Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat(ish)touring ski for canadian pow

Poster: A snowHead
looking to add a more powder orientated touring ski to my quiver , specificly for a trip to the selkirks in bc this spring , atm i have a pair of faction standard nine5 for everyday piste skiing and a pair of dynastar mythic 97 for touring and off piste skiing , but think they may me a bit overwhemed by the current snow pack in bc this spring , I'm thinking in the 106-115 range of width and around 170 long , don't want to go much longer as these skis are to used for touring 90% of time and i find a longer (180 ) ski harder to ascend with on kick turns etc , current list included
extrem opinion pure2 108
dps tour 112
whitdot R.108 carbonlite
G3 synapse 109

any thoughts and suggestions or actual user reviews would be most welcome snowHead
p.s. @spyderjon any deals on white dot wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl BMT 109, ignore the "Marker only" binding advice, had mine for 3 seasons with a Beast 14 - lengths 0f 176 and 166 may cause you an issue though. Mind you the Kingpin would work well

This should getvyou stoked whatever skis you go for !

http://youtube.com/v/KDpbVOyxKEI
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mishmash, soo nice , looks just like my destination
http://youtube.com/v/PWVIQ1udK98&t=2s
will have a look at the volki cheers
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dabber, there's always deals available matey. Give me a call tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dabber, The DPS Wailer 112 Tour is a lot more about the up than the down, so if you have tried the standard Wailer in Pure or Hybrid and liked them, you should test the Tour to make sure you still like the downhill performance.

That said the 4-5 people I've spoken to who have them a very happy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a question - but does going from a 97mm to 108mm really make that much difference?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Themasterpiece wrote:
Just a question - but does going from a 97mm to 108mm really make that much difference?

Yes, but not always. I often find the shape (taper, sidecut, rocker - particularly in the tail, camber) of a ski makes more difference than the width, and most skis in the 90-100mm category are shaped just like oversized piste skis (though I was actually quite impressed with the Salomon QST99 I tried for an afternoon last week) so you don't get any of the loose surfy feel.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dabber,
I've got R108CL in 186 with Beast 14s.
I like them a lot but bought them as my all round soft snow ski rather than a pure touring ski (would then likely have gone R98, one size down with Rad 2s I think).
That said, with them mounted in the freeride position (which I'm sure everyone does) the tails are short and I don't find them difficult to kick turn (even on a steep icy footpath).
They have a flat tail and so are not as surfy as a fully rockered ski but they have a big tip rocker to give loads of float and its not tricky to flick the tails around when you need to. I haven't been on them in a steep icy couloir yet but I think the fairly straight shape (28m radius) will make them reassuring in those conditions.
Next week I'm doing a 3 day touring trip including the summit of Domes des Miages (conditions permitting) so I should be able to give you a fuller review after that (as a true ski mountaineering set up).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, cheers , i have my mythics mounted with rad 2 and they are amazing , so going with the same set up on fatter skis as they will be almost exclusively used for touring in the canadian powder , and if conditions are variable i will go with the mythics everytime

look forward to your review , and hope you get loads of fresh turns

@Themasterpiece, for me yes , extra few mill added to the straighter shape and radius make truly deep snow skiing so much more fun

the other good side of having two light touring ski set ups is they go in one bag on the plane with no weight issues Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dabber wrote:
looking to add a more powder orientated touring ski to my quiver

Have a look at Black Diamond Helio. I have the 105 in 175cm and they are excellent on the uphill and v light at well under 1500 grams each. Nose rocker like the Mythic, although not so pronounced, and camber underfoot to give good hold on steep firm terrain. Obviously great in any soft snow!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Dabber, go fatter and full rocker - perfect on those epic powder days. The Mythics will handle everything else.

Wide is not a problem if skinning in decent snow. Just make sure they're not too heavy for the up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@inspark, cheers for that , will only be using these in soft snow conditions of a british columbia powder day / season Toofy Grin so something with more rocker than the mythic is called for !
@BobinCH, fatter, faster, lighter , eh Toofy Grin whitedot carbonlights are looking fav , anything wider than that with my short legs ill be skiing like john wayne Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dabber wrote:
fatter, faster, lighter , eh Toofy Grin whitedot carbonlights are looking fav , anything wider than that with my short legs ill be skiing like john wayne Toofy Grin

I'd go Directors rather than Rangers for powder though. Tail rocker FTW!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Dabber wrote:
fatter, faster, lighter , eh Toofy Grin whitedot carbonlights are looking fav , anything wider than that with my short legs ill be skiing like john wayne Toofy Grin

Absolutely! I just did an off-piste week on a pair of Director Carbonlites and at no point did I even think of regretting the twin rocker! Very handy in the trees, and no major issues when skinning, even though I've got them mouted with frame touring bindings which are not exactly light.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dabber, 115+ please for where you're going. A second hand pair of Lotus 120's? Cham 2.0 117 or even Rossignol Super 7 HD's if you want something with a bit of camber underfoot.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Dabber wrote:

For powder, definitely!
snow conditions
Real question is what you got for resort pow days? BobinCH has the clue.
latest report
desicion made , whitedot directors mounted with radical 2's for the powder tours and resort pow days, mythics for anything else !!! and keep eye open for a second hand pair of cheap full fat fun skis for those once in a season epic deep powder days
Very Happy
oh and a condo in whistler to make sure i get good use out of them Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy