Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Skiing is more dangerous than snowboarding" - AA Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
AA Insurance is due to publish a report next week stating that having two legs locked together on one deck is good insurance for your legs.

Insurance claims monitored by the company are reported to indicate that snowboarders generally make fewer medical claims than skiers, with leg injuries generally confined to sprained ankles, "compared with the multiple fractures of skiers".

This report from The Telegraph.

-----------------------------------------------------
It will be interesting to see the report in full. All independent studies of ski injury trends since the advent of plastic ski boots and improved bindings in the 1970s have indicated that "multiple fractures" (or single fractures) have substantially declined, though knee ligament injuries have multiplied in frequency.

Any comparison of upper body injuries between skiers and boarders would also be interesting to note.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course it could all be something to do with the fact that the majority are considerably younger than the rest of us, are consequently made of rubber, and bounce.

Was this taken into account?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PG,
Quote:

Of course it could all be something to do with the fact that the majority are considerably younger than the rest of us, are consequently made of rubber, and bounce.

Were you rubbing your arm when you typed this. I want to see the sample size and the demographic makeup before I take it seriously.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG wrote:

Do winter sport insurers take age into account when calculating premiums? If not then I am going to shut up on this one ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG wrote:

I am 50 later this year and refuse to grow old gracefully!! Still snowboarding hard and fast at every opportunity!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fogliettaz, ah, so you're the one I spotted on the slopes the other day! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That seems so odd - My group is evenly matched skiers to boarders - over 3 years the boarders have racked up: broken or sprained wrist*3, bust back*1, bust knee*3, bust ribs*1 plus various other minor bumps and bruises. The skiers just a few cases of sore shins, and one bruised hip....

There again I guess if they only look ast lower leg inhuries - maybe, I can see how skiers would be mroe at risk of 'legs going opposite way/wrong way' type problems... aj xx
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Over the past 9 weeks I have observed the following whilst being on piste, or happened to people I know

Skiers - knee x 2, disc (lower back), shoulder dislocated, tibia
Boaders -
Bladers - same guy tibia and fibia, he had taken his releaseable bindings off and put his fixed bindings on to get more flex in the blade

And no I havent bladed into any of them Shocked

Also I have witnessed 3 out of control skiers crash into people, I have not seen any boarders or bladers do the same, so far this season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans wrote:
PG wrote:

Do winter sport insurers take age into account when calculating premiums? If not then I am going to shut up on this one ...

Insurers take into account everything that effects their bottom line. Usually younger insurers are worse off as they take greater risks => more claims. => higher premium.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmmm,

Hope this doesn't mean they want to limit the equipment you can use whilst on holiday. i.e. you've got a snowboarding only policy so you're not covered to try out skiing or blading.

Meg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Come on folks it's obvious. How dangerous can it be just sitting around on the snow chatting with your mates like most boarders I see? If you're not moving then the biggest risk is some poor skier coming over the hill to find you and 20 of your hill frog mates sitting just out of sight across the piste comparing pant bagginess and who can get most of their underpant out from the tops of said baggy pants.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reckon it's down to those crazy hard boots all you lot have to wear - how you can walk up and down steps in them with out a bone breaking tumble once a week I don't know. wink

Seriously though there are some intresting stats on injuries here at www.ski-injury.com , for those of you that haven't heard of the site it's run by a Doctor based in the Cairngorms. I think his findings give riders a slighty higher chance of damaging themselves than skiers but there's not a great amount of difference. I'll be interested to see the full AA report when it comes out.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can see that snowboarding has a higher chance of injury in the 1st few days - sprained/broken wrists especially but then the learning curve is steeper, whereas I'd guess skiing has an equal chance of leg injury throughout until you've built up real leg strength/ adjusted your DIN right down. Obviously once anyone is spanking themselves in the park then injuries are absolutely to be expected.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come on, I think we know that snowboarding is safer for your knees. Its every other kind of injury (apart from perhaps skiers thumb!) that they are more dangerous for.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
which is safest for injured pride when u stack it under the lift..?
ski holidays
Most common snowboarder injury is strained stomach muscles after laughing at skiing outfits!!!!! Cool
latest report
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

Uusually snowboarding I'd say judging from guys I've seen flip a few times then stand up gear still attached raising arms to the cheering/jeering chairlift then riding off. Harder to keep dignity while picking up scattered skis and poles.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
CANV CANVINGTON wrote:

Uusually snowboarding I'd say judging from guys I've seen flip a few times then stand up gear still attached raising arms to the cheering/jeering chairlift then riding off. Harder to keep dignity while picking up scattered skis and poles.

Tell me about it. Or the embarrassment of totally mashing a small bit off of piste and having to work your way from out of the trees when the lift has stopped above you , so the people who saw you mess up are still the same poeple who see you climb back out. I did not look up once.
ski holidays
Loved that line about Hill Frogs, will remember that. Remember once seeing a group above the snow park in VT and wondering whether any would be getting up any time soon or if some recreational smoking was going on, decided not to bother giving them any longer and tried my first ever jump. Needless to say it was exhilarating and messy. No injuries or loss of skis but the aforementioned mountain frogs probably did need to see a doctor about their sore tummy muscles. snowHead Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy