Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge angles after service

Poster: A snowHead
Dear Gurus!

So I've got all my servicing stuff out today and thought I'd start by looking at the edges.
I got my Salomon BBR (cue marmite argument...I love them!) skis serviced at Revelstoke back in Feb and thought that they were ok but a couple of days later we went to Lake Louise and had no end of trouble, I actually felt like a complete beginner (after over 20 weeks on skis) on the hard pack there.

So, I've bought an edge tuner with files and stuff, read the pisteoffice guide and ran a black marker down my edge. I set the guide to what I thought would be correct (2.5° or 87.5°) and the file only touched the upper edge (furthest away from the base) by a fraction of a mm. Checked Thepisteoffice again and then set it to what is recommended there...2°(88°) and no better. Thought about it, set it to 0° (90°) and it took a tiny amount more off, but still left a lot of black marker by the base, much more than it's removing.

So, my questions are these, could the ski tech at Rev set the machine to the wrong figure...(-2.5 instead of +2.5 if you know what I mean) and could I get it back to the correct using the file supplied with my shiny new Toko pro edge filing jobbie? I don't want to make matters worse obviously.
I suppose I should mention that despite having skied on them for a few weeks, these skis have never been edged before. And my ski buddy, also on BBRs had the same experience and the same service.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gixxerniknik, What do you mean by "upper edge" ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjs,
by "touched the upper edge" I mean that the file is only scrapping away the black marker pen from the top part of the edge closest to the bindings (top of the ski) and furthest away from the base, if that makes any sense!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gixxerniknik, Ok, I didn't read it carefully enough. What angles did you ask the shop to use when they were serviced ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming your guide is ok and if it's new it should be and your technique is ok then it sounds like they have been "tuned" to zero or may be less! Assuming you want to diy it then you need to first decide what side angle you want, I suggest you use either the manufacturer angle which is on jons website or 88. Its probably 1 base and 2 side. Then just some elbow grease required. Keep checking with the marker to check when it's done. For a mainly off piste ski zero is not a big problem.
The base edge is a little more tricky as while you can sharpen it to the existing angle which you can check with the marker pen as before you can only keep the same angle or increase it. Assuming your not racing the bbr's then 1 max is right.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rjs, I just asked them to do an edge and wax to standard factory settings.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perhaps the file guide your using is running on the sidewall and you need a sidewall trimmer .
If so you could or would hear this non metal sound and see the sidewall material in the file or stone ?

I used the stainless end of my scraper because I don't have a sidewall trimmer ,takes longer and bit of skill but does the work if its sharp .

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 31-03-17 16:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The above should read..... the file in the guide "May Be" running on the protruding sidewall where it meets the edge ..

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 31-03-17 18:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another point is if your not tuned up on hand tool use the file teeth go or only cut one way .
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

teeth go or only cut one way

I want to scream that at every race met I go to
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I needed to trim the sidewalls (another tool for you to buy Toofy Grin ) on my Scott Crusairs before the hand edge tuner would get anywhere near the edge. I suspect @Tirol 164 may be right.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gixxerniknik wrote:
@rjs,
by "touched the upper edge" I mean that the file is only scrapping away the black marker pen from the top part of the edge closest to the bindings (top of the ski) and furthest away from the base, if that makes any sense!

Simple one this.

The shop has reduced the side edge to less than the factory 88 degree setting, probably down to 89. This is very common. It's highly unlikely that you base edge angle will have been changed.

The fact that the "file is only scrapping away the black marker pen from the top part of the edge closest to the bindings" shows that, at least at the moment, that the sidewall isn't yet interfering with the file - if it was then you wouldn't be able to remove the pen from the top of the side edge.

You just need to continue filing until you've reset the angle back to the steeper 88 degree (or do the job properly & go straight to 87 Toofy Grin). File until all your pen has been removed & you've raised a very slight hanging burr over the base edge. Then diamond file/polish the side edge, remove the hanging burr & you're good to go.

If you decide to go for an 87 edge you will need a sidewall trimmer to accomplish that however the sidewalls on BBR's are very flush with the edge to start will so you're going to need one very soon anyway even if you stay with the 88.

Sidewall trimmer here: http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/edge-tools/sidewall-removers.html wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all your replies people, you've been most helpful.

@spyderjon, I tried setting the edge tool to 89, then 90 but it still removed only a small amount of the pen, albeit more than when set to 88. I wasn't sure, and didn't want to risk ruining my (beloved) BBRs, but now I'll file away to reset back to standard. Thank-you.

So a sidewall stripper removes part of the side of the ski to enable one to cut more of the edge metal back?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gixxerniknik wrote:

So a sidewall stripper removes part of the side of the ski to enable one to cut more of the edge metal back?

Yes, it trims the plastic away from just above the top of the edge. Quite fun to use
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Related question - do ski shops always edge at 89/1 or can you get 87/3 done in resort?

Ive often thought about dumping a couple of pairs of skis in St Anton with mates but then thought how would I get serviced.....maybe I need to ask locally but not there currently and this flagged up in my grey matter as I read the above@spyderjon, inflict your wisdom on me buddy!
snow report
@Markymark29, I watched the guys in the Scheiber shop in Obergurgl set up the Montana machine at 87/3 when they did my Atomic skis.
latest report
@jtr, cheers
latest report
@Markymark29, buy your own service kit Cool
snow report
I took my Whitedots into a Sheffield ski shop for a service and asked for 89/1 angles (as per makers spec). Dismissive response was "can you actually tell the difference in edge angles when you're skiing?". I've not been back. Tempted to buy my own service kit for next season.
snow report
@Mosha Marc, Got it already mate, always do them myself - not going to drag it to the Alps though if flying, take enough stuff as it is without a bag full of files and assorted gizmos on the plane. Car OK, I take it when we drive.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 1-04-17 17:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@On the rocks, I wouldn't have mine done in UK, apart from Coster-man, enjoy doing my own but for a midweek sharpen when its icy i'm tempted to just bang them in a shop in resort.
latest report
Just leave a small selection of stuff in resort? Edge guide and a diamond file might even be enough. Not going to take up a lot of room.
snow report
What's the approximate cost and weight of kit to do your own edges and waxing?
snow report
Prices, look at Jon's kits: http://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/tuning-equipment-kits.html
Weight, I assume you're just talking about the kit that you'd take with you on holiday, for a sharpen up mid week if it's icy. I just take guides, 2 x diamond files, spring clamp, alu oxy stone & gummi stone (plus a ptex candle and scraper, just in case) - it's about 350g (and probably overkill)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy