Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me about Kaprun

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of you will remember that junior DBASKLS (age 13) broke his collar bone in February skiing in Italy. This was doubly disappointing as he was due to go skiing with school next week. He has been told by numerous doctors not to ski.

All along school have said he can still come on the trip as it's not all about the skiing and he can still watch and be official trip photographer. They were supposed to be going to Saalbach.

Today school have emailed to say that due to the high temperatures they have made the decision to ski in Kaprun instead. However, the issue is that it will be very difficult (apparently) for junior DBASKLS to reach the beginners slopes without skis. The school have asked if maybe he could go on skis just to get to the slope Shocked rolling eyes otherwise they may have to abandon him in a mountain cafe. He can't stay in the hotel as that will still be in Saalbach.

I have never been to Kaprun so I have no idea how accessible the beginners' slopes are for non-skiers. Does anyone know? Is it just button lifts? T bars? Would it be possible to get so far and then walk the remainder?

They are due to depart Friday lunchtime so this is very last minute. Any info you can arm me with before I go in to speak to school tomorrow would be gratefully received.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 5-04-17 21:28; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just outside the alpincentre is totally flat, if they go to the top the shuttle puts you out on an easy blue. I guess if he broke his collarbone skiing then he's not a total beginner. My granddaughter learned to ski there 10 years ago without any issues.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i would think that all the skiing this time of year in kaprun would be on the kitzteinhorn glacier, and thats accessed by gondolas and cable cars and he should get some wonderful photos from up there. incidentally, kaprun was my first skiing holiday back in 1986, and it was one of the best holidays i have ever had, learning to ski was so much fun, we had a lady austrian teacher whose name was spelt the same as four letter swear word beginning with c, it was not pronounced that way it was more like coonty, but as a couple of teenage lads on holiday it made us laugh, i also entered a mr universe competition with 6 other people, and i came last, but still remains one of the best nights of my life, so kaprun has very good memories for me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easter weekend would be very busy. The funicular up to the glacier attracts BIG queues, expect to wait!!!!
Some pleasant but unchallenging skiing, however wonderfully enjoyable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would check his insurance very carefully. In the unlikely event that something happened out there, having been told by doctors not to ski, would he be insured on the slopes?

I know the chances are minimal, but after recent posts about being wiped out by someone hurtling down from above...

I would check the details just to be on the safe side. I do hope it all works out for him though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@dbaskls, on the Kitzsteinhorn in Kaprun it is actually quite easy for Jnr to reach the skiing areas without skis. Multi-stage gondola connect the car park level right the way up to the top of the mountain. No ski's would be required to get any of the cafe's (except the icebar) on the mountain - as they are all centred around gondola connected areas; Langwied (1976m), Alpincenter (2450m) and Gipfelwelt (3029m).

http://www.bergfex.com/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/ The Gletscherjet 3 and 4 are the lifts which take you directly to the beginner areas. The Gipfelbahn is also an option and he can walk around on the plateau from there and of course get photos on the viewing platform.

The Maiskogel (village mountain) is closed at this time of year.

Although its a week or so away the forecast is expecting some fresh snow between now and the bank holiday weekend.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I really don't understand the requirement for skis as i would have said the beginner slopes were an absolute doddle to get to; They start and finish at either station of the gletscherjet 3....I think.... but he will need a lift pass. You can get from the base car park to the very top of the glacier by gondola or cable car.

I have been to Kaprun when all around was bare, and getting up to the glacier was an absolute scrum. Once up there it is fine, but first thing it can be mental at the base station.

If the weather is sunny then a hat and sunscreen will be a must up there, however if the weather closes in then full ski gear would be a must! The views are stunning and the facilities up there are very good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dbaskls, Strange one, the others are right about access, its a good as anywhere but I'm puzzled about what the schools plans are for him to go onto pistes without skis. There will be plenty opportunities for him to hang around nearby either at the bottom of the funicular at the Gipfelstation or at the Alpincenter but do you really want him wandering all over the place on foot?? I really would check the insurance. If it was me and I could get out at minimal cost I'd save the money for another time. Its gonna be busy up there at Easter and from leaving the hotel in Saalbach to clipping in could easily be the guts of two hours on the busiest days.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you all for your replies. We've decided to pull him from the trip. It just wasn't worth the risk. Gutted for him Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dbaskls, I played rugby 6 weeks after a broken collarbone. What is different about this particular break? It's usually quite a simple healing process especially in youngsters.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@AthersT, I don't know the technical terms but it was broken such that one broken end was sat on top of the other. Every doctor we saw, 4 in total, advised against skiing so soon after (it was just under 7 weeks ago). He's 13 there'll be other trips, I just couldn't risk it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@AthersT, no 2 breaks are the same. As a very fit 16 yr old, my younger son took 5 months to start contact again.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dbaskls wrote:
Thank you all for your replies. We've decided to pull him from the trip. It just wasn't worth the risk. Gutted for him Crying or Very sad

What a shame!

Assuming the insurance will reimburse you for this trip, it sounds like the perfect excuse for a parent - junior trip to a glacier in the summer/early season to make up for missed snow time!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy