Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need to vent about a Tour Operator.

Poster: A snowHead
So, where do I start. I'll be as objective as possible and not name the company in question.

I appreciate that not everything goes as planned on a ski holiday and the tour operator/person on the ground must adapt to changing circumstances in order to provide a professional service and ensure the clients receive a suitable level of care and attention.

My situation is as follows. On the day prior to our transfer out of Folgarida, we were advised that the the TO decided to pull forward the departure more than 4 hours, which given transfer times, would mean hanging around Verona airport for 8 hours with young kids. In other words, hell on earth would probably be a more nicer place to spend time.

The member of resort staff, who also happens to be the company director thus suitably empowered to make decisions on behalf of the business, suggested we dump our stuff at the airport, then head into Verona for the day. Given that the children aren't quite at the age to appreciate culture/history etc, this was not ideal but the best that could be had given the circumstances. We accepted this suggestion.

Then roll on around 10pm on the evening before departure; we were informed that there was in fact no available bag drop at the airport, nor was there any possibility of a later transfer as the TO had not made suitable alternative arrangements. The only Plan B I could come up with at now 11pm was to book a hotel room at the airport (70 Eur) and use this as the base for the day. Without prompting, the TO offered to pay 50 Eur compensation (in line with ATOL etc etc) and the company director offered to pay the additional 20 Eur out of his own pocket as a sign of good will. Fair enough, problem solved.

Roll on this week, we decide to book again with the same TO, surely they wouldn't make the same mistake twice and they did try to resolve the transfer situation. More importantly, the resort was nice, the kids had a blast at ski school etc so all in all a successful holiday at a reasonable price. I speak to the company director, he is happy to help, checks availability of rooms at the chosen hotel, so deposit placed.

Yesterday I receive a less than factual email from the company president (not listed as a company director, so possibly president by title only) politely telling us to get stuffed and not to darken their door again, suggesting that we took advantage of the resort staff's (read company director) generosity. So, in other words, they screw up transfers, can't put a fix in place meaning I'm left to resolve the matter at 11pm at night. My complaint was polite, factual and clear that I expected the TO to do more than leave us high and dry. Somehow this has me branded as some form of undesirable and to add salt to the wounds the TO are demanding I repay the money they gave me as compensation and as good will.

Fortunately the issue was something relatively small and readily fixable. Given their attitude, I hate to think how this TO would rise to the challenge when there is a real problem which requires some coordinated action and consideration of the clients needs. Advice, stay well clear...............

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 26-02-17 17:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'll be as objective as possible and not name the company in question.

Quote:

Advice, stay well clear...............

Erm...... how are people supposed to 'stay well clear' if they don't know who it is?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, would be nice to know who to avoid!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Allysnow01, does the first name of this director/president begin with W?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@maggi, my first thought...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why did the TO bring the transfer time forwards? That's happened to me occasionally, sometimes weather related, other times for no obvious reason but I suspect to get the departure times of multiple flights to line up with a single transfer coach. Unfortunate perhaps, but not that uncommon. When it has happened to me I've never had the TO offer to pay for a hotel room to use for the day - that seems above and beyond what is normally provided.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Independent travel every time for me I'm afraid. I posted seperately about being left with 2 bored kids in a Subway restaurant for 9 hours. I've never had a problem when I've booked myself.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think you did well to get some money. Transfers are always dodgy, with a coach company try I g to keep lots of people happy.
My bus was four hours late leaving the airport last year. They waited for a delayed flight. I thought that was pretty good of them and ensured all holiday makers got to resort. Others were swearing at the coach company, demanding refunds etc. I thought this was all a bit selfish and unnecessary.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx wrote:

Mine too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@holidayloverxx, @Hells Bells, and ends in ....? Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Allysnow01, did this happen this year? Then if so i'm assuming that you were looking to rebook for next half term?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I think you did well to get some money. Transfers are always dodgy, with a coach company try I g to keep lots of people happy.
My bus was four hours late leaving the airport last year. They waited for a delayed flight. I thought that was pretty good of them and ensured all holiday makers got to resort. Others were swearing at the coach company, demanding refunds etc. I thought this was all a bit selfish and unnecessary.

Swearing at them might be unnecessary but I can understand people being annoyed if they've been given a transfer time and it changes at the last minute for no obvious reason. They might have bought a lift pass for the Sat morning, for example, based on a pickup time of 1400 then the TO decides to move the transfer forward to 1000 meaning they've wasted their money.

Can't be arsed with TOs in general. Much less stressful to organise things yourself.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Mine too.

If it is, then I've always sucked up the long transfers from Venice and mixing and matching of flights because the overall deal is fantastic for a half term holiday. Having said that 8 hours in the airport is a long time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is a very very long time with children.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Allysnow01, and welcome to snowHeads. I am a little bit uneasy about someone whose first post is to complain about a TO, especially if you don't name them. If I wasn't happy with the arrangement the first time, I wouldn't be thinking about booking again.
ski holidays
@Allysnow01, would I be right in saying you've just joined snowheads to complain about a tour operator?
ski holidays
Big tour operators offer limited choice these days. Small independents offer niche resorts but they are at the mercy of other companies, flight times and
The weather. I sometimes feel we are a little too demanding. These people work on small margins and don't make a lot. Many go under.
For them to survive we need to be a bit understanding when things don't always work out.
latest report
My other half regularly posts/follows this forum, but yes, this is my first post, no need to feel uneasy.

Taking some advice, in future DIY may well be the way forward, and avoid tour operators that offer such an unprofessional level of service.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:
Why did the TO bring the transfer time forwards? That's happened to me occasionally, sometimes weather related, other times for no obvious reason but I suspect to get the departure times of multiple flights to line up with a single transfer coach. Unfortunate perhaps, but not that uncommon.
My impression of the OP was that the poster was, 'appropriately' irked by this but did their best to mitigate discomfort for the family caused by something out of their control and was subsequently satisfied with how the operator helped in this regard.
Quote:
When it has happened to me I've never had the TO offer to pay for a hotel room to use for the day - that seems above and beyond what is normally provided.
The offer by the TO to cover the cost of the hotel room was indeed more than we might have come to expect from the typical operator and yet, from a human/customer-care focused perspective, seems entirely proportionate and as such I'm not that surprised that the OP was happy enough with that solution to be prepared to forgive the original issue and and be happy to book again.
Now, that operator should (IMHO) feel proud of the fact that they resolved the issue to such a wholly satisfactory degree that they won repeat business despite the initial problem. To throw that away seems rather silly and to demand the return of a 'goodwill' payment, especially such a small sum, when is frankly nuts as it's clearly going to generate 5 times as much bad-will as there was in the first place!

I knew an operator not a million miles from there who stood in the hotel lobby, loudly declaring in conversation that 20% of clients aren't likely to come back whatever you do, so why bother trying to keep them happy? Just focus on finding 20% new clients for next year. Since every client in the hotel was his, you could see many of the people within earshot wondering whether they were in the 80 or the 20% Confused

Hells Bells wrote:
@Allysnow01, and welcome to snowHeads. I am a little bit uneasy about someone whose first post is to complain about a TO, especially if you don't name them.
I don't understand this Hells. Why especially if they don't name them? Surely the issue is when someone signs up fresh just to try to damage somebody's reputation - and even then, if the complaint seems warranted, justified, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me. The community here is pretty good at pushing back to redress the balance when people go too far, get a bit petty or vindictive and if there's a valid issue to answer for, the subject of the complaint be they a Tour-op, ski-school, whatever, is perfectly welcome and at liberty to resond here.
Quote:
If I wasn't happy with the arrangement the first time, I wouldn't be thinking about booking again.
As I said above, my impression was that, having been looked after and compensated in a small but meaningful way, they were happy overall with how they were treated.
Am I reading a different post to you?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 26-02-17 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Big tour operators offer limited choice these days. Small independents offer niche resorts but they are at the mercy of other companies, flight times and
The weather. I sometimes feel we are a little too demanding. These people work on small margins and don't make a lot. Many go under.
For them to survive we need to be a bit understanding when things don't always work out.

Here's the thing - whether they survive or not is not really my concern. I want the least stressful holiday option and being messed about by TOs is way more stressful than doing it yourself imo. Also, they offer less skiing. Sat - Sat rather then the Sat - Sun option we can do ourselves.
ski holidays
@admin, my comment about naming was simply because the OP was recommending that we avoid the TO. Difficult to do if we don't know who they are. Over and beyond to cover the cost of the hotel I agree, but still unacceptable for families at half-term. I guess i probably wouldn't have complained loudly enough to get the cost of the hotel room reimbursed, but would then have voted with my feet and not booked again.
snow report
Especially was probably the wrong word to use. It's been a busy weekend.
ski holidays
Indeed - I think the OP may be suffering a little confusion over whether their 'angle' is a mere 'vent of frustration' to a (hopefully) sympathetic snowEar about a nameless operator or a 'well-meaning recommendation' not to use someone who seems, well, perhaps a little unpredictable Confused

On the one hand, it would be nice to know who this touro operator is so they have the opportunity to step in and tell their side of the story. On the other hand, the OP would leave themselves open to accusations of 'just signing up to slag someone off'.
latest report
Years ago I worked for a very large paint company. We had some internal marketing stats that our normal repeat business rate was x, people who had a problem, complained and had it dealt with were at 1.5x. Amazingly, those where we just listened to the complaint sympathetically but did nothing were still 1.2x! (I may have the precise details of the ratios a bit wrong, it was 25 years ago)

We debated whether it was more profitable to make mistakes than it was to do everything perfectly... maybe this tour operator is trying such a tactic but implemented it poorly Cool

Without knowing the TO, it is still possible to implement the OPs suggestion of avoiding this operator by avoiding all operators and intermediaries...
snow report
It's impossible to determine what the purpose/angle of this is. 'I'll be as objective as possible and not name the company in question' makes the advice to 'stay well clear...............' completely meaningless. Accepting the OP as true I completely understand their frustration but I've no idea how anybody is supposed to act on their advice.
ski holidays
@swiftoid, well, if you are thinking of booking a holiday to Folgarida with a small TO based there, then you could always PM the OP to see if it's the same one (a quick Google indicates there aren't many of them). If not, the specifics aren't all that relevant.

@Allysnow01, sounds like you had a lucky escape for next year! I can see why you are annoyed. What a petty way to behave.
snow report
@Gämsbock, I hadn't noticed them say it was a small TO. Either way, it's daft to recommend avoiding someone if you don't say who it is. Agree it was a petty way for them, however big or small, to behave.
snow report
You'd never chose to have an 8 hour wait (with kids) for a transfer, so somewhere to dump stuff for the day seems reasonable. I've always DIY'd so any mess ups are my own and I accept that plus the flack. Interesting to read about problems with TO as I would have thought you are paying a premium for hassle free, but apparently not.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Allysnow01 wrote:
and to add salt to the wounds the TO are demanding I repay the money they gave me as compensation and as good will.

Oh yes... 'demanding' how? "or what"? if you know what I mean?
latest report
Quote:

On the one hand, it would be nice to know who this touro operator is

O a typo whato.
latest report
swiftoid wrote:

Here's the thing - whether they survive or not is not really my concern. I want the least stressful holiday option and being messed about by TOs is way more stressful than doing it yourself imo. Also, they offer less skiing. Sat - Sat rather then the Sat - Sun option we can do ourselves.

ah ewesbouldcareifthey survive. Running a business is tough and the. Ore that go under, the !eww choice we will have. People love to publically rant a d complain but are far less willing to share praise.
ski holidays
ah ewesbouldcareifthey survive. Running a business is tough and the. Ore that go under, the !eww choice we will have. People love to publically rant a d complain but are far less willing to share praise.

Step away from the keyboard and put your hands behind your back
latest report
@red 27, LOL
snow conditions
swiftoid wrote:

In English please?
ski holidays
There appears to be left luggage at Verona station . Bit of a faff getting from airport to station and back especially if you have skis but at least a possibility
ski holidays
@admin, seems like the president and the director of this TO went to the same charm school.
snow report
I get what everyone is saying, but as a narrative it does rather feel that a chunk of story is missing. Can we have more details?
ski holidays
@admin, toureo surely??
ski holidays
now now lets not hasty about who the toureo operatero is Toofy Grin
snow report
@Grandma Sunshine, I'm not a betting man otherwise I'd put a shilling on it💰💰
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy