Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lone skiing advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, kind of need some advice hope someone can help but rather bored so comedy replies are also welcome.

My dilemma is... I am currently writing up my PhD and will submit in a couple of weeks (but the exact date is a moveable feast) as soon as I submit I will start looking for a job and hopefully get one quite soon as the field I am going into seems to have more jobs than qualified people. Very Happy

I really wanna go skiing before the end of the season so thought it would be a good idea to get a a credit card once I get a job offer and go away before I start work, thus saving precious holiday for the summer and next season.

The problem is as I don't know when I will get a job and I am reluctant to get anymore debt until I have a firm job offer (in case no offers come!!!), so I can't predict which week I will be able to go. Unfortunately, this means I may have to go alone as my friends might not be able to get out of work at short notice.

So after all that what is the best thing to do if you wanna go skiing and haven't got anyone to go with. Bearing in mind that I won't have long to arrange an online group of other singletons to go with. I did see a company called www.action-outdoors.co.uk, who seem to be a sort of youth hostel group, anyone got any experience of them?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. My thesis is in physics so I loved the conversation about carving uphill that went on forever the other day. I have very strong views on who was right and wrong but didn't want to get involved. wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at http://www.hofnar.com/ - a mate of mine went with them last year, by himself, and had a good time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hyweljenkins, cheers that looks quite promising, they're only going one week in March though so keep the suggestions coming.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obsessed_intermediate, you would be very welcome on an Oak Hall holiday . They welcome singletons, though in most places you would probably have to share a room with 1, 2 or 3 other guys. They are very cheaply priced, offer their own instruction (should you so desire) and have a very inclusive feel so that you wouldn't never feel that you were on your own. There are usually as many guys as girls on the trips.

The company has a strong Christian religious emphasis, but this element would be very easily avoided if it didn't appeal to you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obsessed_intermediate, if you go to somewhere with an SCGB rep you should be able to ski with them for the week, for free (once you're a member). You don't say what standard you are: they normally have some days appropiate for less experienced skiers (cruising the blues etc) and one full-on off-piste day during the week (typically Thursday), and sometimes maybe even a day with a hired guide (for extra, but normally quite reasonable, cost). Doesn't necessarily do anything for nightlife, but it pretty much guarantees you someone to ski with. There may be other singles to share meals/clubbing with as well, although that's not quite so common, as the SCGB does have a lets say...erm...slightly older demographic. (The group in chamonix a few weeks ago was one gap-year school-leaver doing a season, one nurse taking a sabattical, and a few other reasonable not too shabby, not too hot, forty- and fifty-something skiers on holiday). You get one day with them for free, after that you have to join the club (at least in theory - don't know how strictly that's applied). If you join up in resort you get two years membership for the price of 1 (£49 IIRC). They also run pretty good holidays, with well over half those on them solo skiers, but they're not exactly cheap. Look at their web-site, www.skiclub.co.uk for details of holidays (the Ski Freshtracks link at the side of the main page), and the "Ski Club Reps" button for where they rep, and can check out the reps' weekly programmes too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, thanks for the link but due to my very strongly held theological views (I'm a fundamentalist agnostic by the way, we're a small band who aren't really certain what we believe and are suspicous of those with strongly held beliefs one way or the other. ) and an argumentative personality, I think I would probably ruin everyone elses holiday by accident (at least I am aware of that failing). My religous friends do find me rather tiring. Shocked

GrahamN, likewise thanks for the link, you're not wrong about the price thing! Probably up for a bit more night life than just meeting up with the SCGB rep though so the search continues. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obsessed_intermediate, you ever worked in a ski shop? Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No why? Did work in homebase for a bit. It was rubbish and the outfit made me look like a giant green smurf with orange trim.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obsessed_intermediate, do me a favour, arange six objects an arms length away, infront of you. Get a pen and paper, and write down what you think are their dimensions; length, width, height, in millimeters just by looking at them. Now measure them for real with a tape measure. How close were you? Little Angel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, here are the results. 1st column my prediction 2nd column actual.

130 136
70 71
70 71

100 95
40 44
15 20

80 80
10 12
120 140

100 90 (It's a ball so only one measurement)

200 210
300 300
15 17

13 18
13 18
1 2

I am intrigued as to the purpose of this exercise? Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obsessed_intermediate, he's looking for staff....preferably with tibias that come in one piece (rather than two) Very Happy Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GrahamN, Luke's second break, so far his tibia is in 8 pieces. Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, so did Obsessed_intermediate pass? Results looked fairly reasonable to me (although probably not quite up to your standards Wink ). At least he underestimated most things...so would be right on for getting people into ridiculously small boots Shocked Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Girlfriend has arrived so discussions will have to wait until tomo. Blush
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obsessed_intermediate, You failed, Snowheads and work are the most important aspects of your life, ditch the girlie! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Obsessed_intermediate, presumably your gf will be hopeless at estimating the length of things since you kep telling her that

---------------------------------------------------

is 8 inches.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 4-02-06 10:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
richmond, surely it is? Mrs NBT is nodding in agreement

Wink
latest report
Disappointing to have failed the most public job interview of all time! Sad

But got generous length estimate from girlfriend! Very Happy

So all in all. wink
snow conditions
I am sure there are other shops Shocked you could work in if you really wanted to Puzzled

You could always give Cern a go then everything becomes a commuter ski event rather than involving flights.
latest report
Could try a hostel.

Should be plenty of other people around also travelling on their own.

Meg
snow report
The youth hostel up at zermatt is 40 chf per night b&b it get booked up quick but it is great value for money
ski holidays
how about last minute ski clinic with someone like snowworks, various others around, e.g. the ski company, and work on technique for next time you can go with mates?
ski holidays
Obsessed_intermediate, "FUNDAMENTALIST AGNOSTIC"? So does that mean you believe in intelligent design but not the architect? I prefer multiperson pantheistic solipsism myself.

Re your firm views on carving uphill, surely you have unshakeable views? Please do comment!!

Re skiing, you could take a small risk and just let the SnowHeads know when you're going and see who else might want a new chum? Otherwise a totally last minute chalet holiday might work - at least (unless you are totally unsociable) you should find some immediate drinking friends. The way the snow in Europe is heading I suspect there will be a whole bunch of last minute discounts going.
snow report
David Murdoch, a Heinlein fan?
snow conditions
Kramer, well spotted. A committed Heinlien fan. Can never decide between "Time enough for Love", "Glory Road" or "the number of the beast" as my fave. The description of "Star" kept me in adolescent fantasy until terribly recently.

Have we just gone off topic?
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions, as I said before, off topic is fine as long as it amuses people. Smile

Will look into everyones suggestions. obelix67, my friend use to work at Cern but he is at Fermi lab in Chicago at the mo. I work on particles, but much bigger ones than they look at in either Cern or Fermi lab. My thesis is on granular materials so I could apply to work at the Swiss avalanche research centre. I'm excellently qualified, but not a good enough skier and I don't speak any German and my French is only passable. It would be awesome though wouldn't it, setting of avalanches, watching them, skiing around.....

David Murdoch, I am loathed to get into a discussion on religion as it would probably be dull, but I can't hear the words "intelligent design" and not want to hit someone with an evolution text book and a free pass to the natural history museum. Twisted Evil Nonetheless, I can probably describe what is means to be a fundamentalist agnostic quite quickly. I don't see anything in the natural world that needs a creator to explain its existence, but on the other hand I see nothing that confirms there is no higher being either. In the same vain, one could argue that I have no evidence there aren't giant purple dragons in my garden who are very shy. But I do appear to have free will and thats quite interesting and not easily explained with current scientific knowledge. So all in all, I just hate it when people don't know something for sure and decided to believe something to fill in the gap. Therefore I am fundamentally undecided or fundamentally agnostic.
Very Happy

This is turning in a bit of essay, but I can't resist a little mention of the whole skiing uphill thing (please no one follow this part of the post unless you really want to). As far as I am concerned if you are happily skiing horizontally across a piste and turn uphill you will go up the hill at little before eventually coming to rest. Since you had no uphill velocity before you turned you must have accelerated uphill at some point. However, acceleration is a vector and so the velocity you gain in the uphill direction (assuming no friction or air resistance) comes at a cost of a reduced horizontal velocity. So as soon as you start to travel with any uphill component your overall speed will start to drop so that your total potential energy + kinetic energy remains constant (here we are assuming a lossless system).

So although it is true that you `accelerate uphill` all you are really doing is turning uphill and relying on a physics definition to trick the less informed. You wouldn't say "I accelerated into the kitchen" if all you did was turn left in the corridor, but since you previously weren't travelling towards the kitchen you have accelerated towards it.

I did a few geeky calculations of a person carving down a slope and basically you can't beat Newton (especially if your name is Leibniz, sad physics joke). If we assume no friction etc and the person doesn't pump energy into the system through body movement then someone straight lining downhill gets down the fastest. A person carving will have the same speed as the fall line guy at the same vertical height, but since the carving bloke is travelling further it will take longer to get down. The water ski analogy is wrong because as mentioned before the tension is the rope varies and acceleration due to gravity doesn't (well not unless you are getting some serious vertical).

Quite tired after all that. Doubt anyone will fancy skiing with me after reading that lot but I reckon I will be going on either the weekend of the 4th March or the 11th if anyone is keen. This does assume a rather rapid job getting by me. I wanna go to one of the big French super domains or maybe a big Austrian resort as I like mileage , but I am also keen on trying off piste (although I just fall over at the moment). I really like skiing steep stuff that gets the adrenaline flowing, but my bumps technique is rather ropey. I do like a bit of the old apres ski and normally drink a bit most nights on hol. But I love the snow and the mountain is the best thing for a hangover. If anyone thinks they might be keen let me know.

rolling eyes
snow report
Cheers, a clear elucidation!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hehe Very Happy
ski holidays
Obsessed_intermediate,

Did all that take long to get down? Perhaps you studied RSA stage 3 typing in addition to Newtonian physics? Joking aside, a very clear explanation of a complex problem. Thanks Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Physics makes me Yawn, another place to look is the Hotel Europa Annex in Saas Fee - cheap n cheerfull near the middle of town.

We are in Champery again this weekend with some beginners....

if you decide on the west end of Switzerland let me know ............ Wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Honour to you sir, for being the first person (I have ever seen) to get a classic Heinleinism onto a forum - 'multiperson pantheistic solipsism' - excellent concept.

I've been a fan since my early teens. and Kramer, Glad there's at least a couple of us out here Very Happy

I reckon they could do the movie version of Glory Road any day now, (CGI is up to it at last). All three bookes mentioned are in my top 10 ever list, along with Stranger and I will fear no evil. The man was more than a genius, he was a genius who could write bl**dy good stories.

I have a signed copy of Time Enough, from just before he died, I wrote to him (cliche'd fan letter) and his wife Virginia took the time to reply even though her husband was 'gravely ill' and died shortly afterwards. I still feel moved thinking about it. A great man, gone but never forgotten!

Favourite character? (mine's Jubal Harshaw)

(Now that's derailed the topic good'n proper Very Happy Very Happy Embarassed )
ski holidays
Used to read loads of his .. just looking at book shelf and seem to remember "Farnhams Freehold" as one of my favourites ... "Time Enough for Love" was good but got too wrapped up in itself by the end IMHO.
snow report
AxsMan, my thanks and gratitude to you in return sir. You may holster your revolver!

stevew, read 'em again!

Seems like more than two of us out there! JJ Harshaw great, but my fave character (off top of head) was Jay Clare, President of "General Services" from the short story, "We also walk dogs". I also am hugely fond of Friday from "Friday". I don't suppose I need to detail the fantasies that she engendered...

Heck, just almost everything he wrote is brilliant. I have to think he was one of the last of a type of writer that we see few of today: thoughtful, educated, principled and prepared to challenge the status quo in the most outrageous fashion - "Stranger...", "Coventry", "Methuselah's Children" to name a few. And what an incandescent imagination.

You realise they're about to re-publish his entire works as a single item?
snow conditions
David Murdoch, should we found a "SnowHeads Heinlein Section"?
latest report
Obsessed_intermediate, in my team in the office - there is a perpetual physics conversation - which I try and deflect into a snow convresation with varying degrees of success.

We have player 1 ex of BNFL
We have player 2 ex of BAE

Brainiacs is their favourite TV show ..................
snow report
obelix67, there's nothing wrong with Brainiacs wink
ski holidays
Ian Hopkinson, never said there was, but there are other shows on the telly, I suppose there must be a god, as none of them refer to the EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale, etc etc etc brain mush tv, so I suppose there is that eh ?

The one that is ex BAE keeps finding that his 15 year old son has found new adult channel freeviews on various channels on sky.....ah well they joys of being 15.
snow report
David Murdoch, isn't it about time you replied to yourself. It really is rude not to reply to a direct question Very Happy Laughing

(I only read "Stranger..." and "I will fear no evil", thought they were great - particularly Stranger - not sure why I never got to read any of the rest. Single volume compendium sounds as if it could should be on the shopping list, even if only for arm-muscle exercises!)
latest report
David Murdoch, If they re-publish his entire works, that will be one big volume! In paperback his books take up about 24 inches on my shelf, and I might not have all of them (although I think I'm pretty close). Only Terry Pratchett has a bigger expanse Very Happy

GrahamN, go to the bookshop, find the SF section, buy anything else you can find by the master - do it NOW. (you won't be sorry) Very Happy

Obsessed_intermediate, sorry for derailing your thread, my advice: just go (anywhere you fancy), book some group lessons (at whatever level is appropriate) and enjoy the skiing, make some new freinds, and hit the apres, er, apres. Wouldn't push the physics too hard tho Shocked Shocked (untill after the 5th beer or so anyway) Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy