Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ex-rental board question

Poster: A snowHead
Am thinking of buying an ex-rental 2017 YES OPTIMISTIC which I hired today for 150 CHF (about £120) which I don't think is unreasonable

BUT I've just given the base another quick once over and spotted this

I'm terribly ignorant when it comes to boards having only rented until recently and just trying to work out whether it's something I ought to be concerned about.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 13-04-19 19:52; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm making a pig's ear of trying to post the image so have linked to it instead but unsure whether anyone else will be able to see it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is it a base gauge or discolouration? Looks like latter but Hard to tell from pics.

Base gauge then ptex and go for it. Easy fix and Great board for £120.

Discolouration and there is water ingress somewhere and base might delam. Could be a mess in short space of time or could stay same for ages. Hard to say. Is edge cracked?

I see your dilemma- it’s a top board and I would be tempted but if it’s going cheap it is for a reason.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think it's going cheap because he's rented it out for 11 days (supposedly) and as it's a couple of years old, he's open to getting rid of a few old boards.

It wasn't advertised for sale. I went in making it clear I wanted to test with a view to buying.

Going to have another look at the edge...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Edge doesn't appear to be cracked and if I run my finger nail over the area in question, I can feel a slight ridge.

I did get a lad in another shop to give the board a once over, but I hadn't spotted it by then and so not sure whether he did.

Going to try and upload a picture of the corresponding area on the deck.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
photo of deck now also in my album
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jebroni3_16, which shop?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Backside
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was hoping to test a board in Waverave with a view to buy too, but despite speaking to the owner (in fluent French) as I went in yesterday evening, and having gone downstairs to discuss boards with the young lad as instructed, within 2 minutes he'd left and wasn't there when I popped back in at start or end of today.

But the young lad downstairs was the one who gave the board a quick (envious) once over.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The rail looks ok. Little ding like that shouldn’t be a problem unless cracked.

Forgot we are in 2019 and 2017 is two seasons old. So probably with minor damage and a few weeks rental behind it the price is about right.

Even If base has water ingress or bubbling you should still get decent use out of it but it will deteriorate rapidly in wet snow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'll probably pop back in first thing and get his take on it.

At the moment, if I walk away, it will have cost me 35 CHF rental for the day, about £28, which I reckon is very reasonable, especially when walk-up quoted prices elsewhere were 50CHF or more.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your opinion though @dozofoz Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pas probleme.

Been looking around for one of them myself to add to my quiver.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like a blemish to me.
So Prob worth taking a punt - however....
£120 + 11 days rental, shop must be losing money?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get them to service it and throw in a free days rental for your £120 .
Its not unheard of at all .

The season is at its end... he cant shift it and on top of that the snowboard market is flatlining .

I cant see or tell exactly..... but does that boards steel edge have wavy magnatration ?
It may be the photo but the edge looked wavy .

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 15-04-19 1:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mr.Egg

At what I assume he buys boards in at, I'd be surprised if he is losing money. From his general attitude, I really doubt that to be the case.

I'd love to believe it though!
snow report
@Tirol 164

I think what you're referring to is the board's "underbite" design rather than magne-traction. At least I assume so, according to this article .

At £120 (which would include the day's rental when I tested it), I didn't think it was a bad price.

However, what I was less impressed by was that I went in with the specific intention of trying a freeride board, focused on powder and piste, and said about shorter, wider boards.

Whilst his assistant might have showed me it the previous day, he didn't. He insisted freeride boards should be 160cm minimum (I'm 5ft11 and about 12 stone).

So, he suggested 162cm Jones Explorer which by all reviews seems to be a traditional all-mountain board. Which he still denies.

I asked about removing the cost of that hire from the price of the other board and he said no, so that was an initial 35CHF to test a board that I don't believe matched what I asked for or what he claims.

So, I'm completely in two minds as to whether to just pay the second day's 35CHF and walk away better informed, or the 150 and have the board to show for it.

In light of what you and @dozofoz said though, I think it definitely makes sense to enquire about them doing an end-of-season storage service for free.
snow conditions
Well, I decided to return the board yesterday morning and leave it in the lap of the gods.

Went back this evening to have another look (but really wanting to buy it) to find that it had been sold in the last day and a half.

So either someone more reckless or more informed than me has now got it and I hope for their sake I was worrying unduly.

I did have another picture of the deck which I showed to an instructor today (and have now uploaded to my gallery and the more we looked at it, the more it looks like a break.

Oh well, at least I've found my next favourite obsession: hunting down a YES OPTIMISTIC 151 in very good condition at a very good price Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy