Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
I went down the Vallons de la Meije this afternoon with 3 clients, and it was fine. On the whole the top was a bit rockier than last year after getting off the first open snowfield. (The traverse in from the restaurant was well dodgy!) You had to be careful which route you took, and some of the "normal" bits were either impassable, or only with care. The snow on the top section was fantastic - pwdery, but packed.

We took the valley all the way down to the ice cave, which was fine, with some interesting varied snow from hard windcrust to almost powder, passing through breakable on the way! We were able to ski through the little gulley below the ice cave and thence on to the hut where the Derby de la Meije finishes. this was rocky, but much less so than last year later on, and then the last bit before the path where you pop around all the little moguls and stumps etc was really good 'cos IT WASN'T ICY! Shocked this is the first time I've ever skied it not icy!!! Great. The path was awkward as ever, but not icy, and access to the meadow was slightly more interesting than usual, however the snow on the meadow was great, and the walk up from the river about the same as normal!

We found the beer and the coffee in the Hotel Castillan quite up to the usual standards ......... and the taxi ride back for 4 people was still only 45 euros.

All in all a very pleasant afternoon. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks, Charlotte, that was fun to read!

Later in the spring do you usually take clients back up the bubbles and over the Dome back to Les 2 Alpes, or is the taxi usually preferred?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, very jealous after my abortive trip there last weekend
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski wrote:

We found the beer and the coffee in the Hotel Castillan quite up to the usual standards ......... and the taxi ride back for 4 people was still only 45 euros.

All in all a very pleasant afternoon. :D :D

Sounds great and I'm almost envious. We were in the Vercors which has some of the best conditions at the moment. A little couloir called the Peyrouse. Here are a few photos:

Seb and Tom climbing

Pedro and cie tackling the first section

Seb, deep in thought, back home after a winter spent in Germany pining for the fjords

Seb in full flight - easier than skiing when it is steep :-)

Total cost, erm nothing but toil!

For those interested la Grave and the Vercors are just 60km apart but often have very different conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, I much prefer the taxi method: firstly you don't have any time constraints (last poma at 15.30), secondly you don't have to walk back over the top (OK we walked over today, but the run was the reward) and thirdly you get to have a jolly beer at the hotel Castillon on the terrace in company with all the knarly LG types!!!

I do mostly take fairly moderate skiers down the Vallons de la Meije, so they're pretty knackered after one descent anyway - it's a big trip and lots of photo stops for people wholve never been anywhere like that before ..... even if you've been there many times the scenery is still startling! Very Happy

davidof, Looks interesting! About as wide as some of the gullies we skied today - but that's spectacular scenery. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One day, Charlotte, one day...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Damn - I need to practice jump turns Wink And all the other basics first hehehe

Cheers all for the info and pics.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Setting the mood nicely for a bit of off-piste next week in St Anton. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Vercors photo report here for anyone interested:

http://www.bivouak.net/album_photos/index.php?id_topo=1232&id_sport=1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow pretty darned good ATM. All pretty heavily skied out and the place is full of gentle bumps (and some not quite so gentle), but mostly very pleasant skiing. Very cold above 3000m early am (pre 10:30), a bit crusty and what snow wasn't crust really grabbed at the skis, but application of a bit of Notwax (and scraping off the excess wax I'd left on the bases rolling eyes - too much waxing for plastic Embarassed ) freed things up. From about 11:00-midday snow softened up and was really flattering to ski - all the previous ice is clearly well covered - and held up fine even low down right to the close of play (although we were too knackered to ski the bit below P1 and bottled out and took the last lift down that bit). Not much powder around, but we did find a couple of pitches to make some nice fresh tracks.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN, How can you bottle out of anything and choose P1 as an alternative?? Shocked Shocked No matter how knackered I'd rather walk than go up onto that thing! I'm hoping to come over on Friday, may find some Danish to come, but the weather forecast seems to suggest Friday will be heavy snow - might have to wait for next week then. Will see. thanks for the report - sounds pretty much how I expected it to be. Have loadsa fun!!!! Cool Cool
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, fingers crossed for that heavy snow, off to Serre Che on Sunday morning.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
GrahamN, How can you bottle out of anything and choose P1 as an alternative?? Shocked Shocked

Well you know I'd never have done that left to my own devices - but you gotta go with the flow from time to time (and we were all losing form - even the guide)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Today very cold at the top again (-25C first thing), but the dusting of snow last night (officially less than 1cm) had blown into all the little ruts and given a beautiful soft cushion over the hard base - really gorgeous skiing all day, although was crusting over by 4pm. Vallon de la Meije hard packed but great to blast over either big wide sweeping turns or short dinky ones. Top temperature at 3000m about -10C. Snow in the couloirs (Banane and Lac) was not luxuriant but pretty easy to ski. Blue sky nearly all day, and lovely views over to the extensive clouds dumping on Alpe d'Huez (so guess where we're going tomorrow Little Angel snowHead )

easiski, you may rest assured I've not been bottling out of anything since last report Wink even though the majority of the rest of the group are still taking the easy way down at the end (so leaving just the guide, me and the rep). Beware of a couple of pretty heavy compressions right on the bridge about 100m above the bottom of the valley - first time over it I didn't see the second one while taking a run at it and left a bit of my forehead on the uphill runout Shocked Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GrahamN, I'm envious. This time two weeks ago I was there Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Still - only 50 weeks to go Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
GrahamN, Aah - but then I prefer the valley route rather than the P1 route anyway! That bridge is a bu**er isn't it?
snow conditions
LG top lifts (i.e. above P2) were shut all day due to high wind, and unstable snowpack. Our hotelier reckons it'll be shut for another couple of days. We didn't ski here today (went over to Serre Che) because of that, but it looks like visibility in LG is pretty much zero at the moment (can't even see P1 from the village)
ski holidays
Still snowing here, so loads of powder skiing to be had snowHead snowHead snowHead . Unfortunately the entire lift system is closed today (avalanche risk), - so no sneaky last half day's play Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad - and I would doubt it'll be open tomorrow either. The lifties were directing everyone over to Le Chazalet - but not really viable to squeeze in before lunch
snow report
Went today, and I hesitate to say it folks but - it was marvellous! We managed to find some (almost) untracked powder both at the top and a little way down the Vallons de la Meije (puffing up to the top of my legs), and lower down we got spring snow (fresh tracks) and then really nice bumps in light slush on the mogully path bit. Last open snowfield was super spring snow again, but well tracked. 2 drinks at the Castillon cos there was a taxi mix-up, and then just got home.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Iarm74 was with us, but not his mrs.
snow conditions
easiski, i'm told it's the best cover from top to bottom in years. sorted myself out with 3 guided days there the weekend after next which i am looking forward to greatly snowHead i'd better watch out for people practicing for the Derby...
snow conditions
easiski, sounds brilliant. We should have been there, we left a day too early Crying or Very sad
latest report
Arno, It's certainly the best I've ever skied it (but then I only go over when I can). Yes - peeps practising for the Derby are VERY DANGEROUS!! Unbelievable speeds some of them go over bumps and rough snow. Shocked

RachelQ, Soooo sorry you missed it - got a an extra beer in at the village as well ('cos I f***ed up the taxi planning).
latest report
easiski, well i'm going to instruct the guide that i'm not paying him to do the classic routes - i can find my way down them myself (cue nannies telling me NEVER TO SKI OFF PISTE WITHOUT A GUIDE wink ) - so we should avoid them
snow report
davidof,

Great pics, seems very steep from angle of the photographer
ski holidays
dupe..!!
ski holidays
davidof, I'm surprised so few Brits ever make it to the Vercors. It's not as if it's difficult to get to with direct flights to Grenoble. Door to resort door, Grenoble St Geoirs airport to Villard de Lans for example 1 hour 3 minutes according to ViaMichelin. And what a great resort - you're actually aware you're in France for once!
ski holidays
Arno, I think it's highly unlikely that the guide will even want to take you on the classic routes! Too many other places to take you. Very Happy Very Happy We saw peeps in all sorts of places. One of the guys with me was a past mountain climber (more or less gave up to do skiing) - I think he got a bit enthused!! wink wink
ski holidays
Quote:
I do mostly take fairly moderate skiers down the Vallons de la Meije, so they're pretty knackered after one descent anyway - it's a big trip and lots of photo stops for people wholve never been anywhere like that before

easiski - guess i must fall into that category then !!!!!

it was more knackering walking back up to the car park than coming down........

trip down was spot on - perfect bluebird day etc...could say much more on the subject, but it will only depress me

anyway will get some photos uploaded once i work out how to do it - which should hopefully show just how it was

btw - mrs iarm74 spent the pm with the tiddly peep and told me i was the 1 who missed out!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
iarm74, Takes all sorts!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Any updates on the conditions in La Grave? What does it look like this weekend?
snow report
Diarmuid, Can't say how much has been lost low down, but I'd be surprised if there was any problem getting to P1 - there was so much snow last week.! Best phone them I should think. Very Happy
ski holidays
Thanks...! Will give em a buzz
ski holidays
I can report that a LOT of snow fell on Saturday. Face shots were achieved on the Vallons de la Meije. Turned to rain lower down (about P1 level I would say) but very skiable all the way down. More snow has fallen since. We decided to avoid the feeding frenzy at La Grave in favour of Alpe d'Huez for the last couple of days. Unbelievably good snowHead
snow report
Arno, Glad to hear you had a good time - did you actually get "over the head face shots"? Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, not quite - but flying snow hit my face which is good enough for me snowHead
snow conditions
Arno, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski, or anyone else for that matter!... has anyone done the trip under the lake; diving under the ice?? love to hear back from anyone who has tried it especially there!!
snow report
sarah@alpedhuez, Not me - sounds well dodgy Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
sarah@alpedhuez, saw the lake, and the entry point...but it looked hellish cold to me, so no way!

(OK so the water is going to be warmer than the air above the surface, so in the drysuit you're probably OK under the water, but getting in and out must be chuffing cold).
snow report
Went today. It was really hot, the snow at the top was very nice not very packed powder in little bumps, but about half way to the mid-station traverse it started to become rather heavy. below the traverse it became porridgy and gluey, however ity was still loads of fun. The valley route had not bee skied very much (huge avalache), so maybe we'd have been better to do the P1 route. However I had kidz with me, so I was concerned about the trees... (I once had someone go off the edge there - nearly gave me a heart attack). rolling eyes We were alble to ski almost to the bottom - we had to walk around 50m on the last bit of the path, and the last field involved a fair bit of grass skiing, but we did get all the way down to the road. Very hot and uncomfortable on the walk back up to the village, but all made it safe and sound. Some loved it - some - well let's skip that one! Shocked

Congratulations to Halden Nielsen-Timms who did it well at age 8!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy