Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So, I really need to do a season...

Poster: A snowHead
Went to Banff in March for 2 weeks (trip report to follow) and feel that it was just not enough. I need more and the only way to do it is being a boardbum for 2 or 3 months. I would work probably on weekends and ride all week but where to go at my age (45)? I'll regret it if I don't do it and work has reluctantly agreed a sabbatical. My choice would be SLC but Salt Lake itself is a bit too quiet. Where else? Canada would be great but Jan is too cold. Europe doesn't interest me but its the most probable location even after brexit as I have dual citizenship. This would be for 19/20 season so I have time to work it out. What do I need to consider? Any input would be great.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-04-17 21:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whistler?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@QRZBuddha, thanks so what about visas etc?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look at every option and then just do it before it's too late 😀
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Be warned. Last year we did our first proper season. Just coming to the end of our second and have now secured a home here. Even a season isn't enough!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What about Norway or north and south islands of New Zealand (and maybe pop to Mt Buller in Victoria Australia)? We were in NZ last year but just couldn't fit skiing in too (gutted). For various reasons, our two attempts at emigration to Oz and NZ have fallen through, we've learnt through bitter experience you have to seize the day and don't live with the regret of not doing something. Good luck and enjoy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Work 3 jobs and save as much money as poss.

Then go do a season, no point working if you don't need to!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nobody NEEDS to do a season. Just be honest and say you would like to do one. Your age is immaterial. I did my first season at 54. Now coming to the end of my 11th. this time in Steamboat Colorado. If you think you can only have the 1 full season due to your employer giving you the requisite time off, then take some time to research lots of options. Not far from SLC is Park City which has a good vibrant nightlife along it's main street. If you want a really raucous night life and a really great ski area, then St Anton could be the answer. Several of the Austrian new 'mega' resorts could fit the bill too. The people there are very friendly and welcoming, and most will speak English.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gainz, Europe's pretty big and varied. Why doesn't it interest you?
What are your main criteria? What's your level/preferred terrain?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are going to North America then you need to think about how you are going to get a work permit as your a little past BUNAC.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It can be a little addictive.

The more you get paid, typically the less you ski.

Possibly consider some sort of well paid part time work in the UK and a partial season with no work while in resort? (Europe much easier for this due logistics).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, realistically a season in Europe only needs to be three months (Jan-Mar) since the months at the extremes typically have less perfect condicions. So full-time for 3 months instead of part-time for 5 is worth considering.

That said, personally I love being able to mix working with ski-time...it make it feel more like a normal life than a special holiday (and then it gets really addictive since you realize that it can be a normal life wink.) But for the first season it's not an especially important factor though.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some food for thought. My main priorities are the ski area particularly off-piste and more importantly backcountry (my new addiction). So I guess a European megaresort would work but I can't be arsed to learn a new language and the town has to be busy so the missus can get a full time job and give us other options. I've lived in the states so know the ropes (a bit) and been to Utah which i loved. I could see myself there but for the visa requirements and work permits. Canada is looking more likely as I can stay up to 6 months and maybe get casual work if I need it (missus can get a work permit for 1 year). How much would this cost? I'm budgeting at £10k for the 3 months including rent for me and if the missus works then £10k for her though part-financed with work.

Oh and @Old Man Of Lech, I do NEED to do this!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

to learn a new language

Not necessary in e.g. Chamonix...or probably Verbier either ... or Morzine/Les Gets...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And what does "the missus" think of the plan? I'd tell you what you could do with your snowboard... wink
ski holidays
If you work in Canada without a Visa and get caught, BEWARE. You will be expelled and banned for a minimum of possibly 3 years from returning. In 2005, my first season was just a long holiday, actually in Canada and when I said at immigration I was staying for 5 months I was sent through to 'secondary' and GRILLED for an hour about my intentions. I spent about £12,000 pounds in that 5 months, though admittedly I didn't skimp on anything.
Just a little aside. Check on the definition of the word, need.
snow report
Nice snow in Utah but for what you're after Verbier or Chamonix would be ideal. You get proper mountains thrown in for free. In Verbier there are signs saying "A Verbier on parle français" precisely because noone does!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy