Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SCOTTISH SKI SEASON. HOW BAD?

Poster: A snowHead
How bad has the Scottish ski seas9n been? Is there any skiing left this year?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cameronphillips2000 wrote:

Well the title is leading. Happy

I was skiing last week in Glencoe and the top of the hill is okay.

The Scottish snow thread and winter highland are a good source of info.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

5hite. Is about the best word to describe it. We haven't made it up once as the conditions simply haven't warranted it. My sons snow race club have ran a few sessions at Cairngorm but with the call to "use old skis". Glenshee has been very badly hit. They had a few days around half term but nothing more.

All the Scottish Alpine Series races have been cancelled although they are hoping to run the Bairns Bucket and Children's Championship at Nevis in 3 weeks time. Can't see that happening.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to NS the lack of snow is due to TM not agreeing to another referendum wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It has been one of the worst seasons of all time.

Glenshee is about -90% below-average.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a real shame. Must dreadful for the local economies 9n those areas.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hopefully next year is a better season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its the worst in the 7 odd years I've been going, but, to be fair, we were due a bad one. Let's hope next year is better.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stewart woodward wrote:
According to NS the lack of snow is due to TM not agreeing to another referendum wink

Does politics really need to be dragged into every thread, even if it is maybe an attempt at humor?

I'm another who hasn't skied at all in Scotland this season due to the poor conditions. Nearest to me is Glenshee (1.5hrs away), so that's where I normally ski most but in recent years we've also taken a long weekend trip to Nevis in Feb. Normally I'll have 5 or 6 days in total in a decent year.

On the other hand my son's primary school ski trip got lucky with just about the only half-decently snowy week at Glenshee, although they were pretty much limited to the roadside runs. I feel for all the other school ski trips that didn't get so lucky, possibly a generation of kids who are less likely to become skiers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think it's my first year of not getting a single day on the Scottish slopes since I started in '97. Such a shame as investment confidence had started to build and this will be a sobering reminder of how it can be. To be fair it's been a poo-poo year in the alps as well. The yanks nicked all the snow this year. Hope it's a one off!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're 250-300 miles from the Scottish ski areas but have managed 8 days (a mix of ski touring and lift-served) in 5 weekend visits between the end of November and 24 March to Glenshee, Nevis and Cairngorm.

Managed to ski some decent snow on each trip - from fresh tracks ski touring to proper winter cover (packed powder) on others. Only our last trip (Nevis on 24/3) was spring-like and soft - still great though, with skiing back to the top of the gondola.

So by no means a disastrous season in our book wink - and still hopeful of a wintry top up to get some final ski touring in.

Quote:
To be fair it's been a poo-poo year in the alps as well 
Really?? Not on our December trips to Val Thorens and Tignes; or our return to those resorts in March; or our Aosta Valley resort tour in January.

It's been more or less business as usual in Espace Killy and Val Thorens this winter Very Happy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Really?? Not on our December trips to Val Thorens and Tignes; or our return to those resorts in March; or our Aosta Valley resort tour in January.

Well you have picked two of the highest resorts on in the world there so hardly a benchmark but c'mon you must have your head fully buried in the sand if you think this has been a good year. Resorts without huge snow making infrastructure had pretty much nothing over Xmas and New Year and suffered badly. I was in 3 Valleys from the 14th Jan and whilst we were lucky to arrive during a storm it had been their first for 7 or 8 weeks so there was zero base off-piste below 2300m. Since that cold snap in January it seems to have been pretty much above average temps and very early start to spring. Whilst the mega resorts will have done just fine and I'm sure most had a decent weeks holiday its not been a good year by any measure. As for Scotland, when the 'skier day' numbers come out this will be in the top 3 worst years on record. Love your optimism and glad you had a good season but it's not one we wish to repeat, I'm sure most will agree!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This year has been terrible compared to recent years, saying otherwise is deluded.

From the Times.

"Scotland’s ski centres have suffered one of their worst seasons, with operators warning that millions of pounds have been lost from a lack of snow.

Hundreds of seasonal jobs have fallen victim to the mild winter. Glenshee, in Aberdeenshire, has been open for only 15 days this season — compared with 60 at the same point last year and 69 in the winter of 2014-15.

Stewart Davidson, its finance director, who has been at Glenshee for 28 years, said that this season was among the worst he had experienced.

“We haven’t had to lay off any permanent staff but we have not taken on 60 to 80 seasonal staff,” he said. “This season has been a non-event. It’s so frustrating, but what can you do?…
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
We're 250-300 miles from the Scottish ski areas but have managed 8 days (a mix of ski touring and lift-served) in 5 weekend visits between the end of November and 24 March to Glenshee, Nevis and Cairngorm.

Managed to ski some decent snow on each trip - from fresh tracks ski touring to proper winter cover (packed powder) on others. Only our last trip (Nevis on 24/3) was spring-like and soft - still great though, with skiing back to the top of the gondola.

So by no means a disastrous season in our book wink - and still hopeful of a wintry top up to get some final ski touring in.

Quote:
To be fair it's been a poo-poo year in the alps as well 

It's been more or less business as usual in Espace Killy and Val Thorens this winter Very Happy.

Snowfall right across the European Alps was 30-50% below-average this season.

One of the worst seasons for many years.

Only snowmaking saved most resorts from a car crash.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
So by no means a disastrous season

It's been more or less business as usual in Espace Killy and Val Thorens this winter Very Happy

I don't know if it's skiing in general or just Snowheads, but that's just the sort of toss that I'd expect from some people on here. That huge boasting thing telling everyone how great/lucky they are and that actually everything is completely rosy. Disagreeing with them is difficult since doing so implies somehow that you're not as awesome/lucky as they are.

I usually associate it with people who have houses in resort and are desperate to tell the world how great they/their houses/their resorts are.

You'd get fully called on it on most sites, but somehow Snowheads seem to tolerate it.
snow report
Quote:
seas9n ... 5hite

y3s

I'm reminded of the seminal book on the subject: "Skiing in Scotland" by Heather Bashing
ski holidays
Christ! I'm not sure that my post (which only reflected my tell-it-as-it-was take on snow in the places I skied....) warranted responses that degenerated into sheer abuse...

Ta for that.
snow conditions
I'm in Avoriaz this week with the kids and I am grateful that I am that high. There is plenty of snow on most of the runs above the resort but those below are fading fast. Our bus driver was saying that it has snowed only 3 times in Morzine this year and has been considered one of the worst winters in a long time.
My heart says that this is just a bad run (for Europe and Scotland) but my head says that this is likely to happen more in the future.
ski holidays
@lionrampant, we really feel for those involved in seasonal sport when the snow fails - our main connections are with CH but feel for those in the Scottish industry. We have had an enjoyable and rewarding season but it has been terrible in respect of snow cover - I will be interested to see the stats when they come out in May. Our friends who own a ski school in CH are beginning to invest in mountain biking instruction and events as a means of offsetting changing income from winter sports. With record temps around the world last year, the year before and in the first months of this year, it all feels a bit structural...
snow report
I`ve got a Nevis season pass and i haven`t used it once. Terrible season. Only decent days they had snow i was either working or away in the Alps.
snow report
lionrampant wrote:

My heart says that this is just a bad run (for Europe and Scotland) but my head says that this is likely to happen more in the future.

Think you've got the heart and the head the wrong way round there, unless you know something the rest of us don't?
snow conditions
Quote:

Think you've got the heart and the head the wrong way round there, unless you know something the rest of us don't?

Yea I'd agree its been a pretty good decade for Scotland so far, particularly for the west coast. In fact, too much snow has been an issue on several occasions over the last few years resulting in labour/resource intensive digging out of drag lifts and funiculars just to get the terrain open. A bad year or two in the mix has always been a feature of Scottish snow sports so nothing new and no cause for concern providing the centres have stashed enough cash to keep afloat.
snow conditions
lionrampant wrote:
I'm in Avoriaz this week with the kids and I am grateful that I am that high. There is plenty of snow on most of the runs above the resort but those below are fading fast. Our bus driver was saying that it has snowed only 3 times in Morzine this year and has been considered one of the worst winters in a long time.

It is already happening.

Snowfall across the European Alps has declined 10-30% in the past 40 years.
snow conditions
I think the thing that will keep Scottish skiing going is the spirit of those who ski there. I've seen people skiing in conditions that would deter polar explorers - in kilts.
ski holidays
I think the thing that will keep Scottish skiing going is the spirit of those who ski there. I've seen people skiing in conditions that would deter polar explorers - in kilts.

Yes I've heard it can get a bit windy around the Trossachs....

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy