Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

two centre trip Europe...without car (or maybe with)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok so here is the deal.

myself and my good lady have the last week in Janruary and the first in February off in 2018....the plan was to go to Japan but due to a wedding in Bali in May 2018 it seemed like a daft idea to go that way twice in 4 months so we are thinking of a twin stop two week trip to europe.

now we normally fly out of Edinburgh into Munich jump on a train and head to the Zillertal valley but I've missed the Easyjet flights and they are now sold out! so what I'm trying to sort is:

2 week trip
1 week will be in the zillertal and 1 elsewhere
for ease of travel it makes sense to stay in Austria but we would like to try somwhere else, maybe Italy but must have transport links to get us to our next destination.

if we head to Italy how easy is it to get to Austria and where would we go had had the good transport links?
I quite fancy Saalbach, but whats the transport links like?
Anywhere in Switzerland that i could easily transfer to Austria by train?

Basically just looking for ideas?

there is the possibility I could drive as i did that this year but again thats not my preference
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What sort of skiing level are you?
Eurowings have some flights out from Edinbourgh to Munich on Sunday the 28th of January for £55. Its harder to find any flights back, in the UK would you prefer to get the train to the airport (and hence come back to another UK airport), or are there any other airports you would be willing to look at in the UK.
One facter with trains is how willing are you to change, this may also be affected by wether or not you have your own skis and if you will be traveling with them on the train. There didn't seem to be any great links from Zilaterial, St Anton could be done in around 3 hours (change in Jenbach & Innsbruck). We also had a great time in Davos which is around 3 and a half hour drive, there didnt seem to be a public transport option. From St Anton the nearest airports are are Zurich, Innsbruck and Basel, all of which can be easily reached but didnt have any good flights to Edinbough, you could get back to Munich airport by changing in Wörgl & Munich, the retun Eurowings flights were £85. Regarding Saalbach->Ziller, there is no station at Saalbach, the hourly 680 bus runs from the nearest station at Zell am See (which has its own slopes you could look at, im sure iv seen that there are suppost to be linking the Saalbach but I don't know if this will be done next season). The train takes around 3 hours (change at Jenbach & Worgl), with the bus taking another 20/30 minuets into Saalbach (timetable: https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/skibus-nightliner)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we are both advanced skiers...not expert by any means but we are beginning to explore the backcountry with a bit of touring and off piste. on piste we can handle pretty much anything from bumps to ...being Scottish... boiler plate ice.

We've done Zillertal by train loads from Munich and its actually really easy there is a train which goes from Munich to Verona and stops at Jenbach so its just one change there to hop on the valley train.

Jet2 do flights to Verona and we could get the train north maybe trying to get to Val di Fassa or similar or even Val Gardena via a local taxi / bus transfer. then after 1 week continue north on the same train line and to reach Zillertal. But I don't know how long or easy the Italian transfer would be.

We have only ever skied in Austria or USA so interested to see how other countries do it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you could forego the week in the Zillertal then...

Leogang (with train station) for access to ski Saalbach. Unless apres is important then train to Saalfelden/Zell am See and bus(es) to Saalbach (doesn't take long).

Then for the second part back on the train and go to Schladming or Kitzbuhel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@enduroaid, Why not fly to Salzburg? Much more convenient for resorts in this neck of the woods than Munich. We've had quite a few Scottish guests this season, and they have all flown to Salzburg (from Edinburgh I think) and been very happy with their flights. To research travel by public transport go to www.oebb.at (very user-friendly).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Why not drive ..overnight from Newcastle and one other overnighter an youre there ...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an (over) generalisation, using public transport to get to resorts in Switzerland is easy, with joined-up rail and bus links. Austria is not far behind, whereas Italy and France are a lot more variable.

St Anton is an obvious Austrian option as it's got a mainline station. From there you can get to e.g. Davos (via Landquart), Flims, Arosa, Andermatt (all via Chur) with little difficulty.

Another, fully Swiss option could be to fly to Zurich and go to e.g. Engelberg and Andermatt

In the past I've gone from Davos to the Sella Ronda with a stop-off in St Anton using a hire car, with a pickup from Zurich (I think), and drop-off in Cortina. I had to pay extra for dropping off in a different country, but it made sense for cost and timing with 5 people, even including pickup and dropoff time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What @viv said.

It's just over 4 hours from Zell am Ziller to Sargans in Switzerland with one change. From there it's a short hop to Davos/Klosters, Flims/Laax, Arosa/Lenzerheide or further on to St Moritz. You might enjoy heading to some of the smaller resorts for a day or two each as hopping between them by public transport is easy. Pizol, Grüsch, Obersaxen, Brigels and Malbun in Liechtenstein would all be straightforward.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
we did the overnight from Newcastle with the car this year and it was good, its just a pain as it adds time and expense to the whole trip. I drove from Amsterdam to Mayrhofen i 1 go this year...took 10 hours with traffic and stops.

I think i'm edging towards the italy side of things so fly to venice or verona and then get the euro city train up....either going to val di fassa or val gardena for a week, seems a easy transfer from the train station at the bottom of the valley. then jump on the same train route and head up past innsbruck to jenbach to get up to zillertal...then jenbach back to munich for a return flight.

only issue is I know naff all about the italian side of the alps so dont know where to go in those regions
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val gardena (on Sella Ronda) is certainly a convenient one on the Italian side, coming from Innsbruck.
Less than 2hr drive. Or train/bus. Or longer distance train (there's a Munich-Jenbach-Innsbruck-Italy train).
Val di Fassa is the same but a bit further.
Arabba would do by car only.

Also, Kronplatz, which you can do by train/train to Brunico/Bruneck then probably a short taxi ride (or get picked up by hotel shuttle).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@enduroaid, St Anton and Verbier (Sion station and bus), or Chamonix if the surfs up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a great Christmas/New Year holiday combining Serfaus with Zell am Ziller. Needed to get a taxi down from Serfaus to Landeck then it was a very pleasant train journey from there to Zell.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flights into Verona from Scotland are proving to be a problem so now back to the saalbach idea.

fly to edi to salzburg, use a transfer firm to get to saalbach then use the train from Maishofen to Jenbach the up the valley on the zillertalbhan, returning out of munich or salzburg.

ideally would have liked to get a different country to ski in but first world problems and all that haha
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy