Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads' HELP appreciated!! Are my skis still usable?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Devastated to see the skis I love most in a condition I have never seen before, after keeping them in a storage tube for a year. Are my skis still usable? Shocked

The skin leaving their bodies, with silvery powder falling off in between. Any advice on how I could restore their condition, they have been used for 2 ski trips only!
if they are still usable after some maintenance work, how much would it cost, a rough estimation would be helpful! Thanks.

https://instagram.com/p/BSXgHpKAnr5/
[/i][/b][/url]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@April1689, My initial reaction would be no, unless the delamination only extends a couple of mm into the ski.

The rusty edges could be cleaned and sharpened, but if the metal layer within the structure of the ski has started to oxidise causing the ski to delaminate, it cannot be stopped. I assume they were put away wet/damp in a closed sport tube, so the perfect warm damp environment for corrosion to form.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@April1689, ...this is identical to an issue which occurred to another pair of skis kept in a ski tube and was discussed extensively on her - it is a fatal condition I am afraid - the aluminium (titanal) layer has started to corrode and as Addict says, this will continue. It is structural - i.e. it will affect the performance of the ski and will cause the ski to fail further. This is such a shame, since the SLs RTs are exceptional skis. Storage conditions are really important, and if the skis came back on a roof rack and had salt spray on them, this can accelerate the corrosion. As PA says, you can poke around with a screwdriver and see how far the corrosion extends, if it is only a couple of mm then you can try using the skis and monitor whether the delamination gets worse as you ski. I have a pair of Salamon rock skis which have around 10 cm2 of delimitation on each tail, and I just carry on skiing them, keeping an eye on whether it's getting to a state which is problematic. It's got worse season on season, but they are still skiable. Perhaps take the skis to your local tech and get a diagnosis.

But it's not a good thing I am afraid.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PowderAdict, @valais2, thanks for sharing the view. The skis have indeed been kept in plastic hard case ski tube, which I thought was the best way to keep them off season. Apparently, its a huge mistake...... Could you share how you keep yours throughout the year?

For the SLs RTs skis above, it seems the delimitation is few mm into the ski. Not sure if any of you/ Snowheads might have experience in using heated epoxy & C-clamps to rescue skis? Wonder if would work, as I really love them very much, and had expected it to last a few years further. Thanks for helping out!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@April1689, this is the thread valais2 mentioned

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2971532&highlight=titanal#2971532
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@April1689, by all means try scraping out the oxide and putting in flexible epoxy and clamping - Spyderjon has the flexible stuff. Re storing, it's pretty mundane in our place here and in the Alps - all skis dried off in the boiler room before storage and then thinking about where they are...None of them wrapped in any way....

...oldish skis covered in storage wax and racked against the walls in the garage, which is pretty dry most of the time but occasionally has some water on the walls since it has a bit of Alp above it, but it dries out quickly since its well ventilated and gets sun on the door. They get a bit of surface rust on the edges in places but it quickly polishes off.

...newish skis in the wardrobe in my daughter's bedroom (lots of moaning about that)...in the attic eaves (dry and well-ventilated)...under the beds in our room..under the bed in the big room in the roof...and a few pairs in the boiler room.

I think the key thing is air flow - zero in a plastic box, lots in our garage even though relative humidity can be high at times.

Hope you save them, they are wonderful skis.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can someon advise the best wat to store skis, I've just slipped them into a nylon bag and left them standing on there tails in the cave. (Cave is dry)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some years I have them waxed with a thick coat and unscraped.

Most years they get forgotten about in the garage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I store mine in the tube but the main thing is that I dry them outside the tube at home for 10 days or so (and fully dry out the tube as well) before putting them back. Have been like that (most times without any wax) in a loft or cupboard for the last 7 years or so and the following year, only have some very superficial rust on the edges which is removed with a service.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have seen road salt cause this problem - unprotected skis on roof racks need to be washed really carefully to ensure all of the salt is removed from the skis and bindings, then dried before storage. I guess the delaminated skies could be patched up with flexible resin but water will probably continue to ingress and the skis will continue to deteriorate.
the best solution would be to ski as much as possible in a short period of time - oh and hit a few rocks so you don't feel bad about replacing them.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy