Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The perils of 4x4 driving in the mountains

Poster: A snowHead
I was out on the MTB yesterday and the route I was doing had me cycling up the Col de Granon road and then descending off that down a little used trail.

As I was coming down quite a gnarly trail I was stunned to see this!

Feckin bonkers - there's no way I'd ever contemplate driving up or down what I was cycling on and looks like he bit off more than he could chew, just hope he was able to jump clear as the cab looked really smashed up and I would not like to rate anyone's chances in that!

Here's the Relive video (sort of Google earth) of the route with more pics and you can see exactly where it was and the reason why it's still there as it's really inaccessible.

https://www.relive.cc/view/944700786
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
But he's got knobbly tyres on and everything.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should have engaged diff lock.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, ...having used a Suzuki sj410 (this model here) and the successor jimny all over the valais Alps I can confirm that the sj410 is notorious for falling over sideways - real lack of sideways stability - Jimny much better but still scary - can climb like goats - excellent low ratio box - but often feint and flop sideways....

They are tough as old boots but god you have to be careful re lateral stability

Hope this guy was ok ... not much room in the footwell for hiding in a rollover - but 'being thrown clear' not very realistic. From the damage just looks like one or two slow rolls - if no belt then enough room on the passenger side to hide while rolling...

Long walk out...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Reminds me of a local who lost his car on a hairpin bend on the way down from Montalbert, he and the car ended up about 20ft up a tree, he climbed down with just a few cuts and bruises and walked the rest of the way home.
When we asked about the car there was a Gallic shrug and the response that the big recovery truck comes this way on a Tuesday Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@valais2, it's a Defender.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+ 1 for Defender Puzzled Crying or Very sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like he fitted red polybushes to the defender as well.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Norrin Radd, blimey you're right - expanding the photo the LR tdi logo is clear enough - apologies - grief you need to be a right twerp to tip a Defender.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@valais2, yes if you look at the video on the link https://www.relive.cc/view/944700786 you'll see that I say it's a trashed Land Rover and there are a couple more photos in the vid.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, the instability of the sj410 - even in modified form

http://youtube.com/v/FLo2f8tHerE

The instability of the Defender...

http://youtube.com/v/IGgyWoE0FR4
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Should have used a proper Japanese 4wd Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wash your mouth out. Mad

Razz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11, +10 Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank goodness it's a Defender... It means it'll buff out nicely Very Happy
latest report
Exactly, nothing a little T-Cut couldn't sort out. Smile
snow report
Chassis looks in good condition.
snow report
A few years ago, there was an exchange scheme between a Land Rover mechanic from Longbridge, and his counterpart in the Land Cruiser factory in Japan. At the end of the day in the Toyota plant, the mechanic ensured all the windows were shut, then put a cat in the LC and locked the door. He explained to the Brit that this was a test of the tolerances of the seals - if he came back in the morning and the cat had died of suffocation, he would know the seals were tight enough. The LR man thought this was a great idea, went back to Longbridge, put a cat in the Defender, closing all the doors and windows tightly, just as the Toyota man had done. He came back in the morning, eager to see if the tolerances would match Toyota's. The doors and windows were still shut, but to his surprise, although not to the surprise of anyone who's owned a Defender, the cat had escaped.
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
Chassis looks in good condition.

But the 30mm (M20 2.5) nut on the chassis-end of the front radius arm looks a little rusty.
He could do with DA2353 and he'll be fine.
Smile
snow conditions
@WindOfChange, clearly right.

Tools needed for complete refurbishment:

Half inch spanner
Lump hammer

Some people to turn it over.

A few spares - probably just new glass.
latest report
@Chamcham, obviously they had a Japanese NSPCA-equivalent observer....no cats were harmed during the death of the cat ....
ski holidays
Chamcham wrote:
A few years ago, there was an exchange scheme between a Land Rover mechanic from Longbridge, and his counterpart in the Land Cruiser factory in Japan. At the end of the day in the Toyota plant, the mechanic ensured all the windows were shut, then put a cat in the LC and locked the door. He explained to the Brit that this was a test of the tolerances of the seals - if he came back in the morning and the cat had died of suffocation, he would know the seals were tight enough. The LR man thought this was a great idea, went back to Longbridge, put a cat in the Defender, closing all the doors and windows tightly, just as the Toyota man had done. He came back in the morning, eager to see if the tolerances would match Toyota's. The doors and windows were still shut, but to his surprise, although not to the surprise of anyone who's owned a Defender, the cat had escaped.

Yes, that was the decatted model.
ski holidays
@Orange200, Cat A, B or C alarm?
snow report
Schrödinger’s ?
snow report
No, if it was Schroedinger's it would have escaped AND still be inside the car.
latest report
@Orange200, But how would you know? rolling eyes
latest report
@mcspreader, you wouldn't - that'd collapse the probability function. Now Pavlovs cat; thats easy - it'd be next door getting fed without any damn fool bells going off.
latest report
mcspreader wrote:
@Orange200, But how would you know? rolling eyes

Because the little sod would be shredding the back of the front seat AND putting muddy paw prints across the bonnet AT THE SAME TIME.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Found this today on the descent from Les Ayes to Melezin, wasn't there 2 days ago....
2 coppers were there, one looked at the road surface and said "Looking at the skid marks, he lost control"
Really???????????

latest report
The car in front no more me thinks.
ski holidays
What skid mark?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy