Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tipping the Feet.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Previously my short radius turns have been a mix of rotation and pressuring the outside ski. I don't think there is anything wrong with that (is there?) but I've been trying different approaches in the hope of giving myself more options.

What I've sort of stumbled into is trying a type of turn that uses a lot of 'foot tipping', I think what I'm doing is something similar to the video below.

My concern is that, catching site of my reflection in the windows at the bottom of the snow slope, a lot of my angulation / lateral separation seemed to be happening at the knees, rather than at the hip. It felt like this was particularly the case when I was doing short radius turns at slow speed. I also felt that I had a significant amount of weight on my inside ski while doing these 'foot tipping' turns.

Am I just progressing down a sort of developmental dead end, or is this type of turn worth persevering with?

http://youtube.com/v/dgjxCgZowqI

I've booked a lesson for next month, but in the mean time, does anybody have any useful thoughts on 'foot tipping'?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First, I will qualify my remarks by saying that I'm not an instructor.

- I think it is helpful thinking about starting the turn with tipping the feet....it gets you skiing from the feet up.

- When carving short turns, it is vital to get the front of the ski "biting" at the top of the turn - I find pulling the feet back at this point very useful.

- It's also essential to use skis with a radius of 11-13m.

- Short turns are "Cross Under" turns (opposite of Cross Over turns, where "you" cross over the skis). It takes a lot of nerve letting the skis carve further and further away (to the side) from a stable upper body....it's the shovel of the ski biting, that brings them back again.

- If you are able to get the skis carving way out to the side, the body shape should take care of itself.

- Remove any up and down movement....imagine skiing under a low ceiling. Watch this video of Darren Turner, especially as he turns by retracting and extending his legs over the rollers (and how little up and down movement he does)

http://youtube.com/v/l5gnnZXoDK0

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 28-04-17 22:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Oceanic, foot tipping is often underrated IMHO, possibly because it is not immediately obvious when watching a skilled skier. See what your instructor says but a simple suggestion is that stretching the outside leg can move angulation up to the hip, or above.

Another foot tipping video I like: (edit: skip to 2:49 to get straight to the point)

http://youtube.com/v/b-R09zb478U?t=180
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@balernoStu, these series of video's are very useful for high end dynamic skiing. Complete explanations and very clear diagrams. Subtitles available in english at cog button.

Thanks for posting...

ps - trying never to have my feet as wide as (snowhead favourite ) Darren Turner ever again.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this a bit like the Harold Harb thing?
Ive been working on it as it helps get the inside ski working and being less reliant on the outside ski
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hawkwind wrote:
Is this a bit like the Harold Harb thing?
Ive been working on it as it helps get the inside ski working and being less reliant on the outside ski

Yes I think it is. IMO. HH has some very good ideas....it's just he is a bit "one technique fits all", for my liking.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok , well i feel it helped me lead with the inside ski more and let it initiate the turn.
Coupled with the advice you gave me Smile

In fact i would say that it makes more sense to explain this to a beginner , i dont think im alone in trying to unlearn what i was taught at the very beginning.
Easier to get going as a beginner but then stuck and all this hassle trying to unlearn it all Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oceanic wrote:

My concern is that, catching site of my reflection in the windows at the bottom of the snow slope, a lot of my angulation / lateral separation seemed to be happening at the knees, rather than at the hip. It felt like this was particularly the case when I was doing short radius turns at slow speed. I also felt that I had a significant amount of weight on my inside ski while doing these 'foot tipping' turns.

If you are working at slow speed then the amount of hip angulation you can build in will be limited as there won;t be the forces to work against to allow this and stay balanced. Hence more natural to tilt 'from the knees' as this allows you to stay balanced more easily at slower speeds...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hawkwind wrote:
Ok , well i feel it helped me lead with the inside ski more and let it initiate the turn.
Coupled with the advice you gave me Smile

In fact i would say that it makes more sense to explain this to a beginner , i dont think im alone in trying to unlearn what i was taught at the very beginning.
Easier to get going as a beginner but then stuck and all this hassle trying to unlearn it all Smile

I think that if used appropriately and cherry picked, certain HH techniques can greatly help...it's just that imo they should be incorporated as part of an overall system (I like BASI). IMO. Anything that gets the uphill foot working parallel to the d/hill foot and achieve early weight transfer, is a very good thing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy