Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best blues and greens

Poster: A snowHead
I've noted that many of the runs mentioned in the best pistes thread are reds/blacks. So for those of us who prefer a more sedate journey down the mountain, what would people recommend as the best of the blue/green pistes out there?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Genepy in Val D'isere is my favourite green.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hidden Valley (if you ignore the walk at the end) mentioned in that other thread is blue.

Also off the Sella Ronda... that run down from Santa Croce church in the sun after lunch.

And another one off the Sella Ronda... that blue run on the way out to Marmolada from Arabba first thing in the morning... ace warm up.

Wengen... the run down towards Grindelwald... but that's mainly for the famous apple fritters at Brandegg
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nabus wrote:
Genepy in Val D'isere is my favourite green.

+1, a real blast from end to end. On our last trip we christened the top 50 metres "The Green Mile" because it looked like death row with all the bodies strewn all over it Toofy Grin (for those unfamiliar with the area, the top section off the top of the Borsat lift is a fairly steep, mogulled pitch which is marked as green on the piste map and is more like a tricky blue)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rcav, the best blue is an empty red/black in any resort with snow Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also in Tignes the blue run off the Grande Motte - coincidentally also called Genepy - is great fun, a real rollercoaster ride snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Blue down to Ellmau in the SkiWelt is a run I love.

And Blue 3 down to the top of the Brixen gondola, though that can get a bit crowded.

I also enjoyed the blue down the front face of the Stubnerkogel in Bad Gastein this year. And run H4 in Bad Hofgastein is a nice run marked as red, but I've been on harder blues.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy,
Hidden Valley (if you ignore the walk at the end) mentioned in that other thread is blue.
- that is red
Also off the Sella Ronda... that run down from Santa Croce church in the sun after lunch.
- only the first bit is blue, its a (easy) red to get to the bottom
And another one off the Sella Ronda... that blue run on the way out to Marmolada from Arabba first thing in the morning... ace warm up.
- you need to get there and back by red as is Marmolada!

You seem to have mentioned everything red in the area surrounding the Pralongia/AltaBadia plateaux above San Cassiano / La VIlla / Corvara which is very blue!
http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/Italy/Alta-Badia-Piste-Map.pdf

Just saying! Piste maps change too
Very Happy

Best blue/greens IMO - Montgenevre (several from top to bottom, my favourite from Prarial) and Les Arcs (vallandry - Foret)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The "a" green run in Megeve is great fun, as is its off-shoot "rosiere".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex_heney wrote:

I also enjoyed the blue down the front face of the Stubnerkogel in Bad Gastein this year. And run H4 in Bad Hofgastein is a nice run marked as red, but I've been on harder blues.

Same with B11 in Bad Gastein - fantastic blue run marked as a red
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vildmarkstigen, Åre, Sweden.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ignore the colour on the piste map. Those "reds" might just about have one turn or something that's more than a blue.

One more to add, since @mooney058 mentioned it... the Black run in the Edelweiss Valley in Colfosco, leading in to the blue (may well be shown as red, but it's not). A black that is so easy, so uniform, that doesn't even look red, is mostly deserted (hence 0 moguls), is wide, and on a nice day with grippy snow, we even stopped to measure the gradient with an inclinometer because we didn't believe it was black. One of those blacks you can take a relative beginner on (with a bail out green option, that might be marked blue). I was learning how to ski 1-legged on the "wrong" leg there, it's that easy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
L'Armera blue off the top of Crey du Quart in Valmeinier. Underrated resort for developing intermediates and the whole family adore this run
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les 2 alpes you can ski a nice set of blues all the way from the top of the glacier down to the mid mountain area. As its high snow normally in great condition.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also in Les 2 Alpes, Signal 1 (runs from 3200 to the bottom of the Signal lift (which can have quite a queue). A wide open motorway with excellent snow when I was on it a fortnight or so ago.
snow report
@andy, the Hidden Valley felt genuinely red when I did it last month - the conditions were pretty horrible.
snow report
The blue at the top left of the ste foy piste map is fabulous
snow report
+1 for Blue 80 from Hartkaiser to Ellmau

We also really like the blue (26) down to Kirchberg in the Kitzbuhel ski area. Varied terrain and it has a couple of short black options, which cut some corners if you are feeling brave. The main downside is the glacial Fleckalmbahn gondola which returns you to the top of the mountain, though I think someone said on here it is due to be replaced soon!
ski holidays
I love Folyeres, the blue home run to La Tania – it's my favourite kind of tree-lined piste with some steeper sections but no narrow bits.

Went on a lovely gentle run with great views in Serre Chevalier this year, which was either blue or green – I have some gorgeous photos taken from it on a sunny day when it was almost empty, but sadly I can't remember which run it was – having looked at the piste map, I'm wondering if it was the blue Myrtilles down from Le Prorel...

I remember enjoying Genepy in Val D'Isere too, but also being rather shocked at first at the steepness of the very top (was a beginner at the time) Smile
latest report
How can a green run be "best" my experience isnthat they are usually flattish roads, requiring skating.

Not buying it.
snow report
@under a new name, that is very true but, as others have said, Genepy in Val d'Isere (Bellevarde sector) is a cracking run. It holds its snow very well and has nice banks on the side in its top half. The gradient is just about perfect too, I love boarding down it with my 2 little boys (they ski).
snow report
under a new name wrote:
How can a green run be "best" my experience isnthat they are usually flattish roads, requiring skating.

Not buying it.

Most are, but not all, and for tentative skiers can be what's needed. Jardin Alpin through Courchevel is quite pleasant.
snow conditions
I'd say stringing together PicNoir, Blanchot and Lapin from the top of Col de Loze down to Meribel Village is pretty hard to beat.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
How can a green run be "best" my experience isnthat they are usually flattish roads, requiring skating......

Have you tried Verte at La Daille? (not that I could ever say it was a favourite piste of any colour).
ski holidays
Not sure I should be drawing attention to this one - but the blue 'col' at Le Tour ski area in the Chamonix valley. It's a tricky turn to first get on to it, so it's usually really quiet. Very wide, so great for beginners, but if it's empty it's a glorious run to carve for better, speedier skiers - some rollers, beautiful wide sweeps and turns.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
I'd say stringing together PicNoir, Blanchot and Lapin from the top of Col de Loze down to Meribel Village is pretty hard to beat.

Yep, bit busy in places but the golf course down to the bottom is a great run
ski holidays
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
adithorp wrote:

Yep, bit busy in places but the golf course down to the bottom is a great run

Yes, I forgot about that one. Loved it this time last year at 9AM with 15CMs of fresh on it (while everyone was still enjoying their croissants).

Also Biollay down to St Martin - combine that with the jem that is Jerusalem (red) and you have one lovely descent.
latest report
Folyeres the home run to La Tania, fantastic way to end the day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My favourites are both in Les Arcs: Mont Blanc and Barmont.
ski holidays
gazzaredcruiser wrote:

One of my favourites too. Love that run. If staying elsewhere in the 3Vs it's also a great run to do on route to a lovely savoury crepe and a pichet de rose for lunch.
snow report
As someone who still prefers blues to reds after a few weeks' skiing, I have some favourite blues (in the order I skied them):

- Tetras (Morzine)
- Combe a Floret (Avoriaz)
- Couloir (Alpe d'Huez)
- Vachettes (Alpe d'Huez)
- Creux (Courchevel)
- Biollay (Courchevel)
- Blue 11, Blue 57 (Saalbach)
- Les Esserts (Le Tour, Chamonix)
- Tetras (Les Houches)
- Renard (Les Arcs)
- Mont Blanc (La Plagne)

Favourite green is still the first piste I ever skied, Blanchots in Meribel
latest report
@tripowski, yeah Mont Blanc is nice, bit sketchy in places. Also the Pierres Blanches that runs down the same face is quite nice.
snow conditions
gazzaredcruiser wrote:

Same run but I also like to ski it first thing when no one else is on it.

...though the gradient in sections does lean towards red, particularly the drop soon before arriving at the chalets.
latest report
I recently really enjoyed all the blues through the forest above Arc1800 - beautiful with the sun going down behind the trees. A little flat in places and occasionally slushy, but just plain old pretty! Little bumps off to the side which the children enjoyed too.

Similar levels of prettiness in the blues (Gollet, mainly) above Arc1600 too, only completely deserted. It was a bit slushy (mid March) but the absence of other people made it more than worthwhile.

Definitely agree about the bodies strewn around Genepy in ValD! My goodness, the start of that run, especially once it's later in the day and mogulled up.. that is not a green!!
ski holidays
The one with the most memories: Tetras - La Rosiere

Blue 11 - San Cassiano
Pluviometre - Val Thorens (top2/3 only)
Folyeres - La Tania
Grand Lac - Les Menuires
Chamole - Pila (I know it's a red, but god knows how)
Grattalu - Tignes
Blue 5/4 - Radstadt/Altenmarkt
The blue down from Kleinarl to Flachauwinkle
latest report
I know it's not really playing the game, but I'd nominate Jerusalem as the best 'blue'. I can't think of a single bit that is hard enough to make it genuine red and the fact that it is so wide and empty means that IMO it should really be classed as a blue.

Is there a tricky section I've forgotten?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Chamole - Pila (I know it's a red, but god knows how)

Yes that's another I'd like to go back for.

Also the main run at Hinterreit was great in January. Wide, well pisted and with little tourist traffic the snow quality remained very good. Watching US ski team and Austrian athletes training on the adjacent race piste was a bonus.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone, great to see there are so many great easier runs out there for people to enjoy.

For myself, the green top-bottom (sagnes - le lac etc) in Montgenevre is lovely, but I also like le vallon, the blue down through the valley behind the hill in front the town and I had a strange love of the durance drag lift at the far end of town, it was always quiet and had bits of extra interest like the bit under the appartment building.

In alta badia, I liked the blue off the Bioch best I think, it also had a border cross variant when I was there. But there were also some lovely runs round Pralongia.

In Yllas, there was a blue off a lift called jokeri pokeri that sticks out in my memory, it wasn't very long or particularly interesting in many ways, but somehow it was just the right pitch for me at the time and I just kept going back to it.

Clot in Val Cenis was lovely green too when not overpacked with ski schools (midday just as they finished, but before it got too slushy was the ideal time). Also had a nice boarder cross alternative at the side. And Mont Cenis was a nice blue at the top of that resort.
snow report
My favourites in Châtel:

Bellevue - easy, empty blue with great views down to Aigle in the valley
Belette - a green, a road in the summer, with hairpins
Les Blattins - a medium blue with some fast bits and some steep bits.
ski holidays
@achilles, +1 for Signal blue. How about the green Desmoiselles home run back to LDA? Worst green ever?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy