Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Large quiet resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@Mollerski, yes. You can avoid the Sella Ronda if you want to, head up the valley to Ortisei and Seiser Alm instead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JohnHSmith,

You've got it, or just use the SR as means of getting to the quiet areas. Seceda, La Villa, Alpe Di Suisi and on.... Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 19-03-17 12:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for all the ideas and advice- lots of food for thought here.
To answer your questions Layne -
I'm a piste skier - carving miles of empty piste is what it's all about for me.
Trips booked throughout the season, whenever I can escape for a week or long weekend. France in February will be avoided from now on.
I try to ski with a view to avoiding crowds but "expeditions" across the mountains often mean essential lifts/pistes
I'm not considered kamikaze Wink I'm reasonably competent .but any advice re avoiding further mishaps would be very gratefully received!

I'm humbly going to take on the advice of avoiding the last run/s down - which was indeed the timing of my first accident. I'd managed to put that in the Just One of Those Things basket - but the second has demanded a rethink rolling eyes
The second accident was morning time on a main run - icy and incredibly crowded with loads of people over. The person who piled into me was off her feet and someone had crashed into her. Looking down the piste I'd have avoided it if I'd had any choice.
I've only ever skied Europe so I'll move further afield next time I think. I'd forgotten the Dolomites though - haven't been there for a few years
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tatman's Tours wrote:
I've even known 93 at Leogang to be quiet but struggle to explain why.

LOL, we skied 92 twice and both times considered carrying on to 93 or getting the lift back up for beer and chicken. Food one both times!

Has to be said, fortunately there weren't too many out of control skiers there last week but I always like to glance up when I'm pottering along to be on the safe side.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dogwatch wrote:
thelem wrote:
In any resort there are huge variances from one piste to the next. In general, the harder a piste is to get to and the worse the lifts are the quieter the piste will be. The main runs in to resort can get particularly busy, especially at the end of the day. For example in Espace Killy there will be loads of people on the runs off the top of the big Olympique gondola, but if you go to the edges of the map (Val glacier, La Fornet and Aguile Pierce area) you can do a whole run without seeing another group. As others have said time of year plays a big part too.

Hmmmm. I go at off peak times and the areas you mention are my favourites but in decent weather I've never known it so quiet you aren't seeing other groups.

I didn't say that you'd never see other groups, I said that you could do a run without seeing another group, and maybe I should have said passing / being passed by. I've typically gone to espace Killy in the week after new year (e.g. 3rd to 10th Jan). When I wasn't a confident skier I remember ending up on my own on piste L and wondering how long I'd be on my own if I had an accident. More recently I've certainly done whole runs on the glacier without passing other people except around the lifts. Similarly the Sache run in Tignes is quiet, although the short blue you need to take at the top to get to it can be busy. Even somewhere like the Tignes glacier can be quiet if you're willing to wait for the bulk of the cable car load to leave before you set off.

This year I was in Mount Snow for President's Day. It was as busy as I've ever seen a ski resport, with a 20-30 minute queue for their main chair lifts, but there were still spots on the other side of the mountain where you might find yourself alone (briefly).

My point was that picking the run can be just as important as picking the dates or resort.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd certainly recommend Canada if quiet pistes are what you want. In places like Fernie and Silver Star mid week we would often be the only people on a piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I will add Sun Peaks the the Canada list it can be quiet midweek its not that busy at weekends.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't write off Spain, Formigal is a reasonable size resort and as the Spanish generally regard skiing as a weekend thing then the resorts are very quiet Monday to Friday (IME) lunchtime when it would probably be a good idea to visit a castle as when they arrive they ski like they drive! A lot cheaper than the US. You could get a hire car and stop in Jaca or somewhere similar and do a different resort every day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could try Les Sybelles which I really enjoyed. But for the last four years I've skied the 3V at Christmas/NY, Mayrhofen/Zillertal in January, the PDS in March and Espace Killy in April and never had a problem with crowds.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy