Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski width for sping skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Sure - it's a dumb choice if you are really not good enough to tip a skinnier ski. But i'm just challenging the causation chain - those guys suck because they suck and wide skis aren't helping them; not they suck because the wide skis are making them suck.

It's no different from snowblades - the real reason most people look like unco-ordinated gibbons on them is not the blades themselves but because they are used by inexperienced skiers who think they'll be easier to use or more of a laugh.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Sure - it's a dumb choice if you are really not good enough to tip a skinnier ski. But i'm just challenging the causation chain - those guys suck because they suck and wide skis aren't helping them; not they suck because the wide skis are making them suck.

It's no different from snowblades - the real reason most people look like unco-ordinated gibbons on them is not the blades themselves but because they are used by inexperienced skiers who think they'll be easier to use or more of a laugh.
Generally I agree with this, with one small caveat. I would change your phrase "wide skis aren't helping them" to "wide skis are hindering their development of some fundamental skills".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think it's a combination of both? Availability of fatter skiis making things a bit easier for those with less exprience / skill and relying on leg strength to turn as not quite able to get the ski on its edge - harder on a wider ski which I assume has a longer radius by design.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Exactly: they're just bad skiers. And there are enough (actually, more) bad skiers on skinny skis to make it pretty clear that equipment makes little difference to skill development if the will to improve isn't there.

@Ozboy, some have long turn radii, some short. Depends just as much on design as with piste skis.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 7-04-17 9:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
[quote="rob@rar"]
Generally I agree with this, with one small caveat. I would change your phrase "wide skis aren't helping them" to "wide skis are hindering their development of some fundamental skills".

I think you've hit the nail in the snowHead. The key is having the right ski for the skiing level and for the right conditions. I struggle to understand why a wide Ski is suitable for in-resort spring skiing. Maybe i am just old and grumpy! Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have I missed the answer about whether height and/or weight should be amongst the factors determining the choice of ski width?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
Have I missed the answer about whether height and/or weight should be amongst the factors determining the choice of ski width?

Skiing style is a more important factor in my book. The point is it's not really just the width, but the shape and design of a ski. A 50kg skier might get the same 'float' or surface area per kilogram from an 80mm ski as a 100kg skier gets from a 120+mm, but as no one (at least I'm not aware of any brands) makes an 80mm ski in a freeride-y shape (tip and tail rocker and taper) they won't get the same feel and sensation. In fact it's not really about float at all; rather the loose, surfy, playful, 'do whatever you want' feel. At least for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:

Yes definitely - you & I should not be on the same ski for the same application regardless of length adjustment- for starters you ski less campily than me wink
You just don't need the same width for the same "float" or "planing"..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You all have it completely wrong.

203 for slalom, and everything else except,

207 for GS, and everything else if that's what you brought out.

Simples.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Could ssomeone kindly explain the benefits of a tail rocker other than shortening the effective edge behind the bindings?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy wrote:
I struggle to understand why a wide Ski is suitable for in-resort spring skiing.

Because the snow is soft and 3D. If you can penetrate 15 cm into the snow because the top layer has softened to that degree can you see how that is analogous to 15cm of "heavy" snow falling on hardpack.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ozboy wrote:
Could ssomeone kindly explain the benefits of a tail rocker other than shortening the effective edge behind the bindings?

From about 28 secs

http://youtube.com/v/QbdkPH88yZI
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks - made my morning!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, are you really Bode Miller?!

I used to ski 198cm Rossignol 3G's and before that 203 Fischer P7's (?), full blown GS skis back in the late 80's/ early 90's.....what was I thinking? Maybe that's why I was lousy in the moguls?! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, no, he's a lightweight and favours short skis.

I learned in the late 70s and had the luxury (?) of a couple of ex-Olympians in the Uni ski team as ? Mentors. Set a bar...
latest report
kitenski wrote:

good summary IMHO, just waxed up my 76mm skis for next week, although looking at my R.98s I've not used yet!!

No chance of taking both?
snow conditions
Is the Bergfex forecast for loads of snow next week reliable of just trying to drum up some extra holiday business ?
ski holidays
balernoStu wrote:
kitenski wrote:

good summary IMHO, just waxed up my 76mm skis for next week, although looking at my R.98s I've not used yet!!

No chance of taking both?

CBA for 4 days of skiing Smile
snow report
@musher, bergfex is super reliable, it's always right!.......not! In fairness it's ok to about 3 days max, beyond that it's just a rough guide I'd suggest, and generally erring on the side of optimism where snows involves imv.
snow conditions
Having done extensive research on this topic over the weekend, I can give the DEFINITIVE answer to this question....the correct ski for spring snow is a Salomon 3V 67 mm wide race ski. Every other answer is wrong. Glad I could clear this up. (Real answer, first time for me on a race oriented ski, had a total hoot, huge difference in time from edge to edge between them and my normal 90mm nordicas. Also didn't have to worry about 3D skiing when the snow softened as they just destroyed everything in their path, down to the earths core).
latest report
I have a choice of 67mm, 98mm and 120mm width skis. All are great fun in spring snow. But yesterday I took the 98s and they were great fun. In slushy bumps you could make lovely short turns and use the bump sides to bounce off or get small jumps in. Turn them on edge and they blasted through the mounds. Higher up on the hardpack they carved fine, in icy moguls off piste they were still pretty nimble. I think I made the right choice.
snow report
My 76mm Volkl Code L have been great in Ischgl for the past 2 days, lovely off piste spring snow, slushy bumps, slick blacks and everything in between have all been handled fine.

I've seen 2 skis over 100mm and they had the decency to head off the back of the ski area into a tasty looking bowl Wink

Most folk are on piste skis, some 90mm around but not many!!
snow conditions
@coddlesangers, haha, solid work Sir. Carry on.
latest report
I've tried the 110s and decided that doesn't work for me. Tomorrow I have some redster doubledecks to play wirh. I think either way it is a lost cause. Now both kids are better than I am. Embarassed
snow conditions
I've been in heavy slush in 3V the last two days; yesterday on Head Titans (70ish?), today on Whitedot Directors (110ish?). Directors are easier but that is more because of the massive tip rocker and softness I reckon. The titans are fine but I have to behave myself on them. I can be lazy on the directors.

I'm seeing most other people on piste skis, but then again I'm seeing most people struggling in the afternoon.
snow report
@Maireadoconnor, Thanks for the update. I'm going to stick with my choice (also Directors Toofy Grin ) for the EoSB. Sod behaving, bring on the fun!
snow conditions
@Scarlet, glad to be of service. It's a hard job giving you all advance reports from 3V but someone's got to do it Toofy Grin
latest report
Been on 80 underfoot cheat race skis all week in cham. Perfect blend of width and stiffness for well timed, smooth, spring conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maireadoconnor wrote:
I've been in heavy slush in 3V the last two days; yesterday on Head Titans (70ish?), today on Whitedot Directors (110ish?). Directors are easier but that is more because of the massive tip rocker and softness I reckon. The titans are fine but I have to behave myself on them. I can be lazy on the directors.

I'm seeing most other people on piste skis, but then again I'm seeing most people struggling in the afternoon.

Which ones are best for roostering @MatWall? I mean we need to take into account all the variables wink
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, I just searched for 'roostering' on urban dictionary and am now deeply disturbed.
ski holidays
Rossignol Temptations 88mm. Good for ice and slush for me Very Happy
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I just searched for 'roostering' on urban dictionary and am now deeply disturbed.

Yeah was going to suggest you went with the ski meaning rather than what google "throws up". Although far be it from me to dictate your lifestyle choices and entertainment options.
snow report
Maireadoconnor wrote:

Yeah was going to suggest you went with the ski meaning rather than what google "throws up". Although far be it from me to dictate your lifestyle choices and entertainment options.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy DEAD!!!
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Laughing

Mat's on his preachers so we're taking turns.

This isn't making it sound any better is it.

Hmm.
latest report
So I've got 89mm and 110s, I'm booked on 3 days of off piste guiding and would try to find something interesting for the rest of the week. But, looking at the conditions I think I'm going to take the 89mm, better all rounders and I'd cry if the 110s got trashed on rocks, whereas the 89mms are my general everyday toolbox ski.

So that's my take on it!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy