Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm skiers demand snowmaking, with doom predictions rife. Cairngorm fights back

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Winterhighland forum in Scotland has been buzzing this week with gloom and doom rumours about Cairngorm's future. The popular ski area is barely functioning at present, with one lift running on the upper slopes.

Interestingly, the forum's moderator Alan set off the cackle, with some rather second-hand unattributed stuff about Cairngorm heading for a closure of its snowsports. His thread is headed "ENDGAME", and raises the snowmaking issue.

A chain of chatter eventually prompted Cairngorm's chief executive Bob Kinnaird to do his best to quash the more negative stuff:
Quote:
All our strategic thinking is based on providing skiing whilst the climate allows us to do so. There's only one thing that will stop us skiing that is the climate. These days our business planning is based on fairly low numbers of skier days- this means that we can survive poor winters to take advanatge of better seasons, which I am sure we will get , even in a climate change scenario. Climate change is impacting on some areas of the world more than others, there is no doubt it is effecting Scotland.

We made a profit last year despite one of the worst winters on record( only 55,000 skier days). We could still do the same this year , but we need snow for half term- it is forecast! I think the least number of skiers days we have ever experinced in 40 years is 45,000 and then the season did not start until 17th feb!

The company is already a non profit distributing organisation and A social enterprise- in other words any income is ploughed back in.

WE continue to invest in skiing- for example our new tows at the top....delayed but still in the pipe line).

The full Winterhighland thread starts here. Bob Kinnaird's response is on page 3.

Should Cairngorm - now under more scrutiny than ever, in its new National Park - have a snowmaking system?
Bob Kinnaird avoided that thorny issue!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
its all so sad. i learnt to ski in cairngorm from '74 to '81 initially with my parents and then camping, under canvass above the snowline. we used to love it, despite the sometimes extreme discomfort. global warming wasn't in the vocabulary in those days, despite the hit and miss conditions. it's such a shame the scottish ski scene seems to be grinding to a halt.
learn to ski in scotland and then the alps or pyraneese (oops sp?) seem like paradise. alpine pisteurs say "don't ski that piste, it's too icy" .......they haven't skied scotland in its glory...dangerous?.. theyr'e 'avin a laugh..oh well.....and try explain? don't bother, if you haven't been there....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes I agree, it really is depressing. Crying or Very sad

Skiing in the Alps is fantastic, but I expect it to be good because I pay lots for it and its a hassle getting there.

Skiing in your own country just adds a whole new dimension. It ceratinly seems as those the days when it was possible to rack up three or four additional weeks worth of weekend skiing, are now in the past. Sad

Problem is UK skiing is so ingrained in me. I carn't quite let go and haven't yet found any other sport that offers as much pleasure.

Hope we get something before May.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy