Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere Tunnel Piste - Returning Soon?

Poster: A snowHead
@iainm, yayyy...2 more short black runs, 76% slope apparently, with only infrequent visits from the piste basher.
snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I am still a bit unclear about this.

Is the tunnel itself reopening or are the black unpisted runs they mention simply the two routes either side of the lift back down on the Solaise side?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did that run before it was closed... hilariously horrible condition too, crusty, rocks, moguls and bogglingly steep. (The run on left back down on Solaise side, tunnel was closed)

Make sure everything is carefully in place before going up the drag lift as it is wincingly steep itself.

Think they have a mount point for the piste basher to attach to, to winch itself up if it ever bothers/tries to bash it...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 11-10-18 12:51; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
richjp wrote:
I am still a bit unclear about this.

Is the tunnel itself reopening or are the black unpisted runs they mention simply the two routes either side of the lift back down on the Solaise side?

At the top, you go through the tunnel and the black pistes (plus free ride area) drop you down the Fornet side of the ridge.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@richjp, there’s no mention of the tunnel reopening, just the runs either side of the lift.

I don’t remember it being scarily steep skiing but challenging enough. As for the drag lift ride up, for some reason the Nutcracker Suite usually came to mind.
snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@PeakyB, isn't there just one black on either side of the ridge? So if both blacks are reopening, the tunnel would have to reopen too, otherwise there'd be no way to access the black on the Fornet side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, good question. As I recall, 2 pistes came down either side of the drag lift. Then the other ‘piste’ was on the Fornet side, from the tunnel. Time plays tricks with the memory though.

All will become clear in a few short weeks I guess.
If the tunnel piste reopens, good luck with it
snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You might be right. It's been a while since I was there too!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I found this on an old Piste Map, not sure how old it is so it may have been different in the past.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mikeg36, interesting, guess that map at least a decade old.
I don’t remember the black piste on the Solaise side sweeping around so far away from the lift.

Also, map implies that the lift drops you high enough to ski down to tunnel. The twice I went through it, I’m sure it dropped you beneath, so you had to clamber uphill a little to tunnel.

After being out of action for so long, I can see it being a novelty attraction this season.
snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PeakyB,
It's all piste map cartographer's licence Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/o1qUVvh3Xdw
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The pistes were never that interesting from it but there was quite a good bit of off piste that could be reached by traversing form the top of the drag from memory.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks horrible/terrifying! I'd be too scared to put a turn in. None of the people on the vid above were making a good job of it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gosh that video brings it all flooding back. For me it was right up there with a 30 minute walk out in ball deep snow after getting lost in a white out - so pretty high on my list of things I have vowed to never do again.

It's as steep as the 'drop off' on Face but never pisted. The areas off the side can be good after a fresh dump but are a strong avi risk due to the gradient.

I heard they only closed it as they got fed up rescuing so many people from it. You will still get 'expert' Parisians taking their terrified 3-days-on-skis wives/girlfriends down there.
snow report
Fascinating video Onnem.
As HoneyBunny mentions: looks a bit scary, and the skiers seen seemed to be having a tough time at the top.

Best bit was at the start of the drag up: sign says "No Boarders" Toofy Grin
(grabs coat and rapidly exits building)
snow report
@Jonpim, I did the tunnel on a board. The drag lift was so steep that it destroyed your front leg for the rest of the day.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, Shocked

It would be ideal for a white knuckle roller coaster ride I think snowHead
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
@Mikeg36, interesting, guess that map at least a decade old.
I don’t remember the black piste on the Solaise side sweeping around so far away from the lift.

Also, map implies that the lift drops you high enough to ski down to tunnel. The twice I went through it, I’m sure it dropped you beneath, so you had to clamber uphill a little to tunnel.

After being out of action for so long, I can see it being a novelty attraction this season.
snowHead

I can't remember when the Pyramides Express chair was put in - approx. summer 2007? Before that it was a drag lift ALL the way to the top of Signal, with a violent 90 degree left turn where the chair now ends - many boarders (and not a few skiers) were 'flicked' off the drag at that point. And then it got steep!
When 3000 was open, but not the tunnel, the trick was to carry your skis/board upto the ridge & hit the powder down the other side. Sorry to anyone whose powder-stash I've just blown. Confused
snow report
Cannot believe folk who can barely ski were allowed down that run.
latest report
@Whitegold, can’t think how lifties would stop them. Warning sign at bottom of drag lift. Individual skier decides. snowHead
snow conditions
Unlike a chairlift The Poma will put many off including most snowboarders.

It’s good though that they are doing this providing access to some unpisted challenging runs and a challenging lift.

I carnt see it being open before January most years however. Will be interesting to see whether it is more resilient than the up and over chair or is closed more often because of avalanche risk ?
snow report
Used to enjoy those Tunnel moguls mid 1990's.
snow conditions
@bar shaker, what I want to know is whether or not the Tunnel drag lift was as bad as Homme de Pierre in Risoul. Another ball breaker. Sounds steeper, but shorter.
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
@bar shaker, what I want to know is whether or not the Tunnel drag lift was as bad as Homme de Pierre in Risoul. Another ball breaker. Sounds steeper, but shorter.

I've never been to Risoul, so can't help. Drags are a pain when on a board and I try to avoid them unless on skis.
ski holidays
Its purely technique. Just make sure your skis are moving forward at the instant the Poma engages the moving rope. That will greatly reduce your inertia. Skating off gently will help.
snow conditions
Peter S wrote:
Its purely technique. Just make sure your skis are moving forward at the instant the Poma engages the moving rope. That will greatly reduce your inertia. Skating off gently will help.

I think you misread me. You need to try a steep drag on a board, to realise what an absolute pleasure and PoP they are on skis.
snow report
Initial jolt due to inertia is not even remotely the issue with that 3000 button lift... once underway, it's the extreme slope which means far more of your weight will be resting on that tiny button than on any 'normal' Poma lift. It really is 'interesting' and the warning for 'no snowboarders' is for that good reason.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.facebook.com/785411398200042/posts/2360544960686670/

Well if it's open next year I may get a chance after all. Always fancied the Solaise side not sure about the Le Fornet though.
snow report
Radio Val report that following the technical inspection by the 'State Authorities' yesterday, the refurbed/mostly new 3000 draglift will open towards the end of Jan or early Feb. Unless we have significant snowfalls only the piste back to the Solaise will be open, so we will have to wait for the Tunnel and its run.
snow conditions
Once you have got down that narrow path is it actually any fun further down? Sort of reminds me of the Swiss Wall in PDS - the sort of run you tick off and decide you never have to do again until someone who hasn't needs company and the whole mess starts again...
latest report
@Spin Doctor, I don’t remember the Tunnel side piste being much fun, even lower down. Not too tricky, after the horrible top section, but teeth and buttocks still clenched, which squeezed the fun out of it.

However, in this age of social media, I look forward to seeing a new wave of Tunnel terror eventually. Must be challenging for the piste basher too!

I can only think the tunnel was an alternative way over to La Fornet, for when the old up ‘n’ over chair closed.

The Solaise side of drag lift 3000 much more enjoyable. Be good to see the lift working again.
snowHead
ski holidays
I was in Val last week and had a good look at the drag lift whilst riding up Glacier. It looks as if the top of the drag lift is now on the summit ridge, allowing direct access to both sides. There was a Pistebully creating a piste on the Solaise side as I went past.
snow conditions
@kditrj2d, really? Lift straight to top of ridge? Wouldn’t want to overshoot then.
In that case, no need to stoop through the tunnel to get to the La Fornet side?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy