Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another post on boot buying (eye roll) - profeet V solutions4feet cost

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

After just getting back from a weekend away in Chamonix swimming around in some rental boots I have decided to buy.

Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone on this forum as, although I am a first time poster, I have learnt a lot from you all (now and in the past on resort advice) and you have saved me from the false economy of buying badly fitting boots in S&R or EB sales eBay et al.

I live in London and the choice is now between profeet and solutions4feet. CEM and solutions4feet seem to me me to provide a better service and are less expensive than profeet but I also have to factor in the travel time and a £50 return train fare as I don't own a car.

Although service fees are listed on both sites as a noob it is still unclear to me what I can expect to spend. Appreciate this will depend on whether I need custom soles, what boots I am recommended etc - but, my question is (finally rolling eyes ), for those that have used either in the last 2 years - how much did you spend? I am looking for the average spend so I can make a better comparison.

Cost is not the only factor, of course, but both are platinum plus and will be good enough for my needs as a good intermediate skier looking to improve, but as said, I have to factor in travel time/costs, especially if I need to make a return visit for adjustments - how likely is this? Pretty likely I imagine? I probs won't have a chance to test the boots at a snowdome or other.

I won't be skiing until next season and am in no rush to buy - would Summer be the best time to book an appointment?

I have very wide feet, quite a big arch, my big toe is smaller than the one next to it, semi-bunions Shocked My feet are mashed up basically.

I'm a good intermediate skier: ski anywhere on the mountain, on and off piste. Look pro on blues and wide reds but my technique can be undone on icy blacks or moguls or in deep powder. I ski with very good skiers (all past seasonares) and really want to improve my performance and technique. I'm a one week a year skier but am hoping to add a few more long weekends and maybe the occasional 2 week trip in too over the coming years.

I will keep the boots for years until they are knackered.

Thank you to everyone! I'm really looking forward to getting involved as I've got the skiing bug back!! Blush

PS sorry this turned into a bit of an essay!!!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's unfortunate you didn't pop into Sole Boot Lab in Chamonix, they are excellent.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see train returns (Marylebone to Bicester Village ) from £11 return on a vague Tuesday. (46 Minutes each way)
Walk then seems to be 10 minutes.
There are some other threads mentioning that stock levels will now be low and you may be better waiting until September/October for the new season deliveries.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EscapetoVictory, welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Around September when the new season stock is in, is a good time, but book well in advance.
You'd be looking at the fitting fee + the boots + the footbeds, I think @CEM has pricing on his site for all those. Assuming you don't go mad and buy boot heaters, custom liners etc. Embarassed
Depending on what socks you use you might also want to buy some decent technical socks - and you'd want to have the boot fitted wearing the socks you'll be using, so not something to buy afterwards. Personally I bought my new socks from @CEM at the same time as the boots - I checked prices later and thought he was selling them at a comparable price to other sellers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@runkmc I know! I saw that on the forums. Oh well.

@jezza123 Oh sweet! I had a quick look on trainline and saw £50. Decision done. I'm coming to see you CEM!

@Tubaski Nice one! I will get booking now for the summer and make sure I am armed with everything I need.

Thanks so much guys!!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@EscapetoVictory, be prepared to come away disappointed. CEM will not put you in a pair of boots that are not right for you in his opinion. Most likely he will find you the right fitting pair but his reputation is near legendary around here. It's correct fitting boots or not at all on his watch.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what @ansta1 said, he did exactly that with me when I went in Feb couple of years ago. On the plus side he did all the measuring and consultation then sent me on my way. On my return in September he had my boots all ready for fitting when I walked through the door. I have very wide feet, one 1/2 size difference between them, and fallen arches, and he still got me my best boots ever.
This is very much a subjective view, but the location of Profeet (Fulham Road) leads me to believe they will fit to flatter, not fit to fit (if you see what I mean).

Profeet website - Sport Assessment (ahem) - £120, Custom Insoles - £124.95. So add £250 onto the price of your boot.

Or get on a train to Bicester and get them done by a professional.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ansta1 definitely - it's great to see all the good feedback @CEM has on here. Very good sign. Don't mind having to wait for the right fit, especially for something that I am going to use for years to come.

@DrJohn agreed wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's a bit harsh on Profeet IME. All other things being equal I'd choose CEM, but Profeet are by no means a bad option and clearly a cut above the big chains
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@arno agreed also. Have done a fair bit of research into this and profeet are clearly a viable option. They are platinum plus certified, but at a platinum price. Both solutions4feet and profeet have staff with a lot of experience and 301 BSBA and I am sure I would receive a great fit at either. Ultimately, the advice from the guys above, the great feedback @CEM has received, and the better pricing is what has swung it for me but I am sure I would have got a good fit and service at profeet, but as @drJohn noted, profeet is an all bells and whistles outfit in an expensive part of town catering mostly for clients where money is no object...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

That's a bit harsh on Profeet IME. All other things being equal I'd choose CEM, but Profeet are by no means a bad option and clearly a cut above the big chains

And part of their additional cost is prime London premises vs Bicester which you might feel worth paying for convenience. I work in London but live half way to CEM. I've not been a client but I'd go there based on reputation here.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jedster exactly - this was my dilemma. Time is money! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thoroughly recommend Solutions for feet (particularly if you have testing feet!). Live 3.5 hours from Bicester, had to go back once for a fettle. Boots have been perfect since ~6 years 2-3 weeks per year. Salamon cs with zipfit liners. Definitely worth the trip. My experience is that if you get properly fitted boots from an expert you will save at least one wasted boot purchase. The saved money will pay for the custom liner/ insole.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My most recent experience of Profeet is that they heat moulded some liners in boots bought elsewhere, did a very good job of it (not something which really tested their skills to the limit but the process still took a bit of time in the shop) and charged me the princely sum of £10 for the experience

CEM has also done stuff for me in return for beer -not asked for by him but I felt I ought to
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I live near Heathrow and was faced with the same choice - I'd happily have used either, but in the end plumped for @CEM because:
a) So much good feedback on here
b) It would probably have taken as long to get to Putney as to Bicester
c) I could pop into Hemel 'on the way back' and test my new boots Wink - obviously not quite as easy when you're on a train...
latest report
@tubaski re c) that's not a bad shout! I might see if I can borrow a friend's car/persuade someone that they also need new boots from @CEM!!
snow conditions
I bought boots two weeks ago in Profeet. Was having serious issues with foot pain. The fitter was really good , explained why my salamon boots were too narrow for me and not enough room above the foot. They do all the measuring stuff then tell you which boots are best and give you a selection to try. Boots were £340 plus £160 fitting which got me custom foot beds and heel lifts and some boot stretching. They feel great but proof will be in the wearing next week.
ski holidays
@angus_og that's really good to know. Thank you. Likewise @arno
ski holidays
@EscapetoVictory,
If you don't know what you expect to spend, we'll do what I did and ring Colin and ask him what it might be. This isn't some uber rich "if you have to ask you can't afford it" bollix. It's a boot shop.

What on earth is "platinum plus"? I wouldn't mind some of that myself! Also, what are the "service fees"? I got boots from Colin, and only paid for the boots and foot beds. Has some additional fee been introduced? If so I apologise for my ignorance. If I remember correctly the cost was the retail price for stuff, and no more. Then again, I am very old, and may have got it all wrong.

If you do go to Bicester, make sure it is at the same time as Andy M is there to do the alignment/cant stuff. Beyond platinum.
latest report
@HammondR, he definately charged me a consultation fee, and it is listed on his site...
https://www.solutions4feet.com/services/our-charges
snow report
@EscapetoVictory, I think you'll looking at £450 minimum.
That seems to be the figures that get floated around here.
@Angus og, what boots did you walk out with?
snow conditions
Atomic Hawks
ski holidays
flex? 16/17 or 17/18?
snow report
EscapetoVictory wrote:
I ski with very good skiers (all past seasonares)

Don't be fooled into thinking that all former seasonaires are very good. Usually fast and confident, not always technically so hot. They've often, not always, developed via lots of skiing and not much training. To you your skiing buddies may look the business, an instructor may be less impressed. wink
snow report
Hawk prime 120
Don't know the flex rating .
snow report
That'll be the 120 bit wink
snow report
flangesax wrote:
@EscapetoVictory, I think you'll looking at £450 minimum.
That seems to be the figures that get floated around here

About what i have paid twice overvthe past 5 years at profeet. The prices are listed on the website. I had to go back and have one boot adjusted after 3 years to correct a different stance after i broke my knee. It took an hour but they didn't charge. I think adjustments are free in the first year.
latest report
flangesax wrote:
That'll be the 120 bit wink

Wow ! what a coincidence wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hammomdr - that's good advice, thank you

@flangesax - haha, great name! Laughing and @holidayloverxx - thank you both, that's really good to know. Have seen those kind of figures elsewhere on here too. Certainly a lot more than if I just picked up some boots in the sale but am confident it will be money well spent. Better to buy the right thing once than buy twice, or even more - saw some posts where people had bought three or four boots before finally getting properly fitted! Even with my own limited experience renting I am always taking boots back to be swapped or tinkered with!

@mollerski - that's certainly true! Actually they are all snowboarders rolling eyes and only one other skier and he really is good! He can do parallel turns and everything Laughing
ski holidays
S4F did me earlier in the year.

Think the boots were 360 (Lange RX120) and the final bill was 585 inc some nice socks.

Best money I have ever spent!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy