Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All mountain ski

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking at getting an all mountain ski but am unsure on what to get. I want something between 100m-115mm underfoot that will float well in powder as well as smashing through crud and hard pack etc. I was considering the black crows atris another option could be the nordica enforcer 100 or rossignol soul 7. Any other options? I'm an expert skier about 80kg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With flat (ish) tails:
Whitedot R.108 trad or, if you're mounting a touring bindings, the CarbonLite version.
Blizzard Cochise.

Rockered both ends:
Whitedot Director
Scott Scrapper 115
Whitedot Ragarok
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the scott scrapper 115 especially as I can get them for £300 without bindings currently. Are the nordica enforcer 100 a good alternative?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of the scott scrapper 115 especially as I can get them for £300 without bindings currently. Are the nordica enforcer 100 a good alternative?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had the Atris and while they floated well and were an easy fun ski, suitable for many conditions. However, the tips were fairly soft and don't match well with your description of 'smashing through crud'. I suspect that from the Black Crows line, the Corvus might fit your description better, although I haven't skied it myself.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mk28, I'm on a pair of DPS 112 Hybrids bought in the sales at the end of last year and am increasingly using them for everything from messing about with the kids to proper off piste. Worth a look if you can try some.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i will look at the corvus thanks. The 2018 Rossignol Super 7 HDs look a nice ski as well. Think im narrowed down to the Corvus, Scott Scrapper and Super 7 HD.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Definitely try the Nordica enforcers! I've got a pair of the enforcer 93's and love them to bits, was going to go for the enforcers but thought I should get something a little narrower as I'd be on piste most of the time for work (ski host) and could only afford 1 pair at the time.

In the Dolomites at the moment and the skiing here is ambitious at best now, slush and crud is all there is to ski on and they're just perfect, smash through it all without issue. They carve amazingly on hard pack and perform very well in powder too (I'm pretty inexperienced off piste but these have really been a great pair of skis to help me learn the skills).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends. I have both the Atris and the R.108.

The Atris is very, very good on hardpack for a wider ski mainly as it is stiff under foot. It skis powder well and is ok in crud, softer tips notwithstanding. It has a sharper turning radius than many other options at the 108 mark but is very stable in spite of this. It also pivots well and is good in tight spots. While I haven't skied it, I understand it to be more ski than the Soul 7 and would probably boot that off the list if you are not considering the Atris. On the minus side of things, the Atris is prone to topsheet chipping. That's a minor point but it's there all the same.

The R.108 is a different animal with a much longer turn radius. The ski is very stable and likes to truck. It will go where it is pointed until it is told to do something else. I have yet to find anything approaching a speed limit. Unlike the Atris, which likes to be driven laterally, the R.108 is much more of a "drive the tips" type ski - note also the flat tail.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a pair of 180 soul sevens and have never had a better powder ski. Their performance in crud and on hard pack a OK. I am 90 kg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quile understanding it's not necessarily easy to do, I really wouldn't buy a ski I hadn't tried... (usually, a few notable exceptions, etc. ...)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, why do you want a "powder" ski?

I live in the Alps, well more or less, but do a day job and my word, a powder ski is the last thing I want...

If I lived in Manchester...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, perhaps not, but if you lived in Swansea?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
Also, why do you want a "powder" ski?

I live in the Alps, well more or less, but do a day job and my word, a powder ski is the last thing I want...

If I lived in Manchester...

TBF you'd probably still be using FIS GS skis even if you lived in Hokkaido though wink

Of the skis on the list the Nordica Enforcer 100 and 110 are bloody brilliant, but at the smash and dash end of the spectrum rather than surfy powder ride (Enforcer 115 Pro even more so). Soul7 is lots of fun but definitely not a crud charger.

Blizzard Rustler 10 and 11 for next season would probably both fit the bill, but do require driving. Head Kore 105 too - brilliant ski and sits about halfway between the Enforcer and Soul7 in character/playfulness.

Sam Anthamatten's new pro model with Faction, the Prime, is mindblowingly good in both the 3.0 and 4.0 (108mm and 118mm IIRC) offpiste, but it's really not built to carve pistes (skis them perfectly well, just not carving). All the best traits of the old 4FRNT EHP but more versatile, a lot lighter, and a lot more expensive...

Another option would be the Down CD104 or CD114: http://www.downskis.com/shop/countdown-104-187-2016

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 28-03-17 12:20; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mk28 wrote:
I'm looking at getting an all mountain ski but am unsure on what to get. I want something between 100m-115mm underfoot that will float well in powder as well as smashing through crud and hard pack etc. I was considering the black crows atris another option could be the nordica enforcer 100 or rossignol soul 7. Any other options? I'm an expert skier about 80kg

I have the original Soul 7s. I love them, but I'll not be busting any crud on them, they're too soft. They're great fun all over the mountain, very playful, but if you are a charger, these are not the skis for you.
snow report
I have the Rossignol Super 7 and the Blizzard Bonafide. Only skied the Rossis on a snowy week in Val d'isere and they were great on and off piste. Loved them. Easier to ski than the Bonafides which I am very fond of too. Bonafides will smash through the crud no worries. Taking both hopefully to Chamonix next week for a last off-piste week s will hopefully be able to compare.
ski holidays
thanks for the replies. i wanted something around 110 underfoot as i already have some black crows captis which are 90. They are great for variable conditions but not so great in the deeper stuff. they are also only 178 and i want something a little longer. the enforcer 110 sound just what im looking for. might have to wait for them to go on sale.
latest report
Quote:

TBF you'd probably still be using FIS GS skis even if you lived in Hokkaido though

@clarky999, why wouldn't I?
snow conditions
[quote="clarky999"]
under a new name wrote:

Of the skis on the list the Nordica Enforcer 100 and 110 are bloody brilliant, but at the smash and dash end of the spectrum rather than surfy powder ride (Enforcer 115 Pro even more so). Soul7 is lots of fun but definitely not a crud charger.

Blizzard Rustler 10 and 11 for next season would probably both fit the bill, but do require driving. Head Kore 105 too - brilliant ski and sits about halfway between the Enforcer and Soul7 in character/playfulness.

Both Enforcer models would be really good options. I have not been on the Rustler 10 but posted a write up on the Rustler 11. That ski for me was a cut above the Enforcer 110. Both are really good, but I just felt the Rustler 11 was just that much better than the Enforcer 110. One other ski that took me by surprise was the Dynastar X106. Kind of a stiffer version of the Soul 7 HD.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131436
ski holidays
Quote:

under a new name wrote:

Puzzled Puzzled no I didn't.
snow report
thanks @toadman i hadnt heard of the Rustler. Thanks for the info and great write up.
ski holidays
Toadman wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Both Enforcer models would be really good options. I have not been on the Rustler 10 but posted a write up on the Rustler 11. That ski for me was a cut above the Enforcer 110. Both are really good, but I just felt the Rustler 11 was just that much better than the Enforcer 110. One other ski that took me by surprise was the Dynastar X106. Kind of a stiffer version of the Soul 7 HD.

That's interesting! I skied the Rustlers and Enforcers back to back (also back to back with a bunch of other skis) at the UK ski test in Kühtai a few weeks back, and while I liked both a lot, personally preferred the Enforcer. Just felt a little more composed to me, and being just as damp (if not more) while being a touch softer I found it easier going in poor visibility and variable snow without sacrificing any higher speed performance. Rustler(s) were certainly lots of fun and more energetic, but I thought a smaller sweet spot (tail is stiff and will kick you back bottom if you get backseat) - great with fresh legs and good vis, but I was more comfortable going faster on the Enforcer when conditions were less ideal - it's just so silky smooth!

Yes agree with you re. the Dynastar - another great ski and definitely deserved the old Legend badge.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Toadman wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

That's interesting! I skied the Rustlers and Enforcers back to back (also back to back with a bunch of other skis) at the UK ski test in Kühtai a few weeks back, and while I liked both a lot, personally preferred the Enforcer. Just felt a little more composed to me, and being just as damp (if not more) while being a touch softer I found it easier going in poor visibility and variable snow without sacrificing any higher speed performance. Rustler(s) were certainly lots of fun and more energetic, but I thought a smaller sweet spot (tail is stiff and will kick you back bottom if you get backseat) - great with fresh legs and good vis, but I was more comfortable going faster on the Enforcer when conditions were less ideal - it's just so silky smooth!

Yes agree with you re. the Dynastar - another great ski and definitely deserved the old Legend badge.

What size skis were you on? I never came close to getting pushed into the backseat on the 180cm. I would have preferred to be on the 188's but beggers can't be choosers! So the 180's are a short ski for me. I much prefer a 185-187 length. The Enforcer 110 felt a bit hooky in the tip, and didn't feel as lively, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I felt the same on the Rustler as you did with the Enforcer. Just charged through the medium density crud. Both are stable platforms though.
latest report
@Toadman, like you the 180, and also think I would have preferred the longer (and was on the longer Enforcers). I don't think anyone in the market for that sort of ski would go too far wrong on either though tbh!
latest report
@clarky999,

Yep agree. The 185cm Enforcer is a perfect length. Easy to ski in soft moguls, and fun in the powder.
latest report
does anyone know when the 2017/18 skis are released? specifically the rustler and enforcer 110?
ski holidays
PS I've never met an expert skier who described themselves as an "expert" ...

True.

"Strong" perhaps, "technical" if feeling particularly bullish.
snow conditions
I've never met an expert skier.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Toadman, I have been pursued* down a Chamonix piste by Glen and Kim Plake. I am going to suggest that he at least is reasonably expert.

I know a few top level trainers and ski school directors. Oh, and a couple of Olympians.

I suspect they fit the definition.

*They may not have been aware they were pursuing me.
snow conditions
Expert on a scale of beginner-intermediate-expert as most ski shops seem to use that scale. Happier with advanced?
snow conditions
@mk28, yup snowHead
ski holidays
Experts don't need ski shops they've usually got pro models or a line to the raceroom.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've never met an expert skier.

oh that is ballcocks! That is just competitive understatement that redefines the word "expert" to mean something else entirely like "world-class". Top level instructors are experts according to any sensible definition. It is the sort of thing people say when they are pretending to be modest but are just being cunning about their self-aggrandisement Very Happy

But more practically:

A mate of mine is a very competent, experienced, technical skier but not that bothered about gear (unlike sadsacks like me). His (generally commendable) tendency to be understated about his ability means that he has frequently been offered poor advice in ski shops and given him (for example) skis that are too short and soft. The last three pairs of skis he has bought he has ended up saying "I really should have gone a size up".

Obviously ski shops are used to applying a "punter discount" to people's assessment of their level.

I've found the same thing when booking the occasional private lesson - I've taken to being VERY specific about exactly what things I want to work on in order that I get an instructor who is interested and has enough faculty in English to get into the subtleties. Have to say I still don't have the brass to call my self an expert at a ski school desk though!
snow conditions
Quote:

Experts don't need ski shops they've usually got pro models or a line to the raceroom.

That is true but if you go into snow and rock (just for example) and describe yourself as "advanced" you will be put on something very uninspiring!
ski holidays
e.g.
when I bought my stockli stormriders, snow and rock stocked them and their decription made it sound like unless you were some true expert you shouldn't consider going near them!
ski holidays
There are only a few commercially available skis that I've ever heard credible chat from very good skiers that they were genuine "expert only" skis - Stockli DP Pro, Icelantic Seeker and maybe the original Ragnarok. I even had a chat with the Icelantic guys about the Seeker and they admitted that very few of them could manage it with any grace.
snow report
Quote:

Obviously ski shops are used to applying a "punter discount" to people's assessment of their level.

I was talking to bro-in-law and a colleague who work/run a high level shop in Chamonix. Now, the shop team are particularly good and careful - and not every shop will do anything but apply a blanket ability discount - but we were discussing how they fairly carefully observe skiers behaviours (e.g. how they put on their boots) and actively modify the rental kit proposed based on that.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 31-03-17 12:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

they fairly carefully observe skiers behaviours (e.g. how they put on their boots) and actively modify the rental kit proposed based on that.

I'm sure you can do that. I find I can predict a lot about how people will ski by how they walk to the bubble in their ski boots. Decent skiers will almost always look well balanced, nimble and even quite graceful WALKING in ski boots.
snow report
Quote:

There are only a few commercially available skis that I've ever heard credible chat from very good skiers that they were genuine "expert only" skis - Stockli DP Pro, Icelantic Seeker and maybe the original Ragnarok. I

True - although I suspect true FIS gs race skis from a variety of brands might also fit the description? I can't comment from personal experience. I just think very stiff skis with 35-40m radius probably need pretty expert skills to enjoy in traffic. Although I do remember UANN saying that DP Pros were more tricky than his super G skis...

But that isn't my point. Other skis designed for "true" advanced skiers are marketed as "expert skis". So to some extent you need to speak the same language as the industry.
ski holidays
@jedster, for sure, how they walk, how they carry their skis, how they do up their boots, etc. all super indicative. Much more so than the equipment itself.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy