Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap flights

Poster: A snowHead
hannah29,

seeing the trailer for a program on ryanair next week i'm not sure i want to fly with them whatever the price

life jackets missing, no passport chaecks, cabin crew so overworked they fall asleep mid flight Skullie Skullie Skullie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hannah29,
very true, and i can swim.........mmmmm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Watch out for the credit card fee that gets added at the last minute to your booking, the overpriced onboard drinks, the corporation bus interior and the fact that it costs more for your skies to fly than you. Other than that Caveat Emptor, its still a cheap way to get to the resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CEM, has anyone survived a plane crash where the life jacket would have been useful?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Talking of cheap flights, I see German Wings flies to Zurich - so could interest some skiing in Switzerland. I used them this week to fly to Stuttgart on business. Went well for me - walked straight into the check-in desks. The flight out was on time - the flight back delayed a little for de-icing. Luggage recovery was quick. So much so, that at Stansted it was waiting for me on the carousel once I cleared immigration. mind you, I wasn't carting ski kit. Cost? £28.97 including credit card fee and all taxes and fees - booked well in advance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hyweljenkins,

don't know and don't really fancy trying that experiment, but the thought that you did not have a chance if there was a problem is a little offputting
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Titanic didn't have any parachutes either.

I loathe Ryanair. Hideous attitude to customer service. Actually, no customer service just a hideous attitude to those stupid enough to contribute to MOL's generous bonuses.

I won't fly them if there is a reasonable alternative; plus Gatwick a lot more convenient & cheaper. Also, I find on the routes I want, BA or equivalent are usually better value for money all round if booked well enough in advance.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is it really that bad? I don't expect much from the low cost airlines, that way I'm not disappointed. When I think back to a few years ago and 'cheap' fares of £200 upwards, each way....

I've flown with Ryanair to St Etienne plenty of times, or collected a lot of friends/family flying to southern French destinations, and on balance I can't see what the problem is. What sort of customer service can one expect for a few pennies.

However safety, maintenance standards, that's different.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The fee for a debit card is much cheaper than for a credit card, but they do still charge for that as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ryan air is fairly grim.. no leg room and pretty tight on the weight stuff..
on the plus side tho it does what it says on the tin.. its cheap , they do good flight times for getting to europe early n getting back late
and they fly to convienient airports for a lot of people .. for short haul they do a good enough job..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PG, Gosh that is a long and complex subject and not one that I could profess to understand at anything other than a superficial level, but NO maintenance standards are the same or at least very similar) for all aircraft (give or take type and age) in any given jurisdiction.

Without going in to the specifics of Ryanair's C of A and their maintenance and overhaul agents , I would be happy with the overall system and am yet to meet anyone in European aviation who is prepared to compromise safety standards for a few bucks - nor anyone in aviation who suggests that they (Ryanair) cut costs at the risk of pax safety . Maintenance lapses do of course happen and missing life jackets (usually temporarily) is a classic - how often have you checked for yours? Do we really care about them - (other the inference that you would naturally draw about the airworthiness of the aircraft) ?

It's a natural inference for TV folks to say low cost = unsafe. Thankfully ( with the possible exception of the Valujet scenario) there is no evidence in the first 20 years of that as far as I can see. If you look at the cost of maintenance and overhaul it is not significant in terms of the overall operational cost - seeing as most of that cost is mandated by law , why would you focus on it anyway?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We can all too easily knock Ryanair, but I for one have had loads more holidays because of them. Taking 5 away is never a cheap option, particularly in school holiday times, but they have usually offered the best prices. I have never had a problem that has not been my own fault.

Long may they continue is what I say snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eEvans, fully agree! I should have been clearer, but I wasn't suggesting any substandard attention to safety/maintenance details from the lowcosts. Only saying that I personally wouldn't expect more in terms of customer service levels, with the caveat that I haven't a clue whether there was any corner-cutting elsewhere. Glad to hear that you think not. And good to see the recent Europe-wide (?) list of substandard airlines being drawn up, although I imagine a blacklist of this kind can be manipulated...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easyjet currently have a flight sale on, some good prices from newcastle to Geneva.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG, ... and I should read what is written, not what I thought was written Embarassed
snow report
hannah29, thank you. I booked 2 flights last night Stanstead to Grenoble, one way £9.99 and £0.14 the other Shocked
It soon adds up with skis, taxes and charges though, my final bill was £122, but that's still very cheap for 2 of us.

And we get to ski Les Deux Alpes at last, and have a lesson or two with Easiski snowHead

We're going out on Thursday 16th - Wednesday 22nd March if anyone else is there.
snow conditions
PG, I dislike Michael O'Leary's attitude. I dislike the attitude of the checkin staff. I dislike being made to feel like cattle at the airport.

On the contrary, I find Easyjet make the whole experience that much better.

To put another way. Easyjet appreciate that you have a choice (and often compete with "traditional" carriers). Ryanair almost universally do not. They have a monopoly on many routes.
snow report
Price wins at the end of the day £202 to fly 5 of us to Salzburg - mid you we did end up in Klagenfurt Very Happy - but that was due to weather!!

Even with car hire it was way cheaper than driving. And the car hire gave me the opportunity to introduce the locals to the phenomenon of the School Run!! Should have taken my 4xe4 after all!!

Boyo
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I think that's just Stansted, they're lovely up here. We've flown to Bergamo with them and they were great.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, could be, could be. The cabin crew are generally alright I will admit.

Ryanair have also had some fairly dreadful "abandonment" scenarios...

Q. Now you've cancelled my flight, when's the next flight out?
A. Next week!
snow conditions
There's a C4 "Despatches" documentary on Ryanair showing on Monday night including covert footage. Bein myself biased, here's the original allegations from Despatches to TRyanscair here

In fairness the entire correspondence is published...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 10-02-06 19:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Always been ok when I have used them, so I'm something of a fan, they've definately helped drive prices down, which can only be good for independant travellers. Quick check in, despite the seeming scrum no problem getting seats together even though I do just let the stampede go ahead and take a more leisurely approach and they have always dropped me on time and at the appropriate place - which is usualy small and quick and with a transfer coach waiting outside....Plus legroom seems to me to be better wth them that with most - definately better than charter wagons and about equal to BA - haven't managed to fly easy jet yet! I can cope with taking my own sarnie and drink on board in return for flying for £50 return or so...

I do think they are not exactly flexible though, I wouldn't want to be stuck with them when things go wrong.....I can well imagine them cancelling your flight and just leaving you there!

aj xx
ski holidays
Can anyone recommend any good locations to fly to with Ryan Air and what resorts they are close to? Am looking for resorts with a good number of Green and Blue runs which are cheap for transfers and accomodation.

Any ideas anyone?
snow report
David Murdoch,

Did you mean to post a link?

I've flown with RyanAir several times and never had a problem. I expect little from them - if a flight leaves & arrives on time, I'm satisfied. Legroom, meals and baggage allowances are what you should expect to do without when you pay very little for your seat, I'm afraid.
snow conditions
kosciosco, salzburg - great for a whole host of easy austrian resorts. aj xx
snow report
I actually don't understand why the "standard" air;ines are so much more expensive. I've never noticed more leg room with BA for example, the food is inedible, so you pay way over the top for what? I love the cheap airlines (although I understand working for Ryanair is akin to being a slave), however, brilliant for the impecunious.
ski holidays
easiski, I hope Stelios licenced your use of his TM Toofy Grin Within Europe the 'Standard' airlines are a similar price to the "Low-Cost' guys where competition exists - granted the booking conditions may be different. I frequently pay too much to travel with Easyjet and others , they are not 'Cheap' - if they can put their prices up they do !

Working for ANY airline is akin to being a slave rolling eyes , seems a bit like being a ski instructor

Not taking away anything from the Low-cost guys; they have enabled a lot more people to travel extensively.
latest report
Particularly us beleagured folks 'up north' who are lucky to get a scheduled flight to anywhere other than Heathrow or Gatwick, and hanging around either of them is my idea of hell. Until Ryanair and Easyjet came along we were stuck with charter flights and therefore package deals, although we have actually driven to Stansted a couple of times, as it was less complicated (and cheaper) than a BA connection at Gatwick to Turin-we can travel out OK, but can't make the return connection to Newcastle.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 10-02-06 18:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a major fan. I've got about 4 sets of flights booked on one or other from now till July and at least one more to book before then Very Happy. Ryanair did scupper my early March daytrip to Turin though and I'm now going to Basel.

kosciosco, you need this thread or this thread
snow report
eEvans, Missing lifejackets are not just a Ryanair syndrome - incredibly passengers nicking lifejackets is becoming a major headache for airlines! I was a bit gobsmacked when I heard, but they retail for about £200 each. It's seemingly easily done, but apparently anyone that gets caught, gets the book thrown at them.
ski holidays
BernardC, I bet!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy