Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fatal accident at Les Deux Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
Fatal accident at Les Deux Alpes. Very sad.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4308786/Brit-skier-intensive-care-crashing-Italian.html?ito=email_share_article-top
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Highly likely that one or more of the victims was behaving in an inappropriate manner - no need for life threatening speeds on a blue run. From my highly unscientific observations on moderate pistes I estimate about 1 in 10 of people skiing at my somewhat arbitrary measure of high speed are really capable skiers applying proper steering to their skis the rest seem skilled at high speed balancing on their heels or weird bending over or worse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
He could end up on Manslaughter charges & jail.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sympathy to the poor guy who died. What happened will be clearly be reported as the investigation progresses.

One or both must have been travelling at excessive speed for such a tragic outcome.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never happy to read anything like that; irrespective of what really happened, not a nice situation to be in for anyone involved, nor nearest & dearests.
Sad also that at several times in the article there is an overt reference to one party not wearing a helmet and the other wearing one; which may or may not be relevant either to outcome or causality, but certainly seems over-emphasised (as seems so usual in the media, and please let's not start the debate again!)
But to quote at least one more relevant and true statement from said article: "Packed slopes, faster speeds and poor skiing etiquette often lead to accidents on ski slopes..." IMHO, it's often the very first one which is the real issue, leading to problems with the second and third when they all too frequently occur (and add in lack of appropriate ability and/or equipment for the conditions/slope).

emwmarine wrote:
One or both must have been travelling at excessive speed for such a tragic outcome.

Not necessarily. Given the helmet reference, for instance, it is possible for a low-speed impact to have a devastating injury outcome (e.g. hitting on solid ice), traumatic brain bleed etc. Purely a guess or example, but it's the same on motorcycle, horse riding, cycling and many other things. Speed alone is not always the demon that it's made out to be; force of impact and/or direction or type of force or impact can be. Wasn't Schumacher (sp?) meant only to have been travelling reasonably slowly, but probably impacted a rock? (Could be wrong here, never followed that one through.)

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 13-03-17 19:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sympathy to the poor guy who died. What happened will be clearly be reported as the investigation progresses.

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Certainly a very packed resort. Known for the limited amount of skiing for such a high profile resort. I've heard it called one and a half Alps.
I wonder how many skiers there are per acre at peak times at some European resorts?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice/collision-mortelle-entre-deux-skieurs-aux-deux-alpes-1120571.html

Had a bit of first hand from a pisteur friend. After the crash they ended up 25m apart. It was just below Toura and the Panobar which is similar to Folie Douce. Normally a quiet run @cameronphillips2000, is talking bollox. RIP the deceased.

As an aside achilles was taken out from behind in the same place earlier yesterday when the run was almost empty.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 13-03-17 21:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Claude B wrote:
As an aside achilles was taken out from behind in the same place earlier yesterday when the run was almost empty.
Sorry to hear that, hope he's OK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rob@rar, yes some germans who stopped, helped him up and were very apologetic. I was about 50m down the piste.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Claude B, wonder if it was at the intersection of runs just below pano bar? IIRC there are a few runs which all converge into one...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dobby, more or less yes. At Panobar closing time too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Claude B wrote:
@rob@rar, yes some germans who stopped, helped him up and were very apologetic. I was about 50m down the piste.
Glad it wasn't worse.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
Claude B wrote:
Glad it wasn't worse.

+1
snow report
Mmmm 5pm

Sad Sad
snow report
I'm OK, thanks for the comern. Spyderjon gave me very strong advice that he should adjust my bindings downwards. Glad I took it, my skis released cleanly. I was surprised to be taken out; I had ben concentrating on a regular rhythm - and no traverses. I don't think the other guy was a speed freak, but he did make an error of judgement.

There have been some skiers skiing fast with little evidence of control. In contrast it has been interesting to watch Claude B who is certainly quick, but has a knack of not appearing to be so. Very much in control. Gets through traffic without fuss or intimidation. It can be done.
latest report
Claude B
achilles wrote:
...... In contrast it has been interesting to watch Claude B who is certainly quick, but has a knack of not appearing to be so. Very much in control. Gets through traffic without fuss or intimidation. It can be done.

Some nice compliments for you there Claude B Smile
snow report
@skitow, Yes 😇

A pisteur friend was involved in tending to both. I haven't spoken to him but hé was with someone I skied with yesterday later that evening. Sounds as if it was a huge impact. I did see him walking home, he lives in the same building as me, he'd obviously had a few to help forget a difficult day 😖

I have my own theories but; it was fairly busy Sunday, sunny afternoon, at 5 Panobar finishes and the accident was on a piste below it, there are 3 or 4 pistes converging at that point.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 14-03-17 8:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
They're appealing for witnesses to a serious accident in Serre Che on Sunday. Skier hit a boarder. Sad
latest report
Grizzler wrote:

emwmarine wrote:

Not necessarily. Given the helmet reference, for instance, it is possible for a low-speed impact to have a devastating injury outcome (e.g. hitting on solid ice), traumatic brain bleed etc. Purely a guess or example, but it's the same on motorcycle, horse riding, cycling and many other things. Speed alone is not always the demon that it's made out to be; force of impact and/or direction or type of force or impact can be. Wasn't Schumacher (sp?) meant only to have been travelling reasonably slowly, but probably impacted a rock? (Could be wrong here, never followed that one through.)

Although you can have a severe injury from a low speed impact , the fact that two people were seriously injured one dead and one has multiple severe injuries means that it is highly unlikely to be low speed.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:
http://www.bfmtv.com/police-justice/collision-mortelle-entre-deux-skieurs-aux-deux-alpes-1120571.html

As an aside? Bloody hell - how tough are you?!! Hope it mends soon and well. Smile
latest report
@bambionskiis, achilles is a person Laughing
latest report
Energy=1/2 mv^2. Velocity (more accurately speed in most cases) is the big player in collisions. 100kg skier all kitted out and doing 60 km/hr is delivering 14500 joules ish. One joule is what an apple falling off a table feels like when it lands on your toe. The former is a real bump.
ski holidays
Claude B wrote:

Had a bit of first hand from a pisteur friend. After the crash they ended up 25m apart. It was just below Toura and the Panobar which is similar to Folie Douce. Normally a quiet run @cameronphillips2000, is talking bollox. RIP the deceased.

Hardly bollox. Many reviews cite the surprisingly limited amount of piste skiing available at Les Deux Alpes.
I'm not saying this contributed to the accident in any way whatsoever. Others have commented on how crowded pistes are a cause of accidents, even yourself when talk about Sunday afternoon being busy and it being an area where pistes converge.
I think it might be useful for there to be an analysis of ski resorts, skiers per Square metre at peak times and long term accident rates. There may be a link, there may not.

It is a tragic accident and my thoughts are with those involved.
snow report
Charliegolf wrote:
Energy=1/2 mv^2. Velocity (more accurately speed in most cases) is the big player in collisions. 100kg skier all kitted out and doing 60 km/hr is delivering 14500 joules ish. One joule is what an apple falling off a table feels like when it lands on your toe. The former is a real bump.

Indeed - I pointed this out to a teenage girl the other week who plopped onto the piste in front of me and traversed straight across (having lacked the skills to ski the welll packed immediate of piste. Dad was obviously about to go postal on me for daring to challenge his child but then recognised that she was probably getting a useful lesson that might have more sticking power coming from a scary random stranger.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Although you can have a severe injury from a low speed impact , the fact that two people were seriously injured one dead and one has multiple severe injuries means that it is highly unlikely to be low speed.

Fair point, fully accepted.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, have you ever been here or are you an internet observer? I maintain bollox 😃 After 3 full seasons and numerous weeks before that I do know the place pretty well. I actually said fairly busy!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, please can you have a word with my younger daughter? She doesn't listen to me rolling eyes @cameronphillips2000, I've skied L2A a couple of times and wouldn't say that it was very packed - certainly no worse than other resorts I have been to. Yes, L2A overstates the mileage on piste length and there are some bottlenecks/busy pistes, but the bottlenecks and busyness are no worse than in other places. I've seen far more packed pistes in La Thuile, Are, Hemsedal and Risoul, for example.
ski holidays
These accidents can happen anytime and anywhere. Last week I was doing an off-piste course in 3v. Having just skied down off-piste under the pylons next to Combe de Pylons (black), our group decided to ski down into 1850 for a coffee. On a very quiet and uncrowded run down Verdons (green), one of our number collided with another skier. Our man was knocked unconscious, sustaining broken bones in face and ribs. The other skier was more seriously hurt but the exact injuries are conjecture. This was on a green run FFS! It's massive, wide, straight, gentle grade and it was almost deserted, but still the two managed to collide. All it takes is two skiers doing wide turns 180 degrees out of phase with each other and sooner or later they come together as one traverses left and the other to the right. I suspect that target fixation plays a part. Our skier was late middle age and not reckless. The other was a father out skiing with his young son, so unlikely to be speeding either...
snow report
Claude B wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, have you ever been here or are you an internet observer? I maintain bollox 😃 After 3 full seasons and numerous weeks before that I do know the place pretty well. I actually said fairly busy!

Yes, I have been there, though many years ago. It was at New Year so busy - though no busier than other French ski resorts I've skied at NEw Year such as La Plagne.

It is a resort which features a lot in this thread - I can see why. I thought it was long and drawn out with not too much piste skiing compared to other high profile French resorts.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54892

I'd be interested to see collision stats and how busy the slopes are in major resorts. As I've got older, I've slowed down as a skier and ski more carefully. Some resorts have lots of younger, faster skiers as they have better parks, nightlife and and genrally younger culture. I'm not sure if these resorts have more accidents.
snow report
kditrj2d wrote:
All it takes is two skiers doing wide turns 180 degrees out of phase with each other and sooner or later they come together as one traverses left and the other to the right. I suspect that target fixation plays a part. Our skier was late middle age and not reckless. The other was a father out skiing with his young son, so unlikely to be speeding either...

I don't believe it is all it takes - when you are on slope with other skiers you need to have your head on a swivel. If you aren't aware of other skiers in the same space you aren't paying enough attention (perhaps because you've been somewhere tough and are now on a green run).

There are genuine examples of Sh*t happens e.g. both skiers skiing diagonal intersecting lines in the trees who ski round a tree into each other having been unsighted previously but I firmly believe that the very very great majority of collisions are avoidable by both parties paying attention and skiing in control.

Having said that the most dangerous behaviour I often see is gangs of mates/family skiing close to each other.
snow report
I find piste skiing really really scary, in Europe there are so many people skiing way too fast on blues and reds, they may think they can stop but if the unexpected happens they may not be able to and on blues and reds there are always lots of skiers who are improving their skills but can be unpredictable in that their skill is not as good as they may wish and sudden inadvertent changes of direction are not unusual. In Canada there are lots of places where there are "piste police" to slow down the speed merchants approaching areas where there may be slower and less experienced skiers and also at conjunctions between two or more pistes.

This was a tragedy which shouldnt have happened with that distance between the fallen skiers it is likely that one or both were simply way too fast for the area on which they were skiing. So very very sad, hope the injured skiier recovers and RIP to the deceased.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, spot on re skiing too close together. Can you please tell my daughter that? rolling eyes
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, I'll agree that L2A is a marmite resort...probably, THE marmite resort.
snow conditions
FFIRMIN wrote:
I find piste skiing really really scary, in Europe there are so many people skiing way too fast on blues and reds, they may think they can stop but if the unexpected happens they may not be able to and on blues and reds there are always lots of skiers who are improving their skills but can be unpredictable in that their skill is not as good as they may wish and sudden inadvertent changes of direction are not unusual. In Canada there are lots of places where there are "piste police" to slow down the speed merchants approaching areas where there may be slower and less experienced skiers and also at conjunctions between two or more pistes.

This was a tragedy which shouldnt have happened with that distance between the fallen skiers it is likely that one or both were simply way too fast for the area on which they were skiing. So very very sad, hope the injured skiier recovers and RIP to the deceased.

North America certainly pays far more attention to policing the slopes.
snow conditions
RIP...and best luck to the injured skier.

I got a good idea from a friend, and I try to use it: ski as if everyone in front of you is a potential suicide candidate thinking of throwing himself / herself in front of you. If you can still avoid them, you're skiing in control.

But even then you can have surprises. In Solden, a couple of weeks ago, I had at least 200-300 m of empty red piste ahead of me and I decided to go for some high-speed carving. On my fourth or fifth turn (still no one ahead for a long part of the run) a young chap passed about four inches in front of my skis, straight downhill, at breakneck speed. He wasn't a great skier, either. A third of a second later and we may well have both ended up in hospital.

I caught up and gave him a bollocking (in English) while he was trying to explain to me in German that I was taking up too much of the piste by doing my carved turns...I wish my German had been better so I could explain the FIS rules to him. I hope he was suitably impressed by my rage (held it back though, he wasn't that much older than my son...although if my son ever did that I'd want him to get a verbal bollocking, too).
latest report
Sorry to hear this- had a scary collision myself in les arcs last week and piste was not that crowded, coming to mid section of transarc - was the downhill skier and not making wide turns or anything when was hit very hard by a bloke going very fast (Esp for a blue) swollen ankle, cracked ribs and a broken helmet, all in all I consider myself lucky.
snow report
A shocking but not surprising near-collision story horizon. Seen stuff like that so many times - and increasingly so IMO. And as you found out, when confronted, the culprits rarely, if ever, show a note of contrition.

While skiing at moderate speed on a normal piste, I was once about an inch away from being taken out a full race speed by a member of the Canadian ski team. Terrifying. As this happened near the bottom of the run - and I was pretty shaken up and annoyed - I skied over and asked what he thought he'd been playing at and that he could kill someone....This was met by an abusive response. So I abused him back. Possibly a bit childish - but at least I felt better for it.

Possibly worse is when you see your spouse/friend/relation in a near miss - you see it all happening before you and can do nothing about it as you wonder if they will be hit.

I definitely think busy runs should be monitored by ski patrol - who should confiscate lift tickets from offenders. The worst speeding idiots use fellow slope users as human slalom poles on busy runs... Confused
snow conditions
Some people just have no concept of personal space or awareness of others. The number of times people have whipped by me at high speed this week with inches to spare (when I've most definitely NOT been doing anything unpredictable or even going that slow) is terrifying. One was a bloody instructor.

Not to mention people going at high speed through piste junctions simply because they don't want to deal with a flat the other side. One hit my 8 year old daughter today (I managed to leap out the way), who was going at most 5mph, as was I. No damage done as she just boarded over the back of her skis and knocked her over, but it could have been so much worse. There was hardly anyone else around so I can only assume target fixation, or just obliviousness and recklessness. She didn't even stop, just picked up her board and cleared off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy