Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

16 year old, Need Help Picking New Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yep. I am about 175 cm tall, and weigh around 61 kg. I have been skiing a long time mostly on piste stuff. Recently I have improved alot lately, and I have been trying more and more mogals and even glades in good conditions. I am probably an intermediate skier because I can ski almost anything in good conditions. I currently have some old, Jr Elans. I think they are 159 cm or 160. Ive had them for a few years and they are getting short for me and beat up.
I'll be honest I don't know much of anything about skis. Ive been looking at the Elan S08, at 168 cm. I was thinking 168 is a good size cause it allows plenty of room for growth. I am not really sure though. Can anyone point me in the direction to a good pair of skis, and good length.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dubdub57, Welcome to snowHeads. I'm sure lots of people will be able to help you, and even if they can't, would like to have fun trying!

But (there's always one) they're gonna ask, so I may as well ask for them, for a bit more about you. How old were you when you started skiing? How many weeks have you skied total/how many times a year do you go and for how long? Do you ski on dry regularly? What do you like to ski and where are you comfortable (blues/reds/blacks), do you do any off-piste and if so what percentage on/off? Do you want an all-round ski or one that's strong on a particular type of turn/terrain/conditions? Remember, the more specific and accurate you are the better we can help.

PS we have everyone on here from people who've never even skied and are planning their first trip to people who are working in the trade in Europe, top qualified instructors, extreme skiers and ex-World Cup racers, but most of us are just average punters with little talent and lots of enthusiasm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well thanks alot for replying. I started skiing when I was very young, maybe 3 or 4, so I have been skiing for about 12 years. I live in Indiana, unforunatly, so I don't get as much skiing in as I would like to. I usually drive at to the rockies for a week around christmas, and later in the winter, I ski in a couple times in Northern Michigan on the weekends for about 2-3 days at a time. So total in the winter about 2 weeks, but each year, I try to get out there a little more. I can handle any blue, and I'm very comfortable on them. I can do most blacks, but I am not as comfortable on them. I have been trying more and more off-piste stuff, about 80% on piste and 20% off but thats going up. I think by dry you mean the light snow that's out west. The snow in the Michigan is very wet and thick. So ski in both. I think I want a versatile ski. One that can handle different kinds of snow, carve well, and now a little bit of mogals and off-piste stuff. I think I answered all of your questions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dubdub57 wrote:

...I think by dry you mean the light snow that's out west...

Laughing this site's largely dominated by your cousins who speak English from across the Atlantic wink and who have the dubious privilege of having dry ski slopes made of upturned recycled toilet brushes 'cos the mountains are too far away rolling eyes It's called dendix and we have places like this also using Snowflex.

But in answer to your original question, the most important thing is try before you buy. Ski choice is very personal and a ski that comes top in a magazine or web review for your level and intent just might not suit. Of course usually it'd be fine and certainly hardly ever a problem (there aren't a lot of bad skis these days) but I've skied recommended skis for my level that just didn't work for me. Go somewhere where you can demo ski your shortlist and then decide. It's the best/only way to say.

The way I see it you could try a variety of not too stiff not too advanced but solid intermediate skis which would also help you progress. Some are more piste orientated but will do limited off piste and some are more all mountain. I'd suggest you try Atomic M:9, Fischer RX6, Salomon 1080, Rossignol B2, Head iXRC 800. Maybe Dynastar Legend 4800, Atomic M:11. Hope this helps. Have fun finding out. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whoa, I didn't even know that existed, thanks alot for helping me, just curious, what is a good length? I was thinking somewhere around 160 cm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I was thinking somewhere around 160 cm

Sounds about right to me! snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wow, thanks alot, you've been really helpful. I'll be heading out next weekend and I am excited to demo some of these.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dubdub57, glad to help, let me know how it goes Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd up the game a bit and look for advanced plus skis. Look out for the new Elan magfires, the Rossis Z's, Nodica Top fuels etc.
Sounds like you want a ski for hardpack and one that will take a dive into steeper/deeper stuff every now and again.
With your profile I would be inclined to look at detuned slalom/Gs skis so the Rossi 9 and the Elan SFX might be worth a try as well

If you can find it try the Stormrider XL...but it might be expensive and unheard of in your parts.

Try the search facility for the skis you want to look out for
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does anyone know the main differences between the Metron 10, and 11. I tried the m:11 last week and liked it but they did not have the 162, which is what I would get so I could grow into it, so I ended up on the 152. The only thing I really didn't like was it seemed that it only wanted to do very short quick turns. I have heard the M:10 is a little better for longer turns but has anyone ever tried one?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I suggest you spend 20 bucks and get a subscription to Realskiers.com; their reviews are very good and you can find a ski that matches your requirements. In the meantime I think you might enjoy solomon Equipes, Fischer RX6 or 8,Rossi VS Oversize.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dubdub57, Metrons are meant to be skied short and esp as you're quite light 152 was prob right for you but there is a sizing index on the atomic website. I've skied the M:10 which is more piste orientated but only in a limited environment and couldn't really comment other than to say it wasn't difficult to handle but not the M:11 which is more all mountain and reputedly more twitchy. As is always the case, you're the only one who can judge if a ski suits. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy