Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 2018 - when to go?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
OK what do folks do for insurance ?

As don't think our CAF insurance will be much good, and we'll need the usual cancellation / health etc as well as off piste etc etc

BMC for me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike Pow, we need more of a tourist type one trip holiday type insurance though - Columbus were doing a 25% off deal but we (I) missed it rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
@Mike Pow, we need more of a tourist type one trip holiday type insurance though - Columbus were doing a 25% off deal but we (I) missed it rolling eyes

BMC covers all that and more in my experience
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mike Pow, our Club Alpin Francais insurance covers us 12 months not just in France doing as many consecutive days in the mountains in all activities - plus there's the actual membership bonuses which I use such as refuge discounts / group ski touring etc plus if I do happen to injure myself hopefully by showing the CAF card I might not have to pay up front etc etc as it's so well known here.

So for Japan I think I need additional risk, such as actual holiday cancellation and all the usual trappings that I don't usually have to worry about - I'll take a look at BMC which we used to have a joint annual and then they started getting silly with excessive additional premiums if you wanted to add on snow boarding etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mike Pow, any advice on the ski bag sizing when travelling to/from JPN. As the skis I am looking at are 188, will be getting also a bag that is 195cm. I expect no issues in Europe and getting to Sapporo (hope they will put a longish ski bag from a bigger plane to a smaller 737 for Tokyo-Sapporo leg). However, on the way back and flying Sapporo-Tokyo, would there be an issue with a bigger ski bag?
I tried to look-up info on JPN carriers websites but nothing definitive. I expect no issues with Lufthansa, Finnair or BA.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So we're all staying in Niseko, presumably most will be on the JAL/BA return leg, leaving from CTS at around 8:00am or so, so no trains, transfer busses or the like will get there in time. Looks like a stay in Sapporo or Chitose the night before the flight. I'm there for three weeks plus so I might ditch the last day of snow and get the earliest bus out of Niseko.

Where to stay, Sapporo or Chitose - I'm leaning towards Chitose, it seems hotels run shuttle services to the airport first thing which would be a really mellow way to start the travel day rather than fight my way through an unknown city to the train station etc. Is there enough to see/do in Chitose or should I go for the big city vibe? Anyone looked into this yet?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mooney058 wrote:
@Mike Pow, any advice on the ski bag sizing when travelling to/from JPN. As the skis I am looking at are 188, will be getting also a bag that is 195cm. I expect no issues in Europe and getting to Sapporo (hope they will put a longish ski bag from a bigger plane to a smaller 737 for Tokyo-Sapporo leg). However, on the way back and flying Sapporo-Tokyo, would there be an issue with a bigger ski bag?
I tried to look-up info on JPN carriers websites but nothing definitive. I expect no issues with Lufthansa, Finnair or BA.

Never had a problem with Japanese connecting flights
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rogg wrote:
So we're all staying in Niseko, presumably most will be on the JAL/BA return leg, leaving from CTS at around 8:00am or so, so no trains, transfer busses or the like will get there in time. Looks like a stay in Sapporo or Chitose the night before the flight. I'm there for three weeks plus so I might ditch the last day of snow and get the earliest bus out of Niseko.

Where to stay, Sapporo or Chitose - I'm leaning towards Chitose, it seems hotels run shuttle services to the airport first thing which would be a really mellow way to start the travel day rather than fight my way through an unknown city to the train station etc. Is there enough to see/do in Chitose or should I go for the big city vibe? Anyone looked into this yet?

Nothing in Chitose
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy