Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine - Flying In Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Read this here
http://www.morzinesourcemagazine.com/morzine-to-extend-lift-openings-by-helicoptering-snow-from-samoens/

It has been announced today that Morzine will be pulling out all the stops to extend their lift opening date until the 25th April. The Morzine and Les Gets ski resorts usually close in mid-April, around a week or two before higher-altitude neighbouring resort, Avoriaz. But this year, with the news that Avoriaz would be closing a week earlier than usual, the Morzine officials decided to step up and do something to keep the people of Morzine skiing for longer.

‘And how are they going to do that?’ We hear you cry. Morzine resort management confirmed yesterday that they’ve struck a deal with Samoëns, a resort in the Grand Massif just down the road. It was agreed that excess snow will be taken from the Samoëns ski area and transported to Morzine to cover the lower slopes in resort, like those on the Pleney, where coverage is scarce. Snow will be transported by helicopter and local farmers will also be getting involved by bringing large quantities of snow up the valley by truck and tractor. This is going to be a large scale operation so Morzine officials are asking locals to get involved and help out; if it’s successful Morzine will be able to carry on the venture next year. Snow-moving is due to start next weekend, so if you have vehicle capable of transporting large amounts of snow, or you’d like to help with logistics and shovelling

‘This new deal could be very beneficial for Morzine as a ski resort,’ a resort spokesperson told us. ‘Yes, it is time consuming and will take many people to make it work, but if it is successful it will bring Morzine up to speed with Avoriaz and bring more people to the resort in the late season.’

We, for one, are really looking forward to the Pleney’s late-season face-lift, and we will definitely be getting involved as much as possible. It may not have been the best year for snow, but we think it’s great that the good folk who run Morzine are trying to make the most of it. Don’t forget, if you want to get involved you need to register HERE, and we’ll see you next weekend!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is Morzine in a different time zone to the rest of us?? Like by about 70 hours?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@cisco43, I am working with a ski school on a new business model.

Old business model = make money in the winter when there is snow on the ground. Relax when there isn't.

New business model = coaching in skiing when there is snow on the ground; coaching in XC and DH mountain biking when there isn't, whatever the time of year; add some ski touring instruction in between when they can

This avoids the absurdity of artificial snow making and general nonsense about snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
This avoids the absurdity of artificial snow...
What is considered 'absurd' about piling up snow in winter on home runs etc to extend the season; or making it to ensure skiing back to resort in early season Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dateline April 1?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Poisson D'Avril!!

(Check the registration link)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Up there with the Burton hard boot announcement... y'know, for carvers...

Quote:
"As was the case with Step On, the Hard On system is a level up from what the industry had previously offered”, says Richard Johnson, Burton’s Head of Product Development. Modern hard boot systems may meet the approval of the discerning Japanese eye, but we expect advancements of the Hard On to really blow them away.”

“Features include Ground Reflex Action, which offers unparalleled response by ensuring maximum stiffness just when you need it. Even the most jaded shredder will experience a new lease of life via GRA."
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"excess snow will be taken from the Samoëns ski area "

a sneaky dig at the lack of snowmaking around Samoens? as there sure isn't any "excess" snow...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup April Fool's

D'oh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mountainaddict, aware that this thread is somewhat April 1sty I wasn't posting with utmost discipline when I used the word 'absurd'. I guess I prefer the 'low impact' notion of what we do in the mountains and we have discussed on here before - and not entirely with agreement - the various environmental impacts of artificial snow making. On balance, I'd rather we didn't do it when there's a negative environmental impact and did a different set of activities until the stuff falls out of the sky.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2 wrote:
@mountainaddict, aware that this thread is somewhat April 1sty I wasn't posting with utmost discipline when I used the word 'absurd'. I guess I prefer the 'low impact' notion of what we do in the mountains and we have discussed on here before - and not entirely with agreement - the various environmental impacts of artificial snow making. On balance, I'd rather we didn't do it when there's a negative environmental impact and did a different set of activities until the stuff falls out of the sky.

I don't disagree with your logic, but it's hard to see how it would work in practice. If I've booked a week's skiing in the Alps only to turn up and find there is no snow then I'm not going to be remotely impressed by someone suggesting I should go mountain biking instead. I'm just not interested and without doubt the same applies to everyone I know. Mountain biking down the Alps might be great fun, but it's simply not why I'm there. It would be like turning up to a restaurant and the chef saying 'I'm sorry, but the oven's broken so would you like to watch TV instead?' Ignoring the one-week travellers the. I think you still have a problem with the local day skiers. Are sufficient numbers of them really that keen to go mountain biking in December/January when they could have been doing it all year round?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
valais2 wrote:

I don't disagree with your logic, but it's hard to see how it would work in practice. If I've booked a week's skiing in the Alps only to turn up and find there is no snow then I'm not going to be remotely impressed by someone suggesting I should go mountain biking instead. I'm just not interested and without doubt the same applies to everyone I know. Mountain biking down the Alps might be great fun, but it's simply not why I'm there. It would be like turning up to a restaurant and the chef saying 'I'm sorry, but the oven's broken so would you like to watch TV instead?' Ignoring the one-week travellers the. I think you still have a problem with the local day skiers. Are sufficient numbers of them really that keen to go mountain biking in December/January when they could have been doing it all year round?

I do sometimes wonder if much of the Alps is over-reliant on skiing. From your perspective, you should fairly securely be able to book and ski anywhere from Jan-late March without artificial snow. The other months could/should be considered a bonus, but most resorts probably need to make money in Dec and April too to survive. Yet some resorts - like Engelberg - are now actually making more money (profit) out of ski season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As the article says, Engelberg makes a shedload of money from visitors from Asia who have a day or two in town and ride a lift to the Glacier as part of their European tour. Apparently, Bollywood film companies have made a number of feature films on Mount Titlis and this proves a huge draw for Indian tourists. It's quite unusual, even in multi-lingual Switzerland, to see notices on the Titlis Express lift in Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi, Bengali, Chinese etc. You often share a cable car or gondola cabin with tourists who are not quite properly attired for a visit to the very high mountains!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy