explaining how they pulled off their first carve, or conquered that tricky blue that they always fell on, than a red run hero boasting they did 50km in the day, hey check me out.
snow conditions
Can girls willy wave? 😂 @moseyp, just ignore them all. Like you I use skitracks and don't really look at it at all from one day to another let alone during the day. Really proud of my 331 km/h though, straight up that's what skitracks shows 😃
latest report
@Dr John,you're still missing what I'm saying

Quote:

Everyone holding up their phones and saying I did 42km, 100k max, 17k average, let's have a look at your stats - it all just lacks a certain soul, you know?

No I don't know, because besides from the fact that I've never done this - I've also never seen anyone else do it. I doubt you have either. And it's got no relevance to what I originally posted - this thread is deviating into something a bit absurd
latest report
@Claude B, definitely not this girl

people get so wound up about the most stupid things here....
snow report
@Claude B, compare cleavage, perhaps?

@moseyp, not remotely wound up, simply putting my point of view over. Skitracks (and similar) is a divisive subject amongst skiers, see also helmets, and listening to music whilst skiing/boarding. You were always going to get some negative feedback on the subject.
snow conditions
I think I'm a cock..... in the context of this thread.

That said I ignored it at first and only engaged cos it kicked off wink
I usually find moving on is better than simply taunting the poster.

And sorry but I don't always remember to turn on Ski Tracks so no idea how much I have skied. It was mostly bloody good though.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 24-04-17 15:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Dr John, hang on - the question put wasn't "skitracks, good or bad - discuss"! it was "how many km do you ski in a season"

and it clearly does wind up people, who can't just ignore the post but need to argue ....
ski holidays
As a few on here know and subsequently make satirical comments I'm a great fan of Strava as are all the people I follow and who follow me!

And did you know that there is actually a SnowHeads Group on Strava primarily for cycling?

Anyway I digress, I pretty well record all my activities, which is great to look back on over the years and compare. However I tend to opt for quality over quantity dependent on conditions etc so I have no interest in kms skied / vertical sat on a chair lift / gondola.

And has been mentioned I might only go up the hill for two or three hours and very rarely will I ski all day unless I'm in a group / guide scenario and the skiing is exciting etc

If we have piste orientated friends out for a "week" I almost dread having to accompany them, and most realise I get to be a grumpy old git and don't mind me making my excuses about not wanting to eat on the hill and disappear back down on the pretext of having work to do.

So I could probably work out how many days I've donned skins in a season along with how many times I've been on road bike / MTB.

Though have to say I'm staggered at the speed some people lay claim to using these apps - It's well known amongst cyclists that many GPS Phone apps are notorious at inaccurate recording both speed and vertical.

It's only when you have a designated GPS / Barometric reading can you be reasonably sure of the accuracy rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy