Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Surefoot Val D'Isere? Or other recommendations for bootfitters, Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone had any dealings with this lot? Are they any good? I need to get a new pair of boots in the tignes / val d'isere region and am rapidly exhausting the possibilities of decent fitters.

I've been to Jojo in Nevada Sports in Tignes and he doesn't have anything that suits my feet. Great bootfitter but not exactly the most helpful individual, it must be said. Have also been all over Tignes Le Lac, so far to no avail. Next step is for Val Claret and then on to Val D'Isere.

If anyone has any other recommendations within the region I am happy to travel in order to get the right boots.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have used Surefoot on several occasions and have found them to be very good (Verbier and London, not Val)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is said to be a very good boot fitter at Mattis Sports on the snow front.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Surefoot is very good, but in my experience takes a few return trips so go to one in resort. They're also not exactly cheap (although you do get a lifetime guarantee), a friend got fitted in January in ValD, 4 hours and €850 later she got a lovely pair of boots. Also required at least 3 tweak trips. So if you have the time and cash, go for it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could also try Killy Sports - If memory serves, Bruno is worth asking for (if still there).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i used the surefoot in london and have been extremely happy with the boots.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dr John, €850?! That's the second time I've heard that amount from someone - what does it include? Seems crazy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@frank4short, can it wait until you get home? I'd go to Colin Martin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cannot go wrong in surefeet had boots from there 6 years ago best i ever had . had new liners put in in january old ones worn out .not cheap but 100% satisfaction .
three friends also went there after seeing how well fitted my boots were .
manager mark is ace as are all the others .
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@frank4short, go back to JoJo and ask him who you should go to as he does not have anything. I think from memory that he recommends someone up the road from him.

Although his demeanour is very 'dour' it's not how he really is - I think it's a mix of being naturally a man of few words and limited English. He gave my husband a lecture about not having the right socks that could have been taken as unhelpful, but turned out to be absolutely the right thing to do!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sj1608 wrote:
@frank4short, go back to JoJo and ask him who you should go to as he does not have anything. I think from memory that he recommends someone up the road from him.

Although his demeanour is very 'dour' it's not how he really is - I think it's a mix of being naturally a man of few words and limited English. He gave my husband a lecture about not having the right socks that could have been taken as unhelpful, but turned out to be absolutely the right thing to do!

Under that dour disposition, there is a wicked sense of humour.

A couple of years ago, when I got my boots from him, I had the greatest difficulty getting them off...they were brand new, the weather was colder than -20 making the plastic very stiff and they were my first pair of full Front Entry (previous boots were mid entry Salomon Integrals).

When I went back to get the Footbeds made, I asked if he had any tips on Boot Removal, as I found it nearly impossible. His answer was a very old fashioned look...before disappearing into the back of the shop and appearing with a couple of Dumbbells!! Toofy Grin

(He then did help - after I had taken my slagging).

Edit. I think the place you are thinking about is (Jean Charles) at Ski Fast across the road in Rue de La Poste.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 10-03-17 12:35; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@moseyp, boots, footbed, injection liners, consultation & lifetime guarantee. Another friend had some 2 year old surefoot boots purchased in Verbier, got new injection linings from the ValD shop, no charge.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sj1608 wrote:

Jojo's English is pretty good now. I used him for footbeds in my snowboard boots. His work is excellent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As OF says have you been to see Jean-Charles at Ski Fast in the same building as café Flo, he may have something in stock. His English is more that good enough and does a good line in sarcasm. When I bought my last pair from him he started with "Ah you are like me - you have legs like a flamingo".

But isn't it reassuring that Jo-Jo wont try and fob you off with something that wouldn't suit?

Finally, as we approach the end of the retail season you may find limited/no stock of some items, especially if you have more esoteric requirements ( a posh way of saying wonky feet!!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dr John, have you a rough idea of the breakdown? Friend of mine said the boots he bought were only about €300/€350 so the other stuff came to €550/€500, I thought surely it was the other way round which still seemed very dear
latest report
@moseyp, don't have the detail, but they were top of the range expert womens boots so probably around €400-450
ski holidays
We went to Nevada Sports about 10 years ago (2017 now) for a pair of for my boots for my wife after the chalet host told us about one of the seasonaires getting fixed up there. He was young and cocky and went in wanting the latest top end boots, he was told he could have one of two models as no other would suit him. One was bright green and he asked if they come in any other colours - that's the type of question a woman would ask came the reply. He came out with the bright green ones.
We walked in on the first evening and asked for a pair of boots, there was one other couple in the shop but we were told politely that we could look around but we would need to make an appointment to select a pair as he only dealt with one person at a time and no others, I'm not sure if it was JoJo or Frank. We duly returned and I was really impressed with the thoroughness of measuring. When the boots were fitted he picked up my wife's skis and rubbed the bases together and said the edges were proud, I asked him how he knew - because of the sound they make he replied. He then started to file the bases and pulled the file towards himself, I said that's unusual why do you file away from you (I'm and engineer by trade and profession so I'm no stranger to filing). He said that after 20 years preparing the French ski teams ski's he gets fed up of filing one way whereupon he took of a leather thumb guard to real that the outside muscle of his thumb was huge from all this work.

The boots have been wonderful and if/when I need a new pair I will do my best to get the same chap to fit them.

Our friend went in the next night and was told to come back the day after; he said that he would come in about 1pm - no I'm French we eat at lunchtime came the reply. He went back in the evening and got sorted out with a pair.
He is that good but who is he?
snow conditions
Sounds like JoJo to me from my experience of buying boots from him
snow report
My GF went in there last year and rejected the boots that Jojo told her she should have, as they had pink on them. This was after approx 30 minutes of measuring etc.

At first Jojo thought she was joking. Then there was a bit of a Mexican stand off. Then Jojo smiled with a sort of 'never darken my door again' sort of smile and we left. He fitted her existing boots and there was really nothing wrong with them. It's a good job she has fallen in love with them again.
latest report
No. €850 is absolutely nuts. Either it's the wrong number or the individual went in with a russian attitude and accent.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
No. €850 is absolutely nuts. Either it's the wrong number or the individual went in with a russian attitude and accent.
nope that's about standard in surefoot.... that will include a foam injection liner

that said i have just done a quick quote for someone wanting a foam liner and it is around £700-£750 depending on the boot (the liner itself is £220)

as a wise man once said you pays your money you takes your choice
ski holidays
I guess I didn’t add the cost of my foamed liners to the original costs of the boots... Embarassed

But .. why... ?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
.......But .. why... ?

Because they put you in an oversize shell and use the foam liner to fill the space. Easy money for a crap shell fit.
latest report
spyderjon you been to surefeet i val ?? no i thought not .
snow conditions
vipul wrote:

Why not do a shell check on your boots and prove us wrong.
ski holidays
vipul wrote:

No I haven't but I've had many customers in my shop with Surefoot boots that were too big.

Also witnessed a lady in my chalet showing off her new Surefoot (Verbier) boots a few years ago with great pride until I pointed out that her boots were the same shell size as mine but that her foot was 2/3 sizes smaller than mine. Did a shell fit and there was 30/35mm shell gap. They hadn't done a shell fit at all. Took her back to the shop the next morning & got her a full refund & then took her to another shop (can't remember her name) were she was properly fitted.

With Surefoot you're basically paying over the odds for a rebranded standard model shells that are available in any good boot shop, then they bin a perfectly good liner and use a foam liner to fill the voids of a generously fitting shell.

Yes, they may well have some very good fitters in their employ so you might get lucky but I stand by my earlier post as being Surefoots marketing strategy.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, ahhhh, as always, “follow the money”...
snow report
had mine fitted by mark in val ,checked shell size ,inspected my feet etc easily best fitting and pain free boots i have had . cannot recomend him and surefeet highly enough .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vipul wrote:
had mine fitted by mark in val ,checked shell size ,inspected my feet etc easily best fitting and pain free boots i have had . cannot recomend him and surefeet highly enough .

I have heard good reports of Mark Wilkinson...who I'm sure it is that you are referring to.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, yes that's him a real gentleman . spyderjohn "30/35mm shell gap " sounds like the fisherman who says he caught a whopper

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 10-11-17 10:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
vipul wrote:
....... spyderjohn "30/35mm shell gap " sounds like the fisherman who says he caught a whopper

Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy