Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My ski boots really stink...

Poster: A snowHead
What do they smell of, is it an old trainers kind of smell? Or mouldy?

I'm not convinced that domestic freezer temperatures do much bacteria killing or get rid of residual smells, am also not convinced you'll get to the bottom of it without removing the liners. I sympathise with this my old boots were horrendous to get liners in and out, not just difficult, properly painful.

The liners need to be out, clean & dry the shells inside and out, clean the liners and your footbeds, you can clean them with sterilising fluid, borax mix, whatever you want. If odours linger some cloves or charcoal or catlitter in one of those metal tea things and let it sit/dangle for a day.

First thing first; clean and dry.

Edit: noticed you now have liners out. Good luck snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@queen bodecia, have you peed down your legs into the boots (hot legged)? My kids used to do this- their boots were minging and only got worse when I dried them in the conservatory when we got home.

Fabreeze works a bit.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ed123, I may be a woman of advancing years but I'm not quite incontinent yet...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@queen bodecia, it was just a thought...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stick a couple of these in, they really work... https://www.bootbananas.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
use Colloidal silver spray then an anti fungal spray in the boots.

Colloidal silver is a scam, and can be dangerous if absorded into the body: https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 20-03-17 1:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@hammerite, love the look of them!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My boots used to knock out a small city after a days skiing and were definitely banned under the Geneva convention.

But I got a set of ultra violet boot dryers for Christmas (not boot warmers) and also use the Scholl shoe spray too. Now we can actually stay in the same room as my boots for longer than a few seconds without turning green! In fact they don't smell any more. High merino content socks are a must too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zoflora worked for me Very Happy

I diluted the concentrate as per directions in luke warm water so as not to affect my moulding, and filled my liners. After leaving overnight, i used the solution to swill out my shells. Left to dry naturally they are still perfect four weeks later.

So happy with the treatment I brought three new bottles back in my hand luggage as my liquid allowance after a trip back to UK.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can buy moisture absorbing sachets for use in small spaces - usually get em in the pound shops - they might help to dry your boots out. Bacteria love nice damp conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bicarbonate of soda loves smelly boots. My work boots get wet and dirty every day. Dry them out, bit of soda bic and a quick shufty with the Henry sucking device in the morning.....No smells. Don't put the soda bic in if they are still moist. Wet and dried soda bic is the second hardest substance known to man (after Weetabix)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queen bodecia, How many bloody times do I have to repeat this rolling eyes

Take yer liners out and wash/soak/dry with any of the above . . . or buy new liners if the boots are worth keeping . . . THEN

learn to take yer liners out every evening and dry them completely AND rub a small amount of Vicks VapoRub all around yer feet especially between yer toes before you put yer socks on in the morning and you will eliminate the problem at source.

It's your body flora/fauna that is the cause, it's your diet, your environment, your body chemistry . . . just like the rest of us.
It doesn't take a lot to break the chain that causes this problem, just a bit of application
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My liners were dry, that's not the problem. After 24 hours outside of the shells they still stink. I have however cleaned the mouldy bits off with a damp sponge so maybe once that dries off they won't smell so bad. Maybe I should wash them properly now they are out of the shells.

Getting them out of the shells is not easy, I had to resort to the broom handle yesterday. I'm hoping that method might help me get them back in when the time comes. It's certainly NOT something I can do every time I use them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@queen bodecia, mouldy bits???
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@matteevan90,

Another vote for T Bags . . .use them religiously for my sons collection of football boots which reek of cat urine . . .sorts out the smell and absorbs damp etc . . .
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
My liners were dry, that's not the problem. After 24 hours outside of the shells they still stink. I have however cleaned the mouldy bits off with a damp sponge so maybe once that dries off they won't smell so bad. Maybe I should wash them properly now they are out of the shells.

They may be dry now, they may have even felt dry when you stuck your hand in at the end of each day. But they probably were not fully dry inside, outside and all the way through. Difficult as it maybe you need to take them out each day. Don't need boot warmers/dryers IMO. Just as long as they are stored at room temp overnight - in my case an apartment.

queen bodecia wrote:
Getting them out of the shells is not easy, I had to resort to the broom handle yesterday. I'm hoping that method might help me get them back in when the time comes. It's certainly NOT something I can do every time I use them.

Some are easier than others for sure. You need to grab the upper part and pulled hard forward and down to pull the heel up and work out. Boots need to be fully unbuckled and pulled apart as much as possible. Reverse the process to get back in.
snow conditions
@queen bodecia, I had the same problem with my ski boots. I got new liners and now have super lightweight ultra violet boot dryers that I use every night and hey Presto no smell.
The ultra violet kills bacteria. And getting new liners meant my boots have a new lease if life.
snow conditions
TBH it sounds to me they are beyond help tbh. This is quite a good article I think:

http://www.smellyfeetcures.com/how-to-de-stink-smelly-shoes/
snow report
Yes I realise there must have been many occasions in the past when I've used them and they've not been dry. Clearly I need to invest in some boot dryers. I remember spending mornings in a hotel room trying to dry them with a hairdryer before going skiing. As I have very little sensation in my feet I can't tell how wet they are when wearing them.

Getting the linings out was a PITA. I ended up levering them out with a broom handle. It's not easy to open them wide enough, this is the same problem I have getting them on and off my feet, it makes me swear regularly. Next time I buy some boots I definitely want some that open more easily. But these boots are only 5 years old, I'm not replacing them yet, they're as comfy as ski boots will ever be and don't cause any damage to my feet.

@speachmaus, I like the sound of your boot dryers, where did you get them?
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, If your linings are dead and need replacing (if only to get rid of the smell Wink ) it's worth knowing that some of the aftermarket liners can be easier to get in/out. For zipfit liners it's easier to put the liner on your foot and then put the boot shell on...
ski holidays
@Tubaski, zipfit liners cost almost as much as new boots. I realise you can buy replacement generic liners for £85, but I'd rather just clean these ones. The only problem with them is the stink, not the wear and tear.
snow report
@queen bodecia, they were from ebay but Amazon have them too
snow report
@queen bodecia, I think you should try washing them in washing machine.
snow conditions
Mould is a health risk, the last thing you want to do is heat it up and spread it all over the place with a warm air dryer. No wonder they stink, the only thing you should warm them up with is a flamethrower.
snow conditions
@queen bodecia, MOULDY BITS !!! WT#0@%!!! Do NOT dry them . . . carefully put them in a bin liner, tape it up and put them to go to incinerator waste . . . as much as I'm loath to burn plastic, this is an exception. That crap can kill you . . . or the rest of us for that matter . . . let alone the fungall infections, internal, external or intimate Shocked
New liners, better practices and use the Vicks.
ski holidays
@Masque, fear not. I have washed them, the mould has gone. They are now drying smelling of nothing more than a slight hint of anti-bacterial detergent.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:

Getting the linings out was a PITA. I ended up levering them out with a broom handle.

@speachmaus, I like the sound of your boot dryers, where did you get them?

If you try and PULL a liner out it is difficult. It is easy if you........ Have the heel next to you. Hold the heel loop or powerstrap, then grab the loop at the back of the liner and simply push forward and away.
snow report
Quote:

f you try and PULL a liner out it is difficult. It is easy if you........ Have the heel next to you. Hold the heel loop or powerstrap, then grab the loop at the back of the liner and simply push forward and away.

this
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW

we bought my daughter some ex-rental boots at HT (I know but we found she'd grown out of her boots and the cost of buying the ones she rented was only 10 euros more than the rental fee, she'll will ski 8 days in them at easter then they won't owe us anything if her feet have grown again by next season)

They stunk though.

We put the liners through the washing machine at 30 degrees (biological detergent) then loaded them with bicarb. Stink free!
ski holidays
I agree, pulling the liner out didn't work. What I struggle most with is getting a good enough grip to push it as described above. It's a two handed job, but I need another hand to hold the outer shell open to allow space for the liner to slide out. The loop thing is at the front and doesn't help. The velcro strap is on the outer shell and doesn't help. Basically, I need three hands.

I managed to prise it out by stuffing a broom handle in the shell behind it and levering it out with one hand on the broom handle and one hand holding the two sides of the shell apart. I'm hoping if I can get the liners back in (when they're fully dry) with the help of the broom handle too. Essential tool.
snow conditions
@queen bodecia, this is the kind of dryers I have
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171995724595
ski holidays
@speachmaus, I wouldn't go too far when using those things. If they're anything like the dodgy bike lights I've had off eBay they may have a habit of catching fire.
ski holidays
Less than a tenner from decathlon, hopefully less likely to burn your apartment down...
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/boot-dryer-id_8375022.html

Though I have a version of these which are much more effective
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/shoe-dryer-therm-ic-id_8330888.html

To get the liners back in you could try putting them on your feet first, freeing your hands to pull the shell open.
snow report
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I've had them for a while and I'm really happy with them. Great for drying walking boots and trainers too. I'm not sure if they are the exact model but same idea. They have the ce Mark on them.
snow report
The ultra violet kills bacteria too
snow report
There are similar ones from China costing less than £10 on eBay but I wouldn't buy them.
snow conditions
speachmaus wrote:
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I've had them for a while and I'm really happy with them. Great for drying walking boots and trainers too. I'm not sure if they are the exact model but same idea. They have the ce Mark on them.

Yeah don't doubt that they do the job, just a bit of a warning. Like I say, I've got lights with CE marking on them that are great, but a few people have suggested that it can be blagged as Chinese Export rather than the real deal. I'm not concerned about using them, just don't like leaving them unattended in case the battery gets too hot and I become like one of those people on the news that burns their house down charging an E-Cig.
snow report
So the update you have all been waiting for...

My boots are now clean, dry, pleasantly fragranced, mould free and more importantly, the linings are back inside the shells!!
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
So the update you have all been waiting for...

My boots are now clean, dry, pleasantly fragranced, mould free and more importantly, the linings are back inside the shells!!

Okay, it is past 12pm. So not an April Fool? Happy
snow conditions
@GlasgowCyclops, nope the real deal.

Getting the linings in with a broom handle actually works.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy