Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming trip report (was rugby on TV)

Poster: A snowHead
Very simple question. Anyone with local knowledge know where I can't catch the 6nations this weekend in schladming?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-03-17 18:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jamescollings, simple answer.... should've stayed at my house wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will you be leaving the curtains open Puzzled

If not.... I think it'll be vpn to the UK and iPlayer/itvHub.
If I find a bar... I will report back for future generations/visits.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jamescollings, you won't find a bar Toofy Grin
and... I don't know how many times I spurt this excellent info VPN is rubbish!! Look for Smart DNS services instead!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Closing the loop... and a little trip report:
Firstly... Flangesax was perfectly right... there are no bars in Schladming that show rugby on TV. There are a number of bars that show a video of a log-fire however!
Watching on iPlayer/ITVHub worked perfectly well (I have a VPN to my office which streamed in Highdef without buffering).

Travel Report:
Flying from Gatwick to Salzburg on SleazyJet from Friday morning (7am flight) returning on Monday Afternoon (2pm flight). This isn't as handy as the Luton-Geneva flights that we normally take since the return flight (2pm for Salzburg vs 4pm for Geneva) limits the finalday skiing time a little.
Hired a car for the 1hr drive to Schladming. We prefer to do this rather than use a taxi/train since we have ultimate flexibility on leaving for the flight home. In this case, we left the mountain at 11am on Monday and after returning skis and getting changed out of salopettes we were at the airport at 12:30 for the flight.

SkiArea Review:
Schladming is basically 4 big mountains with a number of outlying small (~5 lift) villages. The whole area provides around 120km of skiing, so it is a slight culture shock compared to the huge French resorts (Paradiski, PdS, GrandMassif, etc). The majority of pistes are marked as Red, however many of these would be considered Blue in somewhere like Val d'isere. The result of this (in our opinion) was that there were very few beginners at the resort and we hardly saw anyone snow-ploughing down the middle of the piste.
Our "silly-boy" target this year was to ski every pisted run in the resort over the 2-full and 2-half days. We achieved this quite easily, and by the end of the trip had just passed the 100mile mark (as measured by Ski-tracks). Compare and contrast to the target for 2016 in GrandMassif (100mile) which we nailed after 2.25 days. The difference being that GrandMassif has the CruisyBlues which allow you to rack up the distance while looking at the scenary, whereas Schladming is more of a technically challenging resort where you need to concentrate on shorter Reds/Blacks.
It was a warm March and while the upper slopes on each mountain kept their condition throughout the day, the slopes at valley level got a little slushy from lunchtime onwards. The resort have done a very good job of keeping the slopes covered in snow, sometimes as a strip of white through fields of mud/grass.

Village Review:
Apart from the lack of Rugby and a propensity for log-fire TV, the bars and restaurants were always welcoming. Papa Joes always seemed popular for Pizza etc, and a visit to the surreal Tschuggamuggas bar has to be done (it is full of football scarves from around the world... but they don't show football!). I'm a middle-aged bloke... so didn't visit the clubs.. but I'm sure they're very nice!

Hotel Review:
We stayed at the Gasthaus Talbach. I had searched Booking.com for weeks looking for somewhere without success, and then enquired through the Tourist office who put us in contact. The hotel is a short walk away from the Market Square, by the river. This meant that it was nice and quiet through the evenings. They provide a ski-locker for each guest at the Planai gondola, so you don't need to lug stuff around. Bed&Breakfast was only €50 /night which was pretty good value for a town-centre location. The place was nice and clean and provided fast&free wifi (essential for watching Rugby, and working when you're self-employed!). Breakfast was a typical continental affair with cheese, meat, breads etc (nothing cooked) and filled us up for the rest of the day.

In summary... I would go back to Schladming, but not with the family (the slopes are too challenging for their level).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jamescollings, I think Hochwurzen (Rohrmoos) is a suitable area for learners.
The nursery runs are good and there is a steady progression to the blue runs.
I wouldn't discount it as unsuitable (Waynos has taught all his kids there a little.)

Did you get to Marias? That is a decent mexican place.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with @flangesax, we stayed at the Reiteralm end of Hochwurzen (near the top of the Fun Jet/Hochwurzen I) when we were out a few weeks ago. Every time we wanted to ski over to Haus or the Planai we had to go through the Rohrmoos plateau, it always struck me how gentle a place it would be to learn. Gentle slopes, nice and wide.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flangesax wrote:
Did you get to Marias? That is a decent mexican place.

In a short weekend we didn't get to sample Marias, but it was always busy and looked enticing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jamescollings wrote:
Closing the loop... and a little trip report:
Firstly... Flangesax was perfectly right... there are no bars in Schladming that show rugby on TV. There are a number of bars that show a video of a log-fire however!
Watching on iPlayer/ITVHub worked perfectly well (I have a VPN to my office which streamed in Highdef without buffering).

Travel Report:
Flying from Gatwick to Salzburg on SleazyJet from Friday morning (7am flight) returning on Monday Afternoon (2pm flight). This isn't as handy as the Luton-Geneva flights that we normally take since the return flight (2pm for Salzburg vs 4pm for Geneva) limits the finalday skiing time a little.
Hired a car for the 1hr drive to Schladming. We prefer to do this rather than use a taxi/train since we have ultimate flexibility on leaving for the flight home. In this case, we left the mountain at 11am on Monday and after returning skis and getting changed out of salopettes we were at the airport at 12:30 for the flight.

SkiArea Review:
Schladming is basically 4 big mountains with a number of outlying small (~5 lift) villages. The whole area provides around 120km of skiing, so it is a slight culture shock compared to the huge French resorts (Paradiski, PdS, GrandMassif, etc). The majority of pistes are marked as Red, however many of these would be considered Blue in somewhere like Val d'isere. The result of this (in our opinion) was that there were very few beginners at the resort and we hardly saw anyone snow-ploughing down the middle of the piste.
Our "silly-boy" target this year was to ski every pisted run in the resort over the 2-full and 2-half days. We achieved this quite easily, and by the end of the trip had just passed the 100mile mark (as measured by Ski-tracks). Compare and contrast to the target for 2016 in GrandMassif (100mile) which we nailed after 2.25 days. The difference being that GrandMassif has the CruisyBlues which allow you to rack up the distance while looking at the scenary, whereas Schladming is more of a technically challenging resort where you need to concentrate on shorter Reds/Blacks.
It was a warm March and while the upper slopes on each mountain kept their condition throughout the day, the slopes at valley level got a little slushy from lunchtime onwards. The resort have done a very good job of keeping the slopes covered in snow, sometimes as a strip of white through fields of mud/grass.

Village Review:
Apart from the lack of Rugby and a propensity for log-fire TV, the bars and restaurants were always welcoming. Papa Joes always seemed popular for Pizza etc, and a visit to the surreal Tschuggamuggas bar has to be done (it is full of football scarves from around the world... but they don't show football!). I'm a middle-aged bloke... so didn't visit the clubs.. but I'm sure they're very nice!

Hotel Review:
We stayed at the Gasthaus Talbach. I had searched Booking.com for weeks looking for somewhere without success, and then enquired through the Tourist office who put us in contact. The hotel is a short walk away from the Market Square, by the river. This meant that it was nice and quiet through the evenings. They provide a ski-locker for each guest at the Planai gondola, so you don't need to lug stuff around. Bed&Breakfast was only €50 /night which was pretty good value for a town-centre location. The place was nice and clean and provided fast&free wifi (essential for watching Rugby, and working when you're self-employed!). Breakfast was a typical continental affair with cheese, meat, breads etc (nothing cooked) and filled us up for the rest of the day.

In summary... I would go back to Schladming, but not with the family (the slopes are too challenging for their level).

Interesting post thanks. If you don't mind me saying, it may be worth cutting and pasting it to its own thread as it was only that I saw the word rugby I clicked on here, otherwise I would have missed it and it would be a shame if others did too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Interesting post thanks. If you don't mind me saying, it may be worth cutting and pasting it to its own thread as it was only that I saw the word rugby I clicked on here, otherwise I would have missed it and it would be a shame if others did too.

+1.

Very useful little report @jamescollings, thanks for posting.

I'm considering Schladming for our boys weekend next year. The skiing looks decent but I wonder whether there's enough to do in the evenings? In past years we have done Saalbach, Mayrhofen, Soll and Morzine and had a great time. Can anyone make comparisons with the Apres in any of these places and Schladming?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@EdYarker, whilst not being big on après, we do go out a bit. It's not as mad as Saalbach, but probably as good or better than Soll. There's enough liveliness going on, especially if you don't mind returning to the same places.

The other places you mention are more ski villages. Schladming is a proper town we really like it (this season we've been to Hinterglemm and Schladming).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @hammerite, I really like the look of it, but am worried the boys may find it a bit tame after Saalbach this year. I agree that Soll isn't especially lively, so had we done Soll then Schladming that might have worked.

I will do a bit more research but may leave it for a family holiday. We love Austrian towns, so should fit the bill.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How about Flachau? Pretty lively, good ski area on your doorstep, plus lift pass covers Schladming and other local ski areas.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @hammerite, I hadn't considered Flachau. Never thought of it as a lively town, but you think there's more going on there than Schladming?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@EdYarker, yes I'd say that it's probably a bit livelier than Schladming. The bars at the various base lifts are busy at the end of the day particularly the Dampfkessel and the Hofstadl. There's then a reasonable number of options for later drinks in/closer to town.

Holidaylover and Kooky are the experts on where to go when!
latest report
OK thanks @hammerite, I might start a new thread to see whether it grabs their attention.
snow report
@EdYarker, or ask on the Ski Amade conditions thread.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy