Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lessons dilemma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We have a 4 day May Day bank holiday trip booked in Tignes and now have an absolute beginner coming with us. She will obviously need lessons but I don't know what to recommend as she won't be able to do ski school. Thought perhaps a 3 hour private on the first day and then an hour over lunch for the remaining days? Will she get enough out of that? She lives in Brighton so I don't think there is a snow dome nearby to get any lessons in before she goes. Have another friend coming who did well in ski school last year and was happy on blues but doubt they would be able to share lessons.
I think the only option is for some lessons in advance at Hemel or MK but a bit of a trek for her.
Any thoughts welcome as I am starting to worry now!
Thanks
F
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What about some dry slope lessons. Not as good as a snow dome but will help get the basics. Knockhatch dry slope is about 25 miles away.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We quite regularly have beginners coming up to us in Guildford from Brighton for lessons - it's only an hour or so. Have a lesson, go and have a nice pub lunch, come back for another lesson after lunch.
Going to Hemel would be a long trek!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fs, A 2hr morning lesson costs €140 (max 5 people) & a 1.5 hr lunch time lesson costs €74 (max 3 people) with ESF. Book a couple of these and use the free lifts & she should be fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @stewart woodward, I was looking at ESF last night and thought I might email them. Will they be running group lessons at all? I am assuming not that late in the season and the fact it is only 4 days. But otherwise she could go along and just do 4 out of the 6 which may be cheaper and she will meet people. We are staying at Melezes and saw that ESF had a base at 1800 so that may be convenient.

Thanks @karin, is Guildford real snow? I didn't realise that so will definitely suggest that.

I feel really responsible for her so want to be sure I am recommending the best thing for her.

Thanks everyone
F
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just realised that lessons will start on the Sunday not the Saturday. I may email ESF to see if they will let us have private lessons (2 friends at different levels so will need two sets of lessons) on the Saturday and then join ski school for three days. I don't mind skiing with them For some of the time over the 4 days but will want to go further afield as well.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get lessons in advance at a dome. Even if it is the evening, then why not plans dinner there and get as much practise in as possible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dry slope could be a shout as suggested and If your mate is fit and up for it some of the domes do a a beginners ski day. 6.5 hrs on snow and pretty full on. Think they used to call it 'learn to ski in a day'.

£180 but it would give her a real 'head start' before heading out to Tignes.

https://www.snozoneuk.com/learn-to-ski/
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd definitely advocate dry slope or a fridge before going, just to learn the very basics of putting on skis, getting into a snow plough, and early moves. At least 2 or 3 lessons in the UK should set her up quite nicely. Then definitely a private lesson first thing on the holiday, probably a couple of lunchtimes after that.

The problem you'll of course face is wanting to spend time with her; it can be pretty painful (especially on a shortened trip) just sticking to the nursery slopes. Even more so if she doesn't pick it up very quickly. And she won't enjoy it anywhere near as much if she's just consigned to a few basic slopes on her own.

Do a few lessons here in the UK and, you never know, she may pick it up quickly enough to keep your other relative beginner company for much of the time. I think it would be unrealistic though to expect that without having done anything at all in the UK beforehand.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fs, that would be ok with ESF. drop them a email any problems send me a pm and I will sort for you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fs, that would be ok with ESF. drop them a email any problems send me a pm and I will sort for you.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@fs, Bowles (Tunbridge Wells) and Knockhatch (Eastbourne) not far from you at all. Not sure if you will find any courses still running this late in the season, but for a 4-day trip definitely worth the investment here first. Aim for being able to use a drag lift and link turns.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@fs,
Quote:

Thanks @karin, is Guildford real snow? I didn't realise that so will definitely suggest that

It's a dry slope, the comment was as an add on to the Knockhatch suggestion
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone. I have persuaded her to get some lessons before she goes and have emailed ESF to see what they can offer.
Looking forward to it now!
Thanks
F
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy