Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What might be causing morning stomach upsets in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
A nurse once told me not to take Immodium within the first 24 hours...the system needs to flush out the bad bugs first. That's what diarrhea is supposed to do.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think this is a bacterial/viral infection though, as it is something which happens on every visit. Much more likely to be an intolerance to something eaten/drank. Imodium is therefore IMO perfectly fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am very confused (maybe even concerned... if I could be bothered) as to why a few of the SH's on this thread think that water rich in minerals (more so than your normal water) will make you feel poorly?

I have scoured the net (albeit a little briefly) and can find no evidence to back this up.
Sodium rich (ie. salty) is an obvious exception but even this is over time.

If someone could point me in the direction of a direct source (ie. not a Daily Mail article etc... etc... ) that proves this it would be gratefully received!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@flangesax, the point that's being made (I think) is that the water is different from what the OP is used to, not that there's anything 'wrong' with it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nah... that doesn't wash with me (see what I did there?)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another one for the coffee. Definitely speeds up digestion!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm up to my max with luggage weight as it is, no room for food and drink. By the time it got to the hotel after being warm for a day, it would probably do more harm than good anyway. I could manage without milk, eggs and I could drink only bottled water, going without any form of bread though would be difficult. Technically according to my GP, you aren't supposed to take anti diarrhoea meds and Buscapan, as they fight each other. I've been on Omeprazole for years and it does what it's supposed to, control the acid reflux - won't be stopping it as I don't want to end up with stricture of the esophagus and surgery. Imodium works fine to slow/stop the runs, Ideally though I need to stop the reactions in the first place. If this was due to stress, I'd have it in other stressful situations rather than enjoying myself in the snow and being waited on in the dining room! The annoying thing is, I don't smoke, hardly ever touch alcohol, eat healthily most of the time, yet I get the runs and all this pain on holiday whilst my other half is complaining he's constipated!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@sharon1953, it's perfectly safe to take loperamide (Imodium) and Buscopan (Hyoscine) or mebeverine together if you have cramping pains with your diarrhoea. They don't 'fight each other'. Omeprazole is also not to blame, and can also be taken safely with loperamide. You can buy lactase enzyme capsules, which would help rule out the milk and cheese as the cause. Take before meals, and it will digest the lactose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My tummy does go a bit "funny" whenever we go skiing in Austria (we usually stay half-board as well) but nothing as bad as yours. I just assumed it is the food and water that my tummy is not used to.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 27-03-17 19:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are you eating (wiping out and sniw in mouth) the snow on the slopes??

Im serious.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
the sound of music
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I also tend to get 'nervous' tummy before skiing that warrants many more trips to the bathroom than when I am at home. So understand. Not quite as violent as you are describing though, so maybe it is made worse by something you are eating?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've read your post with interest as I've had the same problem,I put mine down to altitude and a little nervous anticipation of day skiing,I self medicate with Imodium and I stop drinking coffee altogether and replace with peppermint tea,the peppermint tea in the am has made an enormous difference.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flangesax wrote:
What does 'local' milk mean?
In Flachau it means you can almost see the "girls" who were responsible for it out of the window Laughing
latest report
If it's any help- I had the same problem- I was a tight @rse and always filled my bladder in my rucksack with tap water, so decided to stop doing that, and now everything is sweet (unless there was a boozy doo the night previously)
ski holidays
@flangesax, in all honesty I made that suggestion based on anecdotal evidence as someone told me about it so I don't claim any direct knowledge. You did however inspire me to google and I found this from an article in the International Journal of Preventative Medicine (before you ask, no I haven't checked if it was peer reviewed or the basis for the claims!):

Digestive health and constipation

Even GI health is also reported being benefited from hard water since it provides potentially alleviating effects on the onset of constipation in the 85% cases. A rich union of calcium and magnesium in hard water, in a right combination, helps to combat constipation. The calcium in hard water results in teaming up with excess bile and its resident fats to lather up the soap like insoluble substance, which is emitted from the body during bowel movements. Indeed, many renowned scientists have considered hard water as a boon as it has some fantastic health benefits that seem to encourage longer life expectancy and improved health. Magnesium salt represents with a laxative effect. This provides a rapid evacuation of intestine. Magnesium citrate, magnesium phosphate, and magnesium hydroxide are also used. The American Gastroenterology Association recommends milk of magnesia for the management of constipation as one of the therapeutic options; however, the Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation discourages the routine use of saline magnesium laxatives due to possible side effects such as abdominal cramping, watery stools, and potential for dehydration and hypermagnesium. They only indicate the use of these laxatives in end-stage patients when other options have failed, and with and adequate prospective evaluation of magnesium levels.
snow conditions
Clearly you need to stay at Flangesax's place next trip to Austria and we can get to the bottom of this.
ski holidays
Always at the same resort and the same hotel...??
snow conditions
Agree a food/drink intolerance seems most likely. But since it only happens on ski holidays, and from day 2, it might be worth reviewing any ski-specific kit and giving it all a deep clean: e.g. poles, helmet, backpack, hydration pack, ski gloves, the box you keep your ski gear in, etc
ski holidays
@monkey, the water is certainly very, very soft so I guess ones tummy could get a bit frothy based on that article!
snow conditions
Just to check, you aren't as a energy booster taking vitamins, Vitamin C, Berocca or similar?

If so, that could well be the problem. Too much vitamin C = poopies Smile
latest report
I have had similar problems in the past in France and after some years of trial and error worked out that it was the bread. I suggest avoiding all bread products to see if your condition improves. It worked for me although I cannot explain why French bread is different to English bread.
ski holidays
albatross wrote:
I cannot explain why French bread is different to English bread.
Different strain of yeast? snowHead
ski holidays
Different flours have different levels of gluten, for example, when we see 'strong' flour which is more suitable for making bread it really just means that it has a higher gluten level.

Removing gluten from your diet is a good idea to prove it is affecting you or not but I still guess that it's a dairy problem.
latest report
With me I guess it's the fact that I eat about 4 times as much on a ski holiday as I do at home and eat stuff I never eat at home, which includes both bread and butter. I also drink (alcohol-wise) about 4 times the amount I do at home. So, all in all, I expect, and often get "tummy troubles" Embarassed .
latest report
I've been here two weeks so far this year and I don't get tummy troubles as such, but have to have the odd emergency dump. Toofy Grin
snow report
Lots of familiar symptoms and elimination solutions I can identify with. This year in Davos (15th annual visit) been my best in years. My personal experience but hope it helps;

No breakfast apart from nettle and peppermint tea
Avoid eating before noon - think this is the biggest single change that brought me most benefit.
Eat like a king for lunch - but be careful with local soup ingredients (cream,cheese...and peppers!)
Drink beer as necessary (eliminated it one year - did not help thank the lord)
No chocolate at all
No coffee at all ( this used to be my trigger to empty all in the morning to avoid mountain loos). New routine means to "go later and go firmer" if you get my drift.
Okay to eat local bread( another thing I avoided unnecessarily for years)
Omeprazole works but Buscapon works much faster for me
Avoid peppers and chillies ( do this in UK too) in any dishes
McVities Digestives sneaked in luggage as a salty/sugar hit if needed
Keeping a holiday food diary can be a sobering experience.

It would also be nice to see those dirty macho b******* washing their hands properly, or at all, to avoid spreading D&V bugs but that's another story.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe take with you some meal replacement bars to eat instead of the local breakfast (try them first at home).
snow report
Go see a doc, son.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Go see a doc, son.

April fool?
snow report
My son struggles with the same......It's a combination of altitude & change of diet. Rarely do we keep the same diet when on a ski holiday. Keep a strict diet until you adjust to the altitude.
snow conditions
Late to the party but wanted to add an observation.
I find it perculiar but understandable with these upset tummies.
No one is caught out at night while sleeping.
If they were it would be be something viral. i.e. Norovirus.

Not able to offer anything more than that unfortuntely.

From someone who also suffers. A confident skier so that isnt the problem. Once i am out its not been a problem (fingers crossed).
Psychological obviously.
ski holidays
albatross wrote:
.. although I cannot explain why French bread is different to English bread.

Yep, French bread can be a bit of a pain... wink
snow report
@Alastair Pink, rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink, Laughing
latest report
@Alastair Pink Smile
snow report
I had a similar problem (but mine included feeling sick but was never sick). I kept drinking more water and not eating, hoping I would feel better. It made it worse.

I switched to drinking bottled water only and all the symptoms disappeared. Alcohol was fine, so I stuck to that and bottled water and had no more problems.
snow report
I have recently developed a bit of a sensitive stomach when it comes to eggs and coffee, two staple breakfast items of course. The onset is quite rapid, but not very dramatic, but I know it is these items and not the previous evening's dinner. Therefore I would keep the focus on your breakfast regime.
Maybe next trip, take cereal bars and bottled water. Have those alone on your first morning and see if you are symptom free. Then go from there..
latest report
DB wrote:
Most of Austria has been badly affected, it's been traced back to @queen bodecia's ski boots wink

Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy