Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste rescue in 3V

Poster: A snowHead
magriggs, see earlier in this thread, I had no problem when I broke my ankle in Corvara, Italy. Lift off the mountain is included in the price of the dolomiti ski pass.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ah great, thanks!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good job i brought carre neige, as on the tuesday of my trip my girlfriend fell on an icey patch over in meribel and put her arm out to stop her self, which resulted in her braking her arm. The extra insurance was worth while, saved on the evcauation from the piste, and plus didnt have to pay to get her skis back, and as soon as i mentioned the carre neige they bent over backwards to help. From now on i will always purchase carre neige.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

jtobin03

I have heard about carre neige before but was wondering how much it costs and where you get it from?

Cheers,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ooops, thatill teach me not to read past posts - I have found all the info on page 2. Confused

Thanks,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
3 little points from me folks -

in Jan when one of our group did their medial and cruciate in Saas Fee she was charged 70 chf after being to the doctor for the snowmobile that took her to the medical centre

later in Jan (some of you might remember me talking about a mate whose wrist was severed about 1 cm deep by an out of control skier in Verbier last year, when he came back over from Atlanta this year there was a note and all his ski gear had been dry cleaned and kept in the hotel ( it had been covered in blood.)

A collegue from work got a bill for 25000 chfs for his air ambulance rescue, as there had been some cock up on his insurance policy....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
snowbunny wrote:
I was told many times, that the only assurance acceptable in VT is the one issued at the VT lift co. ticket offices.

Isn't that the Carre/Carte Neige? Or does Val Thorens have its own, unique insurance policy?

Does anyone know if this 'insurance' question in Val Thoren's was ever answered?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, Carre/Carte Neige does work in VT. In fact it is a global policy. I know cause i am at the moment filling out a claim form which they provided me after an accident in Meribel. The form is simple and in English.

Just to add my story, I was knocked out last week (with a helmet on) and the pistueres sledged me down to the Mottaret medical cabinet. I was given a bill and told to present my insurance at the 3V's office 20 metres from the medical center. THey took my skis and stored them at the 3V's office, i think for both mine and their security.

The doc saw me immeadiately, exam and Xrays, and presented me with a bill (150 Euro) which was paid by CC without issue. The Pisteures office noted my Carte neige number and no paperwork was required exect for signing for receipt of my skis on the injury form (301 Euro for the rescue without insurance)

Three days later i returned to the Medical cabinet with vision problems and the physician saw me without charge and organised an emergency visit in Albertville. I saw an opthomologist in Albertiville without waiting, skipping by the others in the office. A very thorough exam for a suspect detatched retina and after almost an hour was billed a whopping 43 Euro by CC. again no issue and a form given for my insurance company to claim back the fee.

All extremely professional, low cost IMO and handled with great patient care, the Meribel doc insisting i pop back come what may to see how i got on and to help with translation of the Opto's results as her English wasnt perfect.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Can't recall ever being offered it by a tour operator. or indeed antone else.

As far as I can remember every single time I have ever bought a lift pass, for myself or anyone else, in France I have been asked whether I wanted insurance and there are prominent notices about it. If you buy it with the lift pass the pass is marked, but you can buy it separately and then need to retain the till receipt When we have bought season passes they come without insurance, and you have to buy it separately from the "club des Sports". We have had a few incidents of friends/relatives evacuated off slopes in France with, and without, Carré Neige, and not had any problems up to now. But, as the stories above show, it's not always like that.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having bought passes from a TO en-route to resorts, on no occasion have I been offered CN. On most I've had to request it, then usually explain what it was. When buying in resort, from experience, I'd say about 50% of the time has it been offered as part of the transaction. There has always been a mention on the price board of CN.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Having bought passes from a TO en-route to resorts

good point i have had that problem as well, and it always mystified me why a rep wouldnt know about the carte neige or how to add it to the lift pass cost rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It does surprise me why reps are so unaware of CN - I'd have thought mentioning what it does and covers would be viewed as not only a responsible thing to mention, but also show the TO in a better light.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mark Hunter, Could it be that they are not on any commision when selling CN? I suspect this is the sole reason why they have never sold it....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But if you are with a TO, then their T&C will have required you to take out insurance at least the equivalent of theirs, and theirs will always cover all the costs of rescue/transport/treatment for any on-piste injury.

So the only point so far as the TO reps would be concerned would be that it will sometimes allow you to avoid having to pay up front.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney, Yes, their (the TO) insurance will probably cover for all of those - but only post-event. i.e Pay up front and then claim it back - this is the whole point of the thread, isn't it?
snow report
That was my take.
ski holidays
Guvnor wrote:
alex_heney, Yes, their (the TO) insurance will probably cover for all of those - but only post-event. i.e Pay up front and then claim it back - this is the whole point of the thread, isn't it?

It is, yes. But people were surprised that TO reps weren't particularly aware of it, and don't offer it by default.

I was just suggesting that to them, there is little point, as it doesn't offer any real perceived benefits (until you are the one they are refusing to transport without payment of course!).
snow report
alex_heney, Plus the fact that neither the TO nor the Rep will get any commision for selling Carte Neige, unlike the lift pass (assuming they are even allowed to sell it on?) where they make, I believe, a small cut come the end of the season....
ski holidays
All the TOs I've bought lift passes from have charged the standard resort price. Where resorts have an electronic tag system, there is usually a 4-5€ deposit that can be claimed back for the return of the pass. Some reps have openly suggested that by doing the leg-work for punters at the beginning of the holiday it's a nice "gesture" to leave the passes for them to collect on the deposit at weeks end.
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, I believe there may be some form of kickback available to TO's for the number of passes they sell throughout the season. I cannot confirm this, nor exactly how it works, and would certainly not want to stand up in court and offer this statement as evidence.

(but I know of resort reps who have worked this way in the past - no reason to suspect it may have changed)
snow report
Quote:
their (the TO) insurance will probably cover for all of those - but only post-event. i.e Pay up front and then claim it back - this is the whole point of the thread, isn't it?

Don't necessarily need to pay up front; practice seems to vary. TOs regard the work involved in sorting out accidents and insurance claims as part of the job. When my daughter in law was evacuated off the slopes in Les Gets, years ago, the rep was very surprised, that evening, to find I had sorted out all the insurance and repaid the pharmacist for the leg brace, got all the paperwork etc. It never occurred to me to get anyone else to do it for me! On that occasion we didn't need to pay up front for the transport; she got transported down the to the medical centre, then back to the chalet in an ambulance in the leg brace. Our own insurance (Snowcard) was brilliant; I telephoned them right away and they subsequently arranged for a special flight back to their local airport, private ambulance both ends, etc. The small amounts I'd paid locally were all refunded, bar the excess. Lissie was never too enthusiastic about skiing; she's given it up now. Having babies instead.....
snow conditions
ise wrote:
davidof wrote:
Still in the UK it could also be a cocktail of local police, volunteer mountain rescue and RAF along with paramedics.

That cocktail is invisible to the end-user though, you ring 999 and incident coordination is handled by the emergency services .

The same would apply in France if calling 112 in almost all other situations, but I doubt the pisteurs call 112/999 once you're at the bottom. As per Davidof comments, they don't call the emergency services, they call a private firm..
ski holidays
I used Carre Neige last year in VT to be blood wagoned of the slope and ambulance to the medical centre. Worked a treat, everyone was greatr and happy, the ambulance tech's even hung around to watch the doc put my shoulder back in the correct place, we all had a good laugh together once that was done.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy