Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seasonal Ski Shop Employee Wage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was hoping to get some insight on the typical wage for a ski shop employee in NZ (Christchurch)? I'm an American looking for work this winter and want to be able to negotiate a proper wage. I will likely be on the sales floor and have been fitting ski boots for 3 seasons in the US.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Chris
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Additionally, any insight on when I should show up looking for work in CC as well as how to find housing is greatly appreciated.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sarge McSarge is your man for this if anyone is on this site. Hopefully he will see this or PM him ? But, although Christchurch is on the right island, it is a little removed from the big south island skiing centres of Queenstown etc. Mt Hutt is the nearest reasonably sized field to Christchurch and its over an hours drive away so whils there must be a few ski shops in Christchurch there may not be that many. Would you not consider Queenstown where the bigger fields are and the big spenders go thus more ski outlets?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bj a day and bumming on Fridays , it's the NZ way. Mass unemployed, many low skilled drunks, money is not an option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Originally I was looking at living in Wanaka and skiing TC since I read they have the best terrain (I'm looking to maximize my skiing experience). But a friend who worked in NZ for 4 seasons sold me on living in CC and skiing the club fields since their are quite a few of them, the ski touring is great, and if the snow is shitty then you can mountain bike (is this true in the winter?). I'm confident I can get a job in Wanaka or CC (I'm exchanging emails with shops in both locations) but I guess I could still be swayed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Norrin, I'm not concerned about making a ton of money (it's the ski industry after all), I just want to make sure I'm not going in blindfolded.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Norrin Radd, You sound a bit like stanton there. Wash your mouth and keyboard with carbolic.

@robicano22, sorry, no idea about your questions, but welcome to snowHeads. There are a few kiwis on here, so I'm sure you will get sensible advice when the time zones line up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Thornyhill, it was a joke. STanton would have meant it. I do know a builder in Auckland who does have problems with drunken staff though.

From memory there have been threads on this previously and getting a firm offer is the most important part as there are more applicants than jobs.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NZ minimum wage is $15.something/hour. For a skilled bootfitter, happy with footbeds, punches, liner mods etc, try for $20. A general retail assistant would be on minimum wage.

Not sure about the Christchurch advice - that sounds less a ski season and more a normal life in a city where you take ski trips at the weekends. Are the fields close enough that you're not going to spend all day driving? Wanaka and QT are both horrendously overpriced places, but they are both close to the action and cool places to be.

NZ snow is variable at best, but I'm still not sure that you're going to be doing much mountain biking on the ski fields once the season's started.

Which shops are you talking to?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree with jiagedapng, Christchurch is like living in a small city, you can see hills but its not living in the mountains like Queenstown and Wanaka. These places have an outdoors feel and are focused on adventure sports, yes expensive but if its a choice (and you are not there to make your fortune) I would choose them over Christchurch for a season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy