Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Get Insured Folks !!

Poster: A snowHead
@Dr John, thanks. I'll look into the SCGB policy for the EoSB.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowglider, used the SCGB insurance for years but the recent change and requirement to seek out a public clinic/hospital for treatment put me off and I'm now with MPI.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@snowglider, I've just been through CompareTheMarket.com and ended up, with a fistful of pre-conditions, with Just Travel Insurance. They seem to specialize in insuring those of us with pre-cons, and are backed by a Lloyds syndicate (whatever that's worth)

I have no idea about their quality, but annual for a family of three, with winter cover, was £138. If you want the summer sport uplift (e.g. mountain biking, white water etc.) it was an additional £20 each.

Off piste is covered so long as you follow local advice (it specifically says "if the resort says don't go without a guide, then don't go without a guide" - but does't seem unduly concerned if no such warning, or about avalanche risk ratings)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kelskii, that's what it was - I knew I'd read something to the effect that it's no longer as good as it used to be. So I'm not going senile after all Smile

Hmmm, that requirement is a big deal for me. Don't think I fancy being (possibly) driven past private (likely nearby) hospitals that could help, when in need of a medical intervention, in order to meet their requirement to be treated at a public one.

May as well just stick with the MPI then.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, that seems really cheap - I've just purchased a policy from MPI and it cost ~ that much for just myself.

But never mind - there are a lot of testimonies here on the forum about MPI pulling their weight in time of need, which is all that matters.
Thanks for the heads up though, I'll certainly consider them next time I renew the policy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We get the insurance 'free' with RBS and I let them know every time I'm skiing so it's on record, I've checked their cover and it's pretty good. We even did an ultra marathon in Transylvania a couple of years ago and as long as I didn't go running above 3000m it covered me for that too. I always carry the document with me too, except for last year when we totally forgot to bring it. Cue total panic, a sedate ski back to the hotel and a quick phonecall for them to email us a copy!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kelskii, @snowglider, think you'll find that the SCGB insurer is just being upfront about it. MPI will also want you using your EHIC in the nearest state facility and MPI do what they can to ensure you are carrying an EHIC. It's not private medical insurance, its emergency medical insurance - there's a big difference and why travel insurance is so cheap by comparison. Depends where you have your accident but I think I'd much prefer being in a big state hospital in France, Italy or Austria than some private clinic that may be less well equipped to deal with your injury and any complications and may have a profit motive to over-deliver on the procedures - I know for certain that happens on the Spanish Costas for example. Anyway just wanted to say that you are possibly deluded if you think MPI and SCGB have a different approach to medical claims.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our policy is with SCGB and when i broke my ankle in switzerland at the end of last season (but on the annual policy that has only just expired not sure if that makes a difference to T&C i haven't read them for a year) they happily reimbursed the x-ray and patching up at the local private doctor (apparently they could have paid direct but it was a Sunday and i was mobile so paid up and claimed to save hanging around) and they then paid the follow up in the state hospital in Visp, although that was mostly on EHIC. I think i paid out something like £160CHF to claim back and everything else was EHIC or insurance direct. On the downside, they wouldn't cover the taxi back to/from the car park in Saas Fee as we'd driven down in my own car, but would have if we'd had to get a taxi all the way to the hospital as the times on the taxi receipt didn't match with my notes from the hospital and they had no evidence it was in relation to a hospital trip... About 20CHF so not too bad bit a bit stingy given I'd saved them a 100+CHF taxi bill by getting to the hospital under my own steam.

Overall though they were really easy to deal with and i will probably stick with them, though no real expensive and serious injuries to deal with so no idea how they do with anything more complex.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

MPI will also want you using your EHIC in the nearest state facility and MPI do what they can to ensure you are carrying an EHIC.

This is true in my experience - with regard to my shoulder, MPI were clear that any further treatment required would have to be carried out in s state facility, also they wanted copies of my EHIC card.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Today this post came true for me. Also with MPI and touch wood they have been great, liaised very quickly with private clinic (none in resort that'll take ehic), paid all bill direct bar excess, no quibble over expensive MRI at £600 x 2 and braces at £300 x 2 plus doctor, meds, x rays etc. Offered to get me and Mr G back early if I feel I can't stay on ( double acl full rupture Sad ).
Hopefully they'll cover some physio at home too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pruman, no, I'm not deluded and carry an EHIC with me when skiing in Europe. I wasn't thinking of injury serious enough to require hospitalisation for which I would expect to be treated in a state facility. The SCGB policy that I considered over a year ago required the insured to contact the insurer for approval before approaching any private facility for treatment. I had in mind my own experience a few years ago when I fell on the edge of a ski in Obergurgl, which is about a 90min. ride from Innsbruck. I gashed my leg quite badly and my lower leg and boot became soaked in blood quite quickly. I skied down and walked straight to the only clinic (private) in the village where I was patched up and continued skiing the following day. I just wouldn't have wanted the aggro of phoning anyone prior to entering the clinic. I paid for the treatment and was reimbursed by the SCGB's underwriter at the time - I think this was PJ Hayman. I'm pleased that lampygirl's experience has been positive but the changes were all a bit recent when I was shopping around a while ago. @Grizzler, sorry to hear about your injury and thanks for the report on your dealings with MPI.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Grizzler, Sad Sorry to hear about your injury, well, actually injuries. That sounds really bad. Good service from MPI is a small consolation. Good luck with recovery and rehab.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Insurance I was not aware I needed. Just returned from Sestriere where an Italian ski instructor warned me against agreeing to take a young child from a ski school on the lift with me. He said unless I had taken out extra lift pass insurance if anything happened to the child I would be held liable. He said the instructors would understand if we just showed them our lift passes and said "No Insurance". He also said he was quitting the ski instructor game after new regulations have been brought in and he spent two hours with a lawyer at the pre-season get together where they were explained to him. Apparently under new rules he has to inspect each child's helmet every day to see if they conform to regulation - there are different categories for different abilities - and he cannot start the lesson if any are non-conforming. The new rules mainly apply to teaching young chidlren but he has noticed a big drop off in Italian adults having lessons due to the state of the Italian economy.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sestriere torchlight descent. If you are in Sesteriere this week keep your eyes open on Saturday night. Completely unannounced - well at least to the Brits - last Saturday (March 25) hundreds of Italian skiers made a spectacular torchlight descent from the Alpete restaurant at about 7.30pm. There were all carrying traditional flares and zig-zagged down the main piste at speed in far from ideal conditions as it was snowing heavily. Rumour was they were rehearsing for an upcoming world record attempt. Sorry I have no pix of the event but it was too cosy in the Hotel Du Col bar to venture outside.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, unfortunately, I too got to put MPI through their paces. Torn MCL (2-3 grade), sprained ACL (1-2 grade) + a "small fracture" (presumably they mean a hairline fracture) of my tibial plateau, "posterior, external" - whatever that means. The fracture is not displaced ***

I must say MPI were fantastic (or rather Mayday Assistance, who handle their claims for them). Liaisoned with me quickly, stepped in directly and sent letters guaranteeing payment.
Sadly the same cannot be said of the healthcare system in Andorra... They don't accept EHIC (which I knew beforehand), but they also declined to accept MPI's letter of assurance of payment (claiming they "don't have them on their list of approved insurance companies")?! Evil or Very Mad

So I ended up paying for everything (except for the MRI).
Furthermore, a hospital I went to (a state hospital, I'd made sure of it before going there) did not have any crutches or knee sleeves/compression bands, so I was sent hobbling off with just an inadequately applied bandage on my badly injured leg.
A hospital at a major ski resort, without any crutches or knee compression sleeves?! If I met you in person, and you told me this exact same story, I'd look you straight in the eye and call you a liar.

So, I can wholeheartedly recommend MPI to anyone out there looking for a decent insurance company. They also offered an early repatriation, a taxi from the resort to Barcelona (3hr transfer), an extra seat on the plane, as well as a taxi on arrival to the UK from Luton to London.
I declined all of them, though may well change my mind on the offer of an extra plane seat (I've got to keep my leg straight).

Unfortunatelly, I couldn't recommend Andorra as a ski destination to anyone. Other people may well have had different experience but, personally - and going purely on my own experience - unless you have a healthy credit limit on your c/card (and one never knows what kind of injury one might sustain & what the final costs may run up to), do yourself a favour and find an alternative ski destination. Your wallet and your nerves will thank you.

*** Therefore will have to undergo another MRI exam when I'm back in the UK, to make sure no further damage was done during my trips to the MRI centre & from there on to a some sort of pharmacy, where I hqd to buy some crutches & a knee sleeve.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 31-03-17 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@snowglider, bad luck. I think it's normal in France, so perhaps Andorra too, to get crutches from the pharmacy - rubbish if you are on your own. Do take advantage of the extra seat - you ideally need 3 seats and make sure it's on the correct side of the plane so you can sit with your back to the windows and leg up across the seats
latest report
@holidayloverxx, thanks very much. I did indeed change my mind - just spoke to MPI and, again, they are coming through and are saying they'll book 2 extra seats.
It's the only way that it'd work I guess, I'm 6' and with my leg outstreched across the seats, it'll easily take all 3.

Didn't know about the "no crutches in hospitals" policy - seems bizarre to me Shocked
Makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK where everything's in one place Smile
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
@snowglider, bad luck. I think it's normal in France, so perhaps Andorra too, to get crutches from the pharmacy - rubbish if you are on your own. Do take advantage of the extra seat - you ideally need 3 seats and make sure it's on the correct side of the plane so you can sit with your back to the windows and leg up across the seats

When my wife tore her calf muscle in Les Arcs five years ago I did indeed have to go along to the pharmacy to buy her meds and the crutches. They are rather nice ones with little crampon things that you can swing down for ice and snow.
latest report
Quote:

Makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK where everything's in one place

It is possibly the only thing the French admire about the NHS is that everything is available under one roof (and secretly the very low cost compared to their health system).
From my recollection in the UK you are loaned crutches which you take back whereas in France you have to buy them.
@snowglider, I would be interested to know if MPI reimburse you the full amount minus the excess. I made a claim on AXA for a injury in France that I had paid for myself in euros. They converted the euros to pounds at a very unfavourable rate and paid me in pounds so I had then to convert that back to euros once again at a rip off rate. It cost me IIRC about £100 extra.
ski holidays
Quote:

I made a claim on AXA for a injury in France that I had paid for myself in euros.

I should make it clear that I paid for the treatment, not the injury, a helmeted French kid did that for free.
ski holidays
Well, it's not just the crutches and the refusal to accept MPI's guarantee of payment. Rather, it's the entire attitude and the prevelent sense that my money was welcome, but that the same welcome did not extend to my presence.

I do not wish to bore anyone with the many examples and details, but here's one: at the MRI centre, a technician was asking which leg (in own language). Speaking a few Spanish words (and wanting to be helpful), I offered: "izquierda".

Suddenly, the technician went apoplectic: "Esquerra! We are Catalan here, and we are very patriotic! We say esquerra here, not izquierda"! - at some volume!

Now, I did not expect that! Shocked

Anyway, as my knee was bandaged, it wouldn't fit in the cylindrical structure of the MRI machine. He produced a pair of cissors and removed the bandage (no problem with that).
After the scan, he sent me to the reception, saying "they will give you the diagnosis there". I assumed someone there would also secure my knee in some way (either by bandaging it up, or using a brace of some sort, or a sleeve).

At the reception, they informed me that someone will give me the results "in two days"! Shocked
Now, this was not made clear to me at the time of booking (I had a choice to book the MRI scan somewhere else) despite my stressing that obtaining the diagnosis was a matter of extreme urgency.

But they refused to even discuss it any further, and sent me away hobbling, without even bandaging my knee up....
In the end, when MPI rang them and pressed them for results (I needed to be declared fit to fly - or not), they provided them the very same day...

Needless to say, Andorra won't see me again.
latest report
johnE wrote:

@snowglider, I would be interested to know if MPI reimburse you the full amount minus the excess. I made a claim on AXA for a injury in France that I had paid for myself in euros. They converted the euros to pounds at a very unfavourable rate and paid me in pounds so I had then to convert that back to euros once again at a rip off rate. It cost me IIRC about £100 extra.

Well, I'm sorry that I won't be able to tell you that - I've insured the excess on my policy (about £75, if I remember) for £13. It turned out to be a good move Sad
However, after reading about your experience with AXA, I'm bracing myself for the exhange rate MPI might (and probably will) use Confused
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Makes you realise how lucky we are in the UK where everything's in one place

It is possibly the only thing the French admire about the NHS is that everything is available under one roof (and secretly the very low cost compared to their health system).
From my recollection in the UK you are loaned crutches which you take back whereas in France you have to buy them.

It was the same in Canada, had to pay $50 for crutches (the old style under-armpit ones, to add insult to injury). Consultant back in the UK grimaced when he saw them and I was handed a new pair immediately. Previous experiences with the NHS is that although you can return crutches, they don't really expect them back.

Much amusement was had when they repeatedly tried to tell me I could take the Canadian pair home with me, because they wouldn't use them. Me pointing out I couldn't carry them, because my hands were occupied using other crutches, seemed to fall on deaf ears!
snow conditions
Quote:

I've insured the excess on my policy (about £75, if I remember) for £13.

Does this mean you expect to need medicl treatment every 6 years while out of the EHIC area?
snow conditions
@snowglider, gutted for you mate - not like you haven't had enough leg issues. Makes my current Hurty leg a mere flesh wound.
ski holidays
@snowglider, my sympathies Sad
Hope that your trip back was good - MPI got me back in Lufthansa business class, absolutely wonderful when you need leg room!
My experience in Austria certainly sounds much more efficient than yours, which seems a real nightmare - but again no EHIC cards, all private. Fortunately, bar £95 excess, MPI/MedicAssist paid it directly as soon as I phoned from the clinic.
latest report
Last season I broke my wrist skiing Jerusalem.

Cost of sorting it out was £250. Excess on insurance was £250.

These insurance chaps seem to know their sums.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I've insured the excess on my policy (about £75, if I remember) for £13.

Does this mean you expect to need medicl treatment every 6 years while out of the EHIC area?

@johnE, hmmm, I've tried to unravel the meaning of your post, but failed miserably.
Maybe it's all the Ibuprofen I'm taking at the moment?

But just in case we got our wires crossed somewhere, I actually bought a "excess waver" for £13, hope that clears it up?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks for your empathy. Yes, @spyderjon mentioned you did your leg in also Sad
I sent you get - well - soon wishes through him, and asked him about you a number of times, hoped he passed the well-wishing on?

I'm really gutted.... was looking forward to this trip for so long!

You ARE feeling better though, and are coming along to the Bash, aren't ya? I certainly hope so...
Me and @kacko are booked on the same train as you & @spyderjon, and also in the same hotel, on the same dates, on the both legs of the journey. It would have been so much fun!

Well, @kacko is still coming, so you guys can still gang up together and also, the trip will be a bit safer (should - God forbid - anyone break down).

Well I do hope you are back to your full beastly strength by the EoSB! Heal well mate! Hope to see you again soon - or at least before too long! snowHead
snow report
@Grizzler, thanks! Glad your trip back went well.
Am still in the resort actually, heading back tomorrow eve. Here with a mate, and was loath to leave him on his own, so declined MPI's offer of early repatriation. But MPI were really brilliant to me, can't fault them.
All the trouble that I've experienced came from the local health institutions, when they declined to accept any guarantees of payment by MPI and simply failed IME to privide adequate treatment and to safeguard against further injuries to my knee. They proved to be too lazy, greedy, rude and unprofessional.

So what's your rehab plan? Have you made any steps yet?
I've tried to research ACL injuries a bit and it would appear that patience is advised. It seems that, if a surgery is carried out before the inflamation subsides, a scar tissue can form and inhibit the knee function.

@sequoiaboard, so sorry to hear that - hope you're ok now? Wrist injuries can be awkward and take a long time to heal, especially in case of a scaphoid fracture.

Did you have an option to pay extra for "excess waver"?
The excess on my policy was not that much - about £75 but, at only £13 to wave it, I couldn't pass it up.
In your case, seemingly, it would have been even more worthwile (depending on the premium for the "excess waiver", of course).
But you are right - the insurance companies certainly seem to know very well what they're doing - as the house always wins.
latest report
@snowglider, As I see it you purchased an insurnace policy to cover you for a potential loss of £75. Let us assume that you have an annual policy, after all who doesn't. This policy cost you £13 pa therefore for the policy to be in your favour you will have to claim at least every 75/13 years. I rounded that to once every 6 years.

In order to reduce my insurance costs, and my insusrance costs a lot, I don't cover for the following:

Missed departure - the conditions imposed are so strict about documented failure of public transport you can never claim. I have only missed one flight in 40 years of regular travel.
Piste closure - likewise. If all the pistes in the resort are closed no amount of payment will compensate. I just accept it and do something else.
Lost luggage
Stolen sports equipment
Travellers cheques - remember them.

I also take big excess.

Nor do I take out extended warranties, pet insurance, loan protection insurance, insurance on my skybox, water leak insurnance etc etc.

However I am actually sad about your injury. They will certainly wait until the swelling has gone down before even contemplating surgery and then wait some more to see how you are coping without a reconstruction. You will be skiing next season
latest report
@johnE, assume nothing. I do have an anual policy. I mentioned it a few posts earlier, in this very thread (and I even broke down the costs).
The annual policy cost a different (higher) amount, not £13. The £13 was an additional cost to my policy, in order to wave the £75 excess.

I purchased it thinking that I'm more likely to claim for lost/damaged luggage, for example, than put in a big claim. (Well, I was wrong about that).
The luggage handlers actually managed to break (!) my heard shell suitcase and dent my Sportube (this trip really didn't go well), so at least I was right about that.

It's so easy to misinterpret the tone of conversation when it's in a written form, so I don't want to jump to any conclusions - but it appears to me that I can descern a smidgen of bitterness in your words - about the extra cover that I took out?
I wonder (if my impression is correct) why that might be?
ski holidays
@snowglider, No bitterness intented. If there is, then that is because I think the insurance companies are ripping you off. £13 to cover a potential £75 loss is an excessive amount of money. It wouldn't occur to me to spend that much on so little cover. For example I have been taking travel insurance out for over 40 years and made one claim. So I would have spent £520 (40*13) extra on cover just to save an excess of £75
snow conditions
Yebbut no doubt reinsuring his excess was a bet well spent this time. wink
ski holidays
Just considering the original thread, I wonder how many suddenly got insured when they saw Robo-Grizzler hobbling around the hotel & bar in full leg braces.
3 lasses on our TO package suddenly 'remembered', that's for sure. Been too busy to sort it out before they came out or on the arrival day, then on morning of day 2 saw me.
Would have been a bit late if they'd been where I was the day before...
snow report
Quote:

3 lasses on our TO package suddenly 'remembered', that's for sure.

Its a lesser known fact that, if you're already in resort you are too late to take out a policy. It's written in most small prints, something like 'policy must be taken out prior to departure'. Its why they ask for your travel docs in the event of a claim. If the travel docs show that you took out the policy after having departed, it probably won't get paid. Some people have their accident and then take out a policy online in an attempt to cover the costs - trouble is that insurers are looking out for it.

I think there might be some insurers that have a tick box to say you've already travelled, and you pay a higher premium and it doesn't kick in for 24 hours but, basically, all those who 'suddenly remember' and go online and take out a policy, are probably wasting their money.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
As I see it you purchased an insurnace policy to cover you for a potential loss of £75. Let us assume that you have an annual policy, after all who doesn't. This policy cost you £13 pa ...

(laughs), well precisely. But as Kahneman and others have noted, people behave strangely in this type of scenario.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@snowglider, For example I have been taking travel insurance out for over 40 years and made one claim. So I would have spent £520 (40*13) extra on cover just to save an excess of £75

JohnE, folowing your (flawed) logic, you have wasted an awful lot of money, by carrying on buying insurance policies year after year, for 40 years, when you have only made the one claim. You could have saved yourself a lot of money, by only taking out a policy the year you claimed!

It's nice of you that you are so concerned about my wallet but, as @Dave of the Marmottes pointed out - I don't feel ripped of in the slightest.
On the contrary - a simple calculation tells a different story from my perspective: I have spent £13 to cover the £75 that I would have lost otherwise.

So: £75 - £13 = £62.

But thanks for trying to portray me as a simpleton.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
johnE wrote:
As I see it you purchased an insurnace policy to cover you for a potential loss of £75. Let us assume that you have an annual policy, after all who doesn't. This policy cost you £13 pa ...

(laughs), well precisely. But as Kahneman and others have noted, people behave strangely in this type of scenario.

Now that's not a nice thing to say, when you don't know anything about me, or what influenced my decision to re-insure my excess
ski holidays
@snowglider, IIRC the insurance policy I am puchasing is for about £1m not £75 and as others including yourself have pointed out it could be for a very large amount of money. My bank balance would stand the loss of £75 but not for thousands. That's why I have insurance.

I am impressed that the only time you chose to insure your excess you needed it.

But you are correct you can give your money to whoever you wish
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy