Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Any body been to Montgenevre recently or know the area. There are 10 of us going on the 12th feb. Conditions don't look to promising at the mo. Any information of the slopes runs apre etc would be most welcome.
Some snow would also be great!!!

Cheer Little Angel s
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, and welcome to snowHeads bigtoe! Less than a week to go and you need a miracle - sorry but conditions in Montgenèvre are not brilliant, they missed out on the mid-Jan dump.

At the moment the "Milky Way" link into Italy is closed, unfortunately. Still, there are a majority of runs open, even if they must be 'boneshakers' at the moment! But you never know - there is a little snow expected in the area on Thursday and Friday, and more longer term Tues and Wed of next week, so you could still get lucky!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bigtoe,
welcome to snowheads

not been there for a long while but there are a couple of good bars on the main street and if you want to eat out one night and don't mind taking a short taxi ride there is a great pizza restraunt in cesana (if i remember rightly it is on the left as you come into cesana from Mongenevre) the name escapes me at the moment, but i will post it when i remember, it is very well know so if you ask in resort the locals and staff will know it

enjoy your trip and heres hoping for a bit more snow for you (do you get a chance to go to sestriere for any of the alpine events??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the above.

Yes we hope to get to Sestriere on the day the chalet staff have there evening off. I don't think there is any point trying to ski there as I have read here that there are only two runs open to the mere mortals, all the others reserved for the practice runs. Is that right or are there more open.

we were also thinking about hiring a couple of cars and going to another resort that has snow that is near by. Can any one give a recomendation.

Thanks again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM wrote:
bigtoe,
one night and don't mind taking a short taxi ride there is a great pizza restraunt in cesana (if i remember rightly it is on the left as you come into cesana from Mongenevre) the name escapes me at the moment, but i will post it when i remember, it is very well know so if you ask in resort the locals and staff will know it

cabassa [sp?], its got some tennis courst right next to its own car park
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Serre Chevalier is not that far away, but a bit lower from what I remember. Stayed in Montgenevre over Christmas a few years back and had a great time, but we did have plenty of snow! Unfortunately the memory is a bit fuzzy about where we ended up... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulhothersall,

thats the one thankyou
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Serre Ché is only about 20 mins drive down the hill when the road is clear. Yes, the SC 'base' villages are lower than Montgenevre but this year it has much better snow, even low down.
You could even shorten the drive slightly by going only as far as Briancon and taking the lift up onto the 'end' of the Serre Che linked system from there. ? Called - Prorel ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did one run over in Monty about 2 weeks ago and if it hasn't had any snow since then I would definately recommend that you hire a car! It was very rocky with a lot of grass coming through and areas which were white where just ice. Not very fun. The lower runs that head into the town which had been cannoned were better but won't keep you that interested over the course of the week. On the up side they were building a half pipe down near the town - presumably to give the seasonaires something to do other than sit in the bars and get drunk.

Serre Che is less than a half hour drive and it is only about an hour and a half to ADH and LDA so well worth jumping in the car and heading out of there I would say! Think we have a little bit of snow due in ADH this week but not sure if they have any forecast in Monty - fingers crossed for you though! snowHead Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cheers everyone.

Getting very excited now.

Any more info is great to read.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bigtoe,

Below is some information I posted on this site about 10 weeks ago, you may find it useful.
The bus should go to the Briancon lift. At Christmas/New Year the snow on the Briancon sector was good apart from the top which was unskiable. So you may need to take the ski bus to Chantemerle (every 20 mins) the whole the snow was fairly good here at Christmas, web site still states that it is OK.
http://www.ot-serrechevalier.fr/en/hiver/domaine_skiable/meteo.html

You will be there when he Olympics are on, so travel by car is likely to be subject to very major restrictions. You should check this out before you hire a car. (There might be additional buses to Braincon during this period.) Check with the Tourist Office.

Have a great holiday

Try this web site to confim bus details.
http://www.autocar-resalp.com/

LMaMeJVSD LMaMeJVSD LMaMeJVSD * LMaMeJVSD
Briançon 7h45 10h05 13h45 17h45
Montgenèvre 8h10 10h40 14h10 18h10
Clavière 8h15 10h45 14h15 18h15
Cesana 8h25 10h55 14h25 18h25
Oulx 8h45 11h05 14h45 18h45

Oulx 9h10 12h45 16h45 19h20
Cesana 9h25 13h00 17h00 19h35
Clavière 9h35 13h10 17h10 19h45
Montgenèvre 9h40 13h15 17h15 19h50
Briançon 10h05 13h40 17h40 20h15
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bigtoe, just came back from Sauze and had a couple of days in Montgenevre and Claviere. I thought snow conditions were ok although I'm not sure about off-piste conditions. Avoid the area on the right of the resort (as you drive in from Italy) as only 2 runs open (however the long blue back to town lets you get up a fair lick of speed - it's the only thing to make it worthwhile). I didn't think that any of the pisted runs were all that challenging but allowed some fine tuning of technique. The link in to Italy (Claviere) had just opened on 2/3 feb and you can get back (but not the same way). It is also possible to ski from Claviere all the way down to Cesana but unless you want to do some serious poling then you need to take the closed piste (its not difficult just ungroomed). Claviere has a better choice of runs and mountain restaurants. You won't be able to ski in Sestriere or Cesana-Sansicario coz you're in the middle of the Olymics but most of Sauze will be open however to get there you need to get the bus (40mins?). Anyway relax and have fun! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chris O'Loughlin,
Quote:

You will be there when he Olympics are on, so travel by car is likely to be subject to very major restrictions. You should check this out before you hire a car. (There might be additional buses to Braincon during this period.) Check with the Tourist Office.

You're not wrong there. Travel between the resorts of the Milky Way is subject to severe restictions during the Olympics. Basically to go to any of the resorts in a private car you need a permit for that resort. Permits have only been issued to residents of each particular resort and allow them to travel to their resort only!! To travel between resorts requires the use of public transport even for residents of the area Shocked . Not sure if they have busses going directly from resort to resort, or if you need to go down into Oulx and change onto the bus for your required resort.

bigtoe, I'm not sure that heading to Sestriere on the wednesday will be worth the hastle. You may well spend all your time sat in busses Evil or Very Mad And will probably have to leave fairly early to make sure you don't miss the last bus home Sad Not even sure if the taxis will be able to get between resorts either unless they have managed to procure all the relevant permits. Maybe a black market has sprung up for these...very Italian Very Happy You may be best looking to travel into France than to Italy, it sounds as if it could all go horribly wrong Embarassed

Whatever happens, remember...you are on holiday so enjoy Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When we booked the ideas of having an afternoon relaxing watching some of the worlds best showing us how to do it seemed like a great idea. Dosn't now though. If there was some decent white stuff there then you wouldn't even have to consider going any where else. I certanly didn't consider whole resorts would be closed down to other skiers and private cars banned from the roads. If this is what it is like for the winter olimpics imagine what London will be like in 2012. Only busses and trains taking people about the place can you imagine it No bus for an hour then 20 turn up rolling eyes The roads out there must be empty!
Cheers for all the info I guess if the skiing isn't good then ill have to make up for t in the bars Toofy Grin

2 days to go
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bigtoe, No probs, enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
bigtoe,
I don't know what the driving restrictions are but if the skiing conditions are seriously bad the full area pass entitles you to a day in Puy St Vincent, Serre Che, 2 Alpes and Alpe d'Huez all are within a reasonable drive and in the opposite direction form the olympics. (Serre Che and PSV being reasonably close and Alpe d'Huez being up to a couple of hours drive.

La Grave is also well worth a visit if you like off piste though you will have to pay to ski there and possibly hire a guide. The ski school may organise guided trips I would enquire locally if interested early in your visit.

Hope you have a great time. snowHead
latest report
Hi everyone, I have been to Montgenvre several times, but the furthest I have got on the milky way circuit is just past the Montanina restaurant. Does anyone know if it is possible to get any further on skis?
latest report
trajan wrote:
the furthest I have got on the milky way circuit is just past the Montanina restaurant. Does anyone know if it is possible to get any further on skis?

I dunno where the Montanina restaurant is, but it's certainly possible (assuming lift & runs are open) to ski from Montgenevre to Claviere, from Claviere over to Cesana (the last section officially requiring a download on the chair as there is no piste), from Cesana up though Sansicario (download on the lift on the return), from the top of which you have a choice of skiing into the top of Sauze d'Oulx, or directly into Sestriere.

Last time I did it it seemed to take a long time - even with good fast skiers: it's a lot slower than (for instance) end-to-end in the Three Valleys, although two of the slow chairs up into Sansicario have now been replaced with a gondola.

Note that going from Montgenevre to Claviere, there are two official ways, at the northern and southern extremities, but it is perfectly possible (although a bit of a pole) to go directly along the valley utilising the cross-country track.
snow report
RobW, Thanks for that, we always seem to run out of time just after the Montanina, we will have to head directly towards Cesana next time instead of skiing above Montgenevre.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy