Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern - where to head?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We'll be staying in Mauterndorf next week and will be driving to Obertauern for a few days of skiing. Never been to Obertauern before but t'internet seems to suggest that the Intersport branch at Römerstraße 8 ticks our boxes of keenly priced rentals and having ski lockers. It's clearly not the hub but it's not completely dead at that end of town is it?

We're a family of 2nd and 3rd week skiers, not going to be huge mileage-devourers and probably after cruisey blues and the occasional red- another thread suggests Zehnerkar gondola to 1a will be a good place to start and that doesn't look too far from where we'll be parked up and renting. The green Tauernrunde could be do-able- how steep are the three short reds?

Starting to have pre-holiday jabbering so I'd better sign off for now, any comments/tips welcomed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hilden Bro, i am just back form there last week, your start point sounds like a good one, you have a really long cruising blue to warm the legs up.... that is most definitely a run for the morning though as it softens up pretty quickly due to aspect.

some of these short reds are steep (ish) (for a 2nd /3rd week skier anyway) but remember the challenge is not to ski every run in the resort (well not on the first day) so i would possibly ignore trying to do the circuit straight off and concentrate on enjoyment

after you have skied that first blue, and you get to the bottom there is a combination chair/bubble lift, you will need to pole a bit to get to it unless you are at mach 2 when you get to the flat at the bottom (i am not even going to name lifts and runs as i tend to just look at something and think i will ski from there to there etc and ignore what anything is called) if you take this combi lift, it gives you a short ski down to where there is a decent coffee house and are two covered chairs, one yellow, one blue... the yellow accesses a couple of nice reds and a black, the blue takes you up and over to one of the nicest blue runs in the resort, it goes down to next to the seekahaus and there are various lift/run options from there the whole thing flows nicely in terms of gettign form one place to another, looking at the piste map it looks confusing at first but a couple of hours on the hill and you will get your bearings

whatever you do in your few days there make sure you have lunch at least once at the lurzer alm which is at the bottom (middle) of the runs into town.... the ribs and wings rock!! and if you want some sport, siting in their apres bar after you have finished skiing and the lifts shut at 4.30 you can listen to some classic euro-pop apres music and partake in the sport of watching pissed up (mostly Dutch and Austrians) skiing down the final run and falling off their skis at the bar then trying to drink another beer, a good couple of hours of entertainment after a good day on the hill.... (there is an apres party on some nights at the edelweiss alm (top of said run) which fuels these pissed up idiots Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM- you're a star. Coming to skiing in middle-age with nagging anxieties about looking after the clan, I have a tendency to go into extreme Boy Scout mode and love getting detailed tips about where to head.

And thanks for the apres-ski recommendations- our kids are 13 and 11 so are at the stage of loving watching adults misbehave from the sidelines.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You will be fine! I have skiied a bit more than you but am a nervous cautious skiier and have managed to skiied most runs (apart the blacks) in Obertauern. Start early as it will get slushy by mid day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some great advice- thank you.

Headed to the places suggested. The directions from CEM were idiot proof but for those liking a name, the combi lift is Grunwaldkopf, the blue coloured lift is Hochalm and the lovely cruisey blue piste is 21a to the Kringsalm lift! Went up Seekarspitz and managed 5a which is a wide and forgiving red. For those who are suckers for detail, coming off 21a, 16c (which looked on paper a perfect linking piste) starts with an uphill slog to start and was vetoed by our pole-less youngest.

One final dull question if I may, ahead of our last day (Wednesday). Haven't taken the Seekareck lift- red 9a to the right off the lift looks tempting but not sure if we'd be up to it (red 9b to the left, definitely looks out of our league). Anyone able to give us a steer on what 9a is like?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy