Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Thuile/Champorcher at the Weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After having our original plans thwarted by the closure of Milan Malpensa on Jan 27th due to too much snow we arrived back from Italy last night after a great 2 days of skiing.

We'd originally planned to ski Champoluc but the excellent www.skiinfo.it site suggested that conditions there werent very good even after the large dump last weekend. This added to the fact that our planned hotel wasnt available made me look elsewhere.

We'd skiied a day in La Thuile a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and wanted to go back but thought the drive from Malpensa at 10pm friday would be a bit too long. After a looking at the other Aosta valley options on skiinfo.it we found the Hotel Chardoney at Champorcher.

As a cheap and cheerful base i can definately recommend it as long as you dont mind the 25 min drive up from the motorway. It took us 2hr15 from Malpensa including a stop at Novara to change a punctured tyre! Hotel was 147 euro for double room for 2 nights including dinner with wine on the Saturday evening - a bargain!

Skied La Thuile on Saturday and the conditions were excellent, particularly on the Italian side. We enjoyed skiing overto La Rosiere in France especially the really long run no.7 on the way back . Conditions on the French side werent quite as good.

Sunday we visited the local slopes at Champorcher. Only a few runs but mostly in good condition. If you go there i'd recommend an early start as by lunchtime the queues were building and we decided to ski back down to the village and head off for lunch down the valley bofore driving back to Malpensa.

It's the third weekend trip we've done to Northern Italy and i can certainly recommend it! An added benefit is that prices are so much more reasonalbe than for example any of the big French resorts. Many of the resorts are probably too limited for a week but i think a week skiing a different resort on the Aosta valley pass could be great fun.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad to hear you got sorted Rodger
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Roger C, Thanks for sharing. Very interested that La Thuile was in good nick. Should still be OK even in a fortnight for us as it holds its snow well.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C My partner is from Pont-st-Martin which is on the other side of the valley from Champorcher (you pass it on the motorway from Milan/Turin, its just before the turn off for Hone/Champorcher). We have skied at Champorcher at few times and absolutely love it. Its very small and impersonal.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roger C, glad to hear things have improved at La Thuile, though I'm not sure when? On Wednesday Jan 25th they were pretty grim, and not a flake of snow has fallen on this side of the mountain since. That said, there were some big dumps at the end of last week in Italy and they must have just made it up to to the plateau over into La Ros - great news, as snow was seriously lacking, with blacks closed and icy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, It is a very strange thing the weather. As you say not a drop on your side of the ridge. 30 cm on the italian side however, or so the web site says. We were in La Thuile at the start of Aprl last year and it hadnt snowed since early January. They had however done a remarkable job at keeping the runs open and in average nick. Here is a photo of conditions down at base station
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very pleased to see conditions are still Ok as off to La Rosiere this evening looked as if it was snowing a bit when I looked at web cam but forcast is showing higher temps towards end next week with rain forcast!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevinrhead, i would recommend heading over to La Thuile for the best conditions!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi

I'm getting the powder alarms too, however I'm a bit sceptical of them. I got one this morning for 30cm but all the reports going around are for 4cm on the northern side of the alps so I don't know where that 30cm is coming from. What is la Rosiere like today? That should have got more snow than .La Thuile.

d
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy